Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malhgold_gw

Would You Choose Any of These Tables?

malhgold
11 years ago

Current table pictured here is going outside on the deck. Would you choose any of these as a replacement? Thanks!

Pine 84"X40" also has 2 20" leaves for end of table. Benefit: Can seat alot of people as needed for holidays/gatherings. Con: might be too farmhousy?

78"X48:Pro: Aesthetically works with kitchen. Con:Not as comfortable for 8?

Oak 48" round extends to 68" Benefit: Love to mix old and new. Con: won't seat as many as other tables.

Comments (24)

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

Definitely #1.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    11 years ago

Agree with Sue! Even though the rooms have a modern vibe, the pine one is warm and welcoming and seemingly the best size for your family.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Although I like the pine one I feel you need one a little edgier aka CB2 tables etc. The others are a no from me too.

• sochi
    11 years ago

How often do you need to sit more than 6? More than 8? I'm not loving the pine in your space I'm afraid...

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I like #2.

#1 would be okay I think but I would put a driftwood finish on it.

I don't like #3 at all.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

In a word, no.

I like your idea of adding warmth with more rustic wood, but #1 is too Early American homemade for your sleek European style. That delicate table won't stand up to it.

Better to find something old with some muscle...more like one of these:

• jakabedy
    11 years ago

bronwynsmom beat me to it. I think if you're wanting wood, you need to go chunkier than the first table in your list. And I think the claw-foot tables are just wrong.

I was thinking something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: ABC Home chunky dining table.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Great minds, jakabedy!
    And of course, there's always Restoration Hardware....their latest Belgian reclaimed wood groups are somewhat less monumental in scale, and might be worth a look.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Yes, I agree - I like the third picture of bronwynsmom choices, or the teak table in jakabedy's post.

I do like the second table you posted, but it looks like it will only seat 6?

• malhgold
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your opinions!! Guess I wasn't 100% sure on any of them and that's why I asked. So would something like this work?

Big Sur C&B

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I think it could. You do run the risk of too many strict rectangles, which is why I like the idea of something a little quirky underneath - but of the more modern ones, this one is in line with your style, I think.

Here's a link to the ones at Restoration Hardware...given your preferences, I would think that the "Flatiron" table would appeal to you...?

Here is a link that might be useful: Restoration Hardware Tables

• luckygal
    11 years ago

Is there a particular reason you are putting your current table on the deck? IMO it's really good for that room and it might be easier to find a table for the deck. Just a thought.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

I like many of the tables you posted. But I would pick #1 for your kitchen.
    Looks great with your space and aesthetic.

• les917
    11 years ago

I like the third one, but paint the base the same color as the grey cabinets in the kitchen, and paint the ball in the claws either an accent color or black. Or paint the pedestal black, and then do the balls in a painted brushed nickel finish.

It gives you the warmth of the wood, but the curves that the space needs to balance so many hard angles everywhere.

Honestly, the first one looks cheap to me compared to the rest of your space. The Saarinen-look table doesn't seem weighty enough in that open floor plan.

• beekeeperswife
    11 years ago

I haven't seen this one in person, maybe you have and you hate it....but I wanted to get to West Elm to check it out for myself but we happened into a Crate and Barrel and accidentally stumbled upon their Graham dining table for a steal. So, never went to see this one....

But check it out, also do look at the ones on Crate and Barrel. There are some that are rustic but not too RH rustic. Those table scare me with splinters!

Here is a link that might be useful: Emmerson Dining Table

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Put me in the group that thinks the table you are moving to the deck is better than those three for your room (they aren't bad tables - just not right for this purpose).

If you want a plainer slab top table, I think I like that one with the metal legs best. I do like some of the RH ones with more detail too. Some interesting tables.

• sochi
    11 years ago

I like the big sur malhgold. I think it would work well. Google it on images, there are several pictures of it in quite contemporary and/or modern kitchens, I think it looks great. The emmerson is cool too.

• User
    11 years ago

I like the one you are moving to the deck! It looks completely right for the space in terms of size, color and style. The other tables look like they were chosen to provide a rustic counterpoint to the rest of the furnishings. I understand the design energy created by the tension of contrasting styles, but IMO it would look forced in your room--- which is spectacular, I might add. The thing that comes closest is the Belgian worktable with iron legs, but I still like your original table best.

• SaraKat
    11 years ago

I humbly assert that none of the three is right for your space. I especially do not like the second and third one. If I had to choose from the lot I would choose the first one. But I like the table with the "Tiffany Deco" tag that bronwynsmom posted. That is gorgeous and would look great in your home which is beautiful BTW.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

I also really like your current table and look for something else for the deck.

If you are looking for some more rustic modern, do you have a World Market near you? They have some really interesting tables.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Here's the photo of the Flatiron table from Restoration Hardware - I think it has a nice balance of rustic chunkiness in the top, and lightness in the metal base, so as not to be overwhelming in your rooms.

Here are your options for its dimensions:

60" Table: 60"L x 32"W x 30"H; 56 lbs.
    72" Table: 72"L x 36"W x 30"H; 77 lbs.
    92" Table: 92"L x 35"W x 30"H; 98 lbs.
    112" Table: 112"L x 39"W x 30"H; 114 lbs.

• jessicaml
    11 years ago

I like the table bronwynsmom posted. Similar elements to your current table that most everyone likes, but on a lighter scale.

However, it seems like perhaps you're trying to add the warmth and texture of wood? Do you have any Shaker furniture makers near you?

Here is a link that might be useful: Shaker Harvard Trestle Dining Table

• malhgold
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone for your comments!!! I think I'm going to take your advice and stick with what I have and look for something for the outside instead. Part of my quest was to try and add warmth to the room, but maybe I should start with window treatments(which I've been struggling with committing to) and some plants and see where that takes me.

Thanks again!!!

• lascatx
    11 years ago

Are those new chairs or ones that need to stay (only see two)? You could add some color there too. I see gold in the picture and wood, maybe a deep red/burgundy?