Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynn2012

Please show me pictures of your framed landscape pictures

susanlynn2012
12 years ago

Please show me pictures of your framed landscape pictures or even pictures of field of flowers or something that you feel will help me in making a decision (i.e., a picture with no white in it but has a white mat). I have been wanting a picture of a landscape but I am having problems finding one that I love.

I am trying to decide if this picture I love has too much green in it and if I should frame it with a white mat (has no white in it) or an off-white mat that will not match the white lamp shades and the white baseboard trim in the room but may soften the picture despite the yellow look at night or leave it with just a frame and no mat.

After I see some pictures, I will take a picture of my family room where I placed the sofa against the big wall again so now I would like a picture over it. I have lived here 13.5 years and have no pictures in my family room. I finally got framed a picture of a Japanese tree for my home office and I love it so much but it is mainly of the tree and a brook. The picture I love for the family room is a Japanese Garden and again it has the red trees in it that I wanted to liven up my beige/taupe family room but has a lot of different shades of green more in person than I visualized on the screen. Maybe I will get used to so much green since the picture is pretty.

Comments (8)

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Here are two of mine:

From Art

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mjsee, thank you for showing me both pictures. I feel the white mat looks great despite no white in the picture! Thank you! The other picture without a mat looks great also since the frame goes so well with the picture. I also love the picture with the bright white mat with the two adorable children. The other pictures with no mats look great also since they are framed so nice.

caroscbran, I put your link in a click-able URL to see it more easily and I love the length of the picture for above a sofa and the picture is so nice. If I go without a mat, I think I will have to go up a size in the picture and if I go with a mat the picture will be a little less long than yours with the smaller 40 X 30 size I planned to go with. I have had no picture in the family room for 13.5 years and all of a sudden I want a picture on the wall now that I know I will not be putting a flat screen on that wall since I don't like the sofa facing that wall which will get in the way of walking to the kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: caroscbran's landscape picture she has above her sofa

• edie_thiel
    12 years ago

I love landscapes, and I love big pictures on walls rather than small clusters. Sorry about the quality of these photos, but I snapped them quickly this evening in bad lighting and was trying to avoid using a flash.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kees_Lover, Thank you for sharing your landscape prints framed showing me so many different ways a picture can be framed and look nice. I really do appreciate all the helpful people on this decorating site. I am now thinking that I like my print despite how much green it has so I have to decide on a frame. I will try to take pictures tomorrow. My sofa and recliner are called taupe but to me is a leather by Natuzzi that is more on the beige taupe side and is very neutral but does not like gold frames and since I have two glass lamps with chrome bases and chrome filaments on top of the very white shades on the glass tables next to the sofa and a triangle glass table in front with the green glass edging, BM Bone White Walls, White baseboard molding and Brazilian Cherry Floors, I am wondering if a Bronze frame will go or will it clash with the sofa or the chrome? Bronze is more of a brown right? I also like a brown espresso very ornate frame but I wonder if it would be too dark. My picture if of Japanese Maple trees with dark Pine Trees and some other lighter green trees and some trees with orange and yellow but the green dominates with red the second color. There is a bridge and a green pond probably from algae. My room needs some color so bad and I wish I had chosen a dark brown or Mahogany sofa and not taupe years ago since it took me a year to buy some furniture when I bought my first home.

Do you think a 40"X 30"size print would be good that will get bigger with a mat and frame for an 81" long sofa? I never bought pictures before except for the small framed prints in 2007 from JCPenney. I went there and they have no more framed prints for sale in their store.

• edie_thiel
    12 years ago

Size of picture - I like to try for at least 2/3 the length of whatever the picture sits above. It just looks more "balanced" to me. Your picture is 40" and your sofa is 81" - so, picture would be only 1/2 the length of your sofa. With matting and framing, the length will be greater and will look more balanced over your sofa. If it doesn't seem quite long enough, then use another item or two to balance out the "weight" of the sofa. I'll try for some pictures to show you what I mean.

Regarding frames - I'm finding that black frames (as long as the frame is the right thickness to carry visual weight) will almost always work if you are worrying about clashing colors.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kees_lover the framed picture will be 48 X 38 when done if I choose the 2" Frame with two mats. I also was thinking around 54" wide would look best but the next size up can't be framed online and then I would be force to frame the print locally due to the size. So far the print without the frame looks not balanced to me when I place it above the sofa. I ordered it first as a print to be sure I loved it before deciding on which frame and which mats.

I loved the black framed picture I placed just a few days in my home office but when I bring the framed print to the family room, the black seems to not go due to no black int he room but my TV. I brought down the bronze frames from my bathroom and a dark espresso clock from upstairs and a medium brown throw and they all look nice with the sofa. The gold frames I have in small little pictures and the big one that I had upstairs looks way too yellow gold for the sofa and does not go at all. I thought of a silver picture frame but the picture did not look that great in a silver frame unless it was pewter and ornate.

I do love an ornate crinkled antique bronze frame that is 2" wide but two sales women on Art.com both feel it is too busy for the Japanese Garden Landscape print. They both feel I should use a plane Walnut 1.75" wide frame that is traditional and feel the crinkled antique bronze frame was only for old works of arts and prints made to copy old works of art. But I love the look of the bronze frame. What do you think? I will try to post some pictures.

I have to figure out how to log into that new site that took over my picture site to post some pictures.

• susanlynn2012
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Link to my post where I posted pictures of the three framed prints. I still need to take pictures of the family room and post tomorrow if I have time since I am not good at downloaded pictures without my camera's docking station that does not work with my new computer that has Windows 7 on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my post where I posted pictures of the three framed prints.