Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank58_gw

French door security vs. sliding glass doors

frank58
16 years ago

My wife and I want to replace the original sliding glass doors in our 1950's ranch house. We would like to replace them with two french doors, but the question of how secure they would be vs. a sliding door concerns us. Are french doors less secure than sliding glass doors? Most manufacturer's we've looked into have a dead bolt and additional bolting at the top and bottom of the active door. I'm considering getting them as out-swinging doors because I thought those would be more difficult to break into.

I've also seen a few posts that mentiont that Pella's quality is not what it used to be. Would Anderson or Jeld-Wen be preferrable over Pella?

Thanks for any input.

Comments (15)

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Imo, you should just get the door that is astetically pleasing to you because bottom line, if they want in bad enough, they will ,especially w/ glass doors of any type.

If you are concerned, i would put the money into a decent security system along w/ door choice. Thieves are lazy as a rule and will go for the easiest target, so doing what you can to slow them down lessens the chance for a hit, but if they want in bad enough, they will.

For outswing doors, you can get locking hinge pin hinges that make it harder, but a flat bar makes pretty quick work of any hinge especially if it isn't fastened into the framing members.

• frank58
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We have a security system. I was wondering if french doors were more vulnerable than sliding glass doors.

• rogerv_gw
    16 years ago

We have a double-French door as our front door, and it really seems secure. It is an Andersen, and has 3 point locking. When the door is locked the doors are locked into the frame at the top and bottom, and locked together as well. Seems very solid. Also, the locking mechanism pulls the doors closed tightly against the weather stripping, which keeps out drafts pretty effectively.

Very nice system. I haven't seen how the Pella works. The sliding French door that is onto our second story balcony seems not quite so secure. It is made by Eagle, and has about the same locking device as the Andersen sliding French doors that we've also had. They feel secure, but not as much as the swinging French door.

-Roger

• hendricus
    16 years ago

Electric chain saw and 2 minutes and I can cut a new doorway so make sure your outside outlets are all turned off.

Could use a gas model but they are noisy.

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I have the Pella (aluminum clad) french door unit leading out to my deck. Except for the glass it feels more solid and secure than my front entry which is an all wood unit.

I haven't heard about Pella's quality being different lately. I do know people say they find a difference in the doors sold by HD, but my doors were purchased thru a dealer. Their service and repair on a window unit with condensation problems was excellent.

• redbazel
    16 years ago

Ron, I had to laugh. When I was carrying on about locksets for the front door, My DH said almost exactly the same thing.

Red

• ron6519
    16 years ago

Red, my Dad used to say, "Locks were for honest people".
    Ron

• abejadulce_z9b
    16 years ago

Well, I live in Florida and the sliding doors are very common here. I don't know about the newer sliding doors, but the sliding doors on my 1981 vintage house can be removed simply enough: Put a lever under the door and remove it from the frame. IMO, French doors have GOT to be more secure.

We're about to go with impact glass all the way around the house - 11 windows, three exterior doors and three sets of sliding glass doors that will be converted to French doors.

B

• dmcentire_gmail_com
    13 years ago

If you haven't heard of a bump key, that will unlock any door :-)

• hardygirl2009
    5 years ago

I don't think bump keyes work on schlage locks.

• Bruce Crawford
    5 years ago
    First, sliders aren’t very secure, so almost any French door is going to be more secure. Years ago we replaced sliders w/ Anlin French doors in the DR. They use a multi-point locking system that is way more secure than the sliders. Ours are outswing, too, b/c if they were in-swing they’d be too close to chairs on that side w/ someone sitting on the chair. We got operating sidelights so we could have air flow w/ doors closed. I didn’t want a screen door for ease of entry/exit & looks w/ V-grooved glass. The sidelights are screened.
  • Bruce Crawford
    5 years ago
    BTW, most French door makers use Emtek locksets, which are sturdy. They’ll tell you they’re proprietary but if you to Emtek’s site, you’ll see multi-point locksets for brand of doors you’re considering. I learned this b/c I just changed the handset on my single doors to patio to match Anlin French doors. The locks can be keyed to match almost any Emtek or Schlage lock. My new front door has Emtek, so all exterior locks are the same. My original front had Kwikset, which was incompatible w/ Emteks in vinyl doors.
  • Bruce Crawford
    5 years ago
    Re the glass, your old sliders didn’t come w/ tempered glass. New doors do, & they’ll be doubled-glazed. Any intruder will make so much noise trying to break the glass, they’ll trigger your security system.
  • millworkman
    5 years ago

Bruce, hardygirl dug up an 8 year old post for no real apparent reason.