Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkremodel

Fixing a Pocket Door Hole

lkremodel
17 years ago

We have 4 pocket doors that are 30+ years old. Love them! Unfortunately, 1 door (hollow core) has a fist size hole/indention. Does anyone have an idea on how to repair this?

We're about to remodel the bathroom with this door and I was assuming that we'd just hang a new door. The GC doesn't seem to think that this would work. He thinks maybe we should cover the door with some kind of wood laminate.

Your ideas will be appreciated!

Comments (6)

• kudzu9
    17 years ago

If you cover it with laminate, that could work, unless you have a tight clearance. However, are you ok with the look of formica and fake wood grain? The alternative is to hang a new door. I don't know why this wouldn't be possible, other than that it's a little work. You usually have to remove the trim pieces so you have an opening the width of the door, and then you lift it off the tracks. Then you attach the hangers to the top of the new, properly-sized, replacement door, hang it, and then reattach the molding (or put on new molding if the old got too damaged when it was pried off).

• eal51
    17 years ago

My solution depends on whether you door is a stained finish or a painted finish. If you have a stained door, this process won't work, but if your door is painted white, which most interior doors are, it will. The process is similar to patching a hole in sheet rock.

I have just done this to a door that had a cat door in it. The door looks like there was never a hole cut in it.

First, square of the hole as best a possible.

Second, cut two or three pieces of wood to use as bracing. Glue these in the hollow section of the door so they run across the opening.

Third, purchase then cut a piece of 1/4 luan plywood to fit the hole. Glue this piece onto the bracing already installed.

Fourth, plastic wood any gaps. Sand smooth when dry.

Fifth, prime and paint.

Hope this helps and good luck with what ever choice you make.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

• pjb999
    17 years ago

Eal51 pretty much said what i was going to suggest, except I'd recommend car body filler over plastic wood, you get a much better finish and you can use it as thin or thick as you like. I've removed doorlocks and filled with this stuff and you really can't see where the hole was.

I can't see why the GC couldn't see replacing the door, either he/she is an incompetent, lazy, or a moron. But perhaps I'm too hasty :)

• lkremodel
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your responses! Unfortunately, the hole is on the wood side which faces our bedroom in a noticeable way. I think the best solution is to replace the door because we'll be tearing out the sink/vanity which abuts it and probably will end up damaging the door molding.

In fairness to the contractor, I asked him about "fixing it". The next communication will be about "replacing it."

One of the lessons learned is that if buying a house with these doors, be sure to open & close each one and look at it from both sides. While we've been living with this hole for a long time, I think as new buyers that we thought it might be easy to fix and didn't bother asking for previous owners to correct it. Big mistake.

It's amazing how the remodeling costs just keep going up.

• pjb999
    17 years ago

Presumably you have a wood finish/stain or something on the damaged side you wish to preserve?

What, by the way, is a 'pocket door?'

I wouldn't consider damage to the moulding - I presume you mean the trim around the door frame - as a reason to replace it, the trim is quite separate.

Consider also, just about everything about a door or door frame can be fixed, with skill and patience.

If it's just a plain hollow door, or even if it's a bit fancier than that, it shouldn't be costly to replace, if you want to match the old door, go to your local building recyclers/2nd hand building material place, chances are you'll find a door just like yours.

• edselpdx
    17 years ago

There's noting magical about the door used in a pocket door. It's a regular door, just hung from the top instead of on hinges. An undrilled (no door handle) hollow core should replace it pretty cheap. Hardware from the top of the old door should be easy to move to the new door. Just measure the current door for thickness, and H x W, and replace.