Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zipdee

Do you have a plate wall display?

zipdee
14 years ago

I'd love to see pics of your wall hung plate displays! Any pics you have would be great.

I have a pretty good sized area in the hall, between where the stairs leave off and a set of french doors begin to fill. It's seen from the kitchen area and I think it would be a good place for a plate wall, maybe with a narrow bench underneath. The wall color is a light green, I was thinking mixing old silver plate pieces with white stoneware maybe.

Comments (29)

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Mine is so small but I thought I would put it on anyways. The plates are white Ironstone (tea leaf pattern) from 1890's. A very small collection but I love that pattern and it is pretty hard to find.

The other picture is of my cousin's collection of blue tranferware. She has so many collections and I am green with envy. The goober standing in front of her blue dishes is me. (lol)

I think your narrow bench under your plate collection sounds wonderful. We want to see pictures.

....Jane

a href="http://s671.photobucket.com/albums/vv73/funnygirl350/?action=view&current=tealeafIronstone002.jpg"; target="_blank">{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• allison0704
    14 years ago

These were in the DR of our last home at one time. When we moved, I wanted to make the MBath more "room" like, so I have them over my vanity. Some are handpainted, a few by my paternal grandmother and some by a friend of hers. All are old. The large fruit plate was a wedding present to my parents 50+ years ago and DH bought the me largest plate one Christmas. I keep my maternal grandmother's china cigarette "set" on the vanity. (She didn't smoke.)

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

These are in the breakfast area.

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

These are in my kitchen -

• zoey75
    14 years ago

kmcg85..What type of plates are those..I love them..

sorry to intrude..

Thanks!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I stole this off some blog and it was on my computer. I think it's so good looking.

{{!gwi}}

• susan209
    14 years ago

I love all of the blue ones, I have some but not enough to do a wall as beautifully. I do have so many hand painted fruit ones that are now 90 yrs. old and hand painted by my grandmother, initialed and dated. They are very similiar to Allison's flower one 3rd row L 1st one and 2nd row 2nd to last on L. I just have all of that just packed away as I have no place to display it and really would love to sell it but don't know how to. I have something like 160 pieces of hand painted china. Included in there is a whole set of dinnerware with blue flowers, it's nice but nothing I would use. My three siblings have equal amounts. I suspect that back in that time period that ladies did much of that kind of china painting as I have seen it before. Some day I will get a digital camera and learn how to use it, then I can display here. I would love some answers on it.

• msrose
    14 years ago

Here's two inspiration pictures I saved. I can't remember who they belong to.

{{!gwi}}

Laurie

• tinam61
    14 years ago

Laurie - I'm pretty sure that bottom one is Cattknap's??? Unless it is Judith's. They both do amazing vignettes!

Susan209 - I couldn't bear to part with hand painted plates my grandmother had done! Do you not have a wall somewhere to display them? I wish you could show pics - would love to see.

tina

• zipdee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fantastic pictures, I love all of your wonderful displays!! I knew I could count on your guys for beautiful inspiration, thank you all for posting them.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Thanks zoey! I picked them up in Homegoods a few years ago. I loved the shape!

• User
    14 years ago

I have lots that were my paternal Grandmother's and also her parents were given one for their 50th. How are all of these hung? Where would I get those kinds of plate hangers? The pictures are so beautiful. What an eye you all have.

Jane you are cute as a button !! c

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Oh Caroline thank you but I saw your pictures too, great body and a great bustline. From one woman to another I think we can say that without feeling funny. If someone looks good I don't have a problem telling them so, and you were in great shape on that trail picture.

...Jane

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks Jane, it is nice to have be in shape. I really do try. Each year is better than the last..not sure how long that will last but since I am almost 60 I will take it LOL.

So now where do I get that kind of plate holder that is in all the pics ??? :) c

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

trailrunner, most of the plate holders I use can be found at Michael's. They are metal, with plastic tips covering the ends that grip the plate edge. They usually come in varying sizes, suitable for smaller plates, bowls or large platters. I've also seen them for sale online, search for "plate holders".......

Here is a link that might be useful: Like these

• lindac
    14 years ago

Nanny....those plates are fabulous!! Especially the willow platters!
    Linda C

• ttodd
    14 years ago

Here is a display that I'd saved by Ginger Barber:

• allison0704
    14 years ago

That's gorgeous.

I went to my favorite antique store this week. They have a month long sale each January and July. Could not believe all the brown and purple transferware I saw. Kept thinking of my GW buddies who collect it. lol I've never seen purple locally before this week. Maybe I've just never noticed.

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Someone was in Hanna Antique's, huh? Gawd I love their stuff and I think it is one of the best shops in Birmingham.

Not just for in the home but they have great architectural pieces for the garden and such.

I have family that collects purple and I'll have to tell them about it.

Wishing everyone a happy fourth.

I feel like making a big coconut cream pie w/heavy whipping cream this year.

......Jane

• User
    14 years ago

Thanks for the tip on the holders. I have lots of beautiful plates and love the pics posted here. Will have to see where I might be able to do something similar. c

• nanny2a
    14 years ago

Lindac, thank you for your kind words. While I love the Blue Willow platters, they actually aren't as old and cherished as much of my Middleport and New Wharf flow blue pottery is. I have 40 pieces of these patterns, and much enjoyed collecting them with my mother during my younger years. I also have many pieces of the less valuable Blue Willow stored away.

Although decorative, we still use the Non Pariel soup plates and Waldorf bowls quite regularly. It gives me pleasure to use them, knowing that someone else, over 100+ years ago, had them in use at their own table.

• zoey75
    14 years ago

kmcg85,

Thanks..I have a homegoods right near me. I love the look of your home (from what i can see)..calm, simple and clean with style. Have you any more pics anywhere?
    Thanks Again!

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I incorrectly listed the wrong designer. The designer of the rm. I posted is Jackye Lanham not Ginger Barber.

I hear the purple is hard to find and called Mulberry Transferware or black transferware? Very pretty stuff indeed!

• allison0704
    14 years ago

Someone was in Hanna Antique's, huh? Gawd I love their stuff and I think it is one of the best shops in Birmingham.

Don't give away our secret! lol I didn't find much this week, but I've been twice this past month. I'll go again before the sale is over, just in case.

The Mulberry transferware is in one of the small booths, to right of stairs going up. Can't miss it. Probably 4 or 5 pieces.

My mom used to buy me a chocolate cream pie from the Bright Star for my birthday each year, but we've moved and now DH orders something from Edgar's Bakery - the new one on 119, just off 280. I told him "I hope it wasn't red, white and blue." ;D He said he told them to half the decorations on a display cake - I have a feeling he was calling them today to change. lol They are open tomorrow, so he'll pick up then. Can't wait!

• juliepam
    14 years ago

These are some great wall displays. They have given me some great ideas. I have put up a display in my house and used adhesive plate hangers rather than wire hangers. They look like the plate hangers on this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plate Hangers

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Registering today to show us their plate hanger gizmos. I can't believe these spammers. Some sights are just filled to the gill with spamming of all sorts of unrelated posts and comments.

• laurmela
    14 years ago

Mine is hard to post cause it is in a hallway of sorts.

Still need to find some sort of cover for that doorbell, ugh!

But I do enjoy it. Getting ready to do another one of North
    Dakota plates that belonged to DH's grandmother.

• jaybird
    14 years ago

LauraElla, if you can find a red and white transferware bowl the right size to hang over the door bell, it will solve your problem and not muffle the chime. Just put the back side out and the "bowl" side over the doorbell.
    All of your walls are beautiful!!

• angeldog
    14 years ago

LauraElla....I have a door bell chime in a hallway too...I just painted it the same color as the wall.....hardly ever notice it anymore!

Love everyone's plate displays and inspiration pics.