Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cstrombe

Paint removal with pressure washer

Chris Stromberger
17 years ago

The previous owner did a poor job of painting the exterior of our house--paint flaking off easily, probably not painted in decades, has some mildew. It's a 1959 ranch style brick house, with paint only on the wooden roof eaves, fascia and the board that runs above the windows/bricks. Wondering about using a pressure washer to wash off as much old paint as possible before hand scraping & sanding. I have never used a pressure washer, so looking for tips and advice. I hear they can be dangerous (to persons and to materials) if not properly used. My wife is high on buying one to use around the house, for this job, and for cleaning our wooden deck, washing the house bricks off, cleaning the driveway/concrete around the house, etc.

So, is pressure washing the old paint a good idea? What's a decent PSI/GPM to aim for in a pressure washer that will accomodate removal of already-flaking paint, deck cleaning, brick cleaning, etc? Gas or electric?

Here's a link to a picture of the house. I don't have a good one showing the flaking paint.

House Pix

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (3)