Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerc_gw

Please help me pick paint color for laundry room..

summerc
13 years ago

I made this curtain for my laundry room:

I matched the green paint to it, but after I painted, I hated it! I tried a glaze on it that was several shades lighter on the same paint chip & still didn't like it. Now I don't know what to do!

The laundry room can be seen from the kitchen kind of through a hallway area. The kitchen is painted navy blue, so I need something that will mesh well with that.

The laundry rm. was previously khaki, & it looked nice, but I was hoping for a change. Now I'm scared to try anything different & am tempted to go back to khaki.

I had also tossed around the idea of trying to find the red color in the flowers, but am worried I won't find the right color. I also considered a nice cream, but wonder if it would be too blah. The green in the curtain is kind of a muddy sage color. Any suggustions for a paint color??? THANKS!

Comments (5)

• Oakley
    13 years ago

A light yellow would be pretty with the navy in your kitchen. And you could leave the curtains up too and the room would be like a garden color.

I'd love to see your navy kitchen!

• summerc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Oalkleyok for the suggestion. There is a little bit of yellow in with the flower print. Does anyone have any suggestions of a pretty soft yellow?

Oakley...I used to have pics of my kitchen & even posted them on this forum a few yrs. ago, but now I can't find them. And it's not picture ready right now, so I will just have to describe it to you. It is Americana themed w/ cute chachkees (sp?) above the cabinets on the plate rails. I have a big rusty looking star above the stairway off of the kitchen, white rustic/peely paint table. I had the navy in my living room in my old house & loved it so much, I made it work in the kitchen in this house.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

Gosh...I like what you have going on there...those greens look great and you did a fabulous job on your curtain. If it was me, I would place a border where the light color stops and dark begins...something to match your red fabric.

Here is a link that might be useful: borders

• msrose
    13 years ago

One of my favorite colors for laundry rooms right now is green. I like the green you used, but I could also see a softer green. I'm on my way out the door right now, but I'll check my inspiration file later and see if I have any pictures of what I have in mind.

Laurie

• kayec28
    13 years ago

I think your instinct to go with green is correct, and there's no reason the right shade of green shouldn't go with navy. I just think you need to veer away from olive and go with a leafy or spring green. I have two recommendations for you.

1. Sherwin Williams Ryegrass. I first saw this on an Apartment Therapy post under "The perfect green." It inspired me to go out and try a sample of it myself and I loved it so much I'm about to paint a room in my house that color. It looks like it would go with the color scheme you already have in your laundry room.

2. Glidden's Fennel. You have to ask for them to make it for you, because it's not in a sample bottle or in their paint decks out on the floor, but they do still have the formula. This is in the same color family as Ryegrass, but a lighter green, without being minty or turning yellow.

These are both great colors, if you choose to stay with green.

I've linked to a picture of Ryegrass below, and here's a couple of links for Fennel...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/61/198029036_b3d03d14f7_o.jpg

http://perpetualrenovator.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/dscf2554.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: