Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren0319

Help me choose a chandy for my "pedestal" dining room.

lauren0319
10 years ago

**see original post, linked below, for many more pics.

You all have been so helpful and really made me excited for a little dining room refresh. I was all set to order the capiz chandy. I am just so drawn to it. However, I was chatting with a neighbor whose opinion I value and she came over to look at my room. Remember, the furniture needs to stay and with the exception of recovering the chairs, I'm not willing to alter it. Neighbor says the furniture is just way too traditional and the capiz chandy would look out of place. So now I'm really torn bc I value all of YOUR opinions as well :) I do see her point.
So I'm leaning away from the capiz and have found these chandeliers that I like as well.

***ETA clicky links further down***

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-4-light-Chrome-Crystal-Metal-Bubble-Shade-Chandelier/5152199/product.html?searchidx=1

http://www.westelm.com/products/9881681/?catalogId=31&bnrid=3918508&cm_ven=Google_PLA&cm_cat=Lighting&cm_pla=Chandeliers_+_Pendants&cm_ite=West_Elm_Panorama_Chandelier&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=30-226898788-2

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Indoor-4-light-Chrome-Antique-Bronze-Chandelier/5244439/product.html

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/ETHAN-HOME-Silver-Mist-Hanging-Crystal-Drum-Shade-Chandelier/6002814/product.html?searchidx=4

Or???? I'd really like to keep the price under $400. Remember, I'm wanting to brighten and refresh this room. This is the first room you see when you enter our home and I want the chandy to be a WOW piece if possible.

As always, I appreciate your help!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Original GW post

This post was edited by lauren0319 on Sun, Jul 21, 13 at 10:04

Comments (28)

• amykath
    10 years ago

Well since I posted the #4 option chandy as a suggestion in the original post I am still voting for it! I think it is nice adn crisp and bright. The others seem a little darker and moody vs. bright and airy. JMO though.

Looking forward to see what you decide!!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I really like the Panorama one from WE because it's unusual and makes a statement Also love the shape. However, you said that you needed to swag it, and I'm not sure that this would work with the two cords it's hanging of.
    Of the Overstock ones, I like the second one (3), then the first (1), and then the last (4). I think the ones with the metal patterns are a little more interesting.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I like a touch of the unexpected. The rectangular fixture you posted would accomplish that, although I would prefer one that is more sparkly, but they may be too expensive. I am linking to a George Nelson fixture - there are several different shapes/styles of this one. It might look very cool in your room and offer an interesting juxtaposition of styles that compliment each other.

ps. It makes it easier for people to view if you paste your link in the box for "Optional Link URL" below the message box. You will have to do it in multiple posts, but it is a pain for readers to copy and paste from a message and lots of posters just skip over those.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nelson at DWR

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cyn427- I also like the look of the unexpected!! Yet I don't want my decor to clash.
    And TY for the tip of just linking in multiple posts. I'm going to do that right now. I haven't figured how to make links "clicky" in a single post.
    SO- for anyone wanting to click and view- stay tuned.

Here is a link that might be useful: #1

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

West Elm Panorama

Here is a link that might be useful: #2

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#3 from Overstock

Here is a link that might be useful: #3 antique bronze

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

#4 from overstock. I like the clean lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ethan Home Silver Mist drum #4

• User
    10 years ago

I like 4 but 3 is a very close second.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

I say 4....I think the first two are too contemporary for your space.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    10 years ago

#4 is my favorite by far. The ones with the darker designs int he shade looked a bit 'cheap' to me when not lit. The West Elm one also looks not-so-nice when turned off as it does lit.

The Ethan one is neutral so will go with anything, won't limit the fabric for recovering the chairs, and looks equally nice whether it's off or on.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Did you decide on a rug? I think you should tentatively pick all, but not actually order until everything is in place.

As-is your room is traditional, but since you are changing things up, I would not want you to get with a style that reads traditional since you are trying to get away from that.

I like 2 but it will fight the shape of your table. You do need the curves of 3 and 4.

• geokid
    10 years ago

I like 4 the best.

Have you seen the Camille from Ballard? Two of those placed one on either end of your dining table would look stunning.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camille Light Fixture

• lauren0319
    Original Author
    10 years ago

geokid- I dont know if I should love you or hate you for throwing those into the mix! They're gorg! Plus, my youngest daughter's name is Camille! Almost meant to be! ;)
    So, everyone- consider those option #5

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I think the Camille is too small and won't throw enough light. Oh, I see geokid recommended two. That's only 80 watts, though.

I like something with contemporary styling that references a traditional shape.

Here is a link that might be useful: Something along these lines

This post was edited by alex9179 on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 14:43

• geokid
    10 years ago

Definitely a sign! :)

I think there are 4 40W bulbs in each fixture. So that's 160W per fixture. If there are two fixtures, that would be plenty. Especially if you have the can lights for when you need it to be brighter.

Obviously, I choose #5. Plus it would look beautiful from the bottom when you are sitting at the table.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

Oh! I see where they are, couldn't find the bulbs for the life of me until I magnified.

Ok, are you going to call an electrician to put in two more boxes or swag two fixtures?

• amykath
    10 years ago

Well 2 #5's would be stunning assuming you weren't going to swag them. However, they are IMO too formal and glitzy for your furniture and the feel of your home. You seem to have a more relaxed style.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Sorry, but I wouldn't do two of #5. I had to figure out why that idea bothered me when I was looking at the photo of the DR. They would be hanging in front of two doors and two windows and only Noah needs that many pairs filing in together. I'd much prefer a single fixture in that room.

I like #4, but check your size. I'm afraid it might be a good bedroom fixture but look small over you table, especially with the wide opening. You also need it to stand up to all the glass in the doors and windows.

I don't like the metal shade ones with your furniture. If you want to mix in something unexpected and contemporary, I'd go more in this direction --
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Also from Overstock

This post was edited by lascatx on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 16:29

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I like the last one lascatx posted. Or a similar one, also from Overstock. Both have lots of excellent reviews
    {{!gwi}}

• Rory (Zone 6b)
    10 years ago

I like #4

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I like those last two the best. I think either one would be just perfect there. I agree that the ones posted earlier would end up looking too small and these would add the sparkle and be the best shape and size.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Oh, nosoccermom! You posted the kind of thing I was thinking of when I first saw her photo. I didn't look further on Overstock (I'm already killing time I should be spending on something else), but the wavy would be great -- a little softer. It's a marriage of the large rectangles behind and the curves of the furniture. It is unexpected, but still adds formality. I like either of the rectangles. They are simple, yet dramatic and unique enough for your pedestal DR.

OK, Lauren -- you can't say we aren't giving you ideas! LOL

ETA: I showed the disc chandelier that is in my bedroom on your other thread. Just to balance your neighbor's view -- that one is in a traditional home with traditional dark furniture and I love it.

This post was edited by lascatx on Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 22:29

• lascatx
    10 years ago

So, Lauren, after we all threw lots of ideas into the pot, stirred it up and muddied the waters, have things settled down enough to find a direction? You have a lot of good options and I hope you will post back with what you chose and other progress in the room. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Lascatx, I think I actually like the one you posted better. Somehow the wavy one reminds me of a Vegas bar dancer's skirt ...

• lascatx
    10 years ago

I am liking the straight one better too, but the one you posted reminded me of one I saw that was an uber expensive crystal one. The waves on that one may have been horizontal rather than vertical. Is it becoming obvious that I can play with a lot of different ideas? The chandelier hanging in my DR is nearly a total opposite of what I thought I was looking for, but I love it. And the one in my bedroom -- same thing. LOL

I just hope we didn't frustrate the OP or drive her away. I want to see what she does with that room! :)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

I am hoping she comes back, too, to show us what she does or at least tell us her thoughts! I do love that straight rectangular fixture for her space.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Me too.

While we wait, in case anyone is curious, this may be the fixture I saw on the Schonbeck home page a year or two ago. It also could have been a different size or custom configuration, but it was over traditional furniture in a rather neatral/transitional room and was just striking.

This is the other one I was thinking of -- probably at least 10 times the OP's budget, but the Overstock fixture gives a lot of the same impact, especially from the entry and adjoning room, for a bargain price.

Anyway, that was where the inspiration came from.

• lascatx
    10 years ago

Okay, bumping this up again in hopes we'll here how things are progressing and also to post this link for another rectangular idea if a lighter finish is an option. I like the fixture but think the OP was looking for a darker finish?

My search for a breakfast room fixture continues. We waited months to get one that arrived damaged and is on back order again. I'll be looking again -- maybe we can both find something soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: Joss and Main