Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thuha_gw

Should I convert a 4th bedroom into loft area?

thuha
18 years ago

Our downstair is 750sft (kitchen, living and dinning room). The upstair is 1250 (4 bedrooms), which is built on top of the garage. The master bathroom and WIC together are as big as one room. Anyway, since it is very small downstair, and we have a 2 years old, we are thinking about converting the 4th bedroom into the loft. The loft will have a desk for office/homework, a murphy bed hide in the closet, a sitting area and tv of course (10x10). Do you think it is a good idea? I hope that by having a 2nd living area, we can use the extra 4th bedroom wisely. Right now it is the nursery 'cause it is right above the stair way and next to our master, if we make it a loft, the nursery will move to other room. I am kinda worried that the value of the house will go down 'cause we have 3 bd instead of 4. What do you think?

Comments (11)

• lyfia
    18 years ago

I would check and see how much a 4th bedroom is worth in your area. In mine it didn't seem to matter much so previous owners took away part of it and made a laundry room. I'd rather have the laundry. However I still don't know what to do with the remaining 9x11 room that now doesn't have a window. They didn't plan it very well when they did it.

If a 4th bedroom is a must (ie people want it when buying a house) or you loose value by removing it, could you still use the room as is for what you intended. It is always nice to be able to close the door when working or when wanting to watch something on TV and not disturb others.

• thuha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, we can use the 4th bedroom as office/playing/entertaining; however, since it is a room, it doesn't have the open feel like a loft, and if my 2 yr old is in the room by himself, I can't really hear him, but w/ a loft, it is wide open, and you can easily to see or hear him... We watch HGTV alot and got an idea to use sliding door, so we can close for privacy, and once open, it still has the openess instead of wall and 4 pannel door right now (I have to check w/ the designer to see if it is practical). We also have a murphy bed installed, so if the guest stays over, they can close the sliding door... How can I check if the value of the house decrease by making it a loft? w/ the realtor? Thx.

• clg7067
    18 years ago

One of my neighbors is trying to sell their 3 bedroom home with a finished basement.

The major drawback they are getting from comments is, lack of a 4th bedroom.

Just something to think about.

• patches123
    18 years ago

WOuld it be that hard to put the walls back up if/when you go to sell? How long do you plan to be there?

• thuha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

If we do this, we are going to stay there for at least 5 yrs or more, who knows... But since we are going to remodel kitchen/bathroom at the same time, so we of course will stay there for long. In order to make it a loft, I will have to break down one wall only (w/ the door and the electrical outlet/switch). So it will cost money to move the electrical outlet to the other wall. And since it is one wall, I don't think it is that hard to put it up again if the future owner doesn't like a loft, but again, I don't know how much it cost to build a wall, you know... I just don't want to create a mess and regret later... So I would like you opinion. And anyone who has a loft upstair, do you think it is useful? I am afraid that we make a loft, and still go downstair for activities :-(

• lyfia
    18 years ago

Yes, I would check with realtors to see what is popular in your area. Could you open the wall up and put bifold doors instead of removing the wall fully. Ie still have some side walls. This would make it easier to return it to a bedroom if anybody wanted to later.

Also have you checked to see if the wall in question can be removed? Is i load bearing or not?

• patches123
    18 years ago

Building a wall is not hard --- we are doing this in my moms house this weekend. You need to find out if its load bearing or not before its removed. My mom also removed a non load bearing wall herself and then we moved the electrical for her. If it was my house, and it would make it more useful and I planned to be there for 5+ years and I knew I could put it back when selling if needed, I would do it. We had a loft in our last house (it was a 1.5 story) and we used it for our office/computer area. I also was in a house that is like what you described -- they had the builder do the 4th bedroom as a loft and used it for an office area and it made the house look so much bigger.

• thuha
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I will find out if the wall is removable. I thought I can be ok w/ the interior designer, but since it involves removing wall, I guess I have to hire an architect huh? I will try my best to make it easy for the future owner if he wants to make it a bedroom again.

• lyfia
    18 years ago

You might look into consulting a structural engineer instead of an architect.

• patches123
    17 years ago

Yes, engineer not architect. A structual engineer should be able to look at it and tell you if it is a non load bearing wall. Load bearing ones can be removed but are more difficult as you have to plan for how the load will be carried by another structure, such as a column.

• chrisk327
    17 years ago

if you don't want to take out the electric you could create a half wall with a wood cap/ledge instead of removing it entirely and leave the outlet there.

In my area, if the bedrooms are a decent size you would always want the 4th bedroom for resale. But if its only one wall it can always be put back easily.