Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dreambuilder_gw

Ideas to fix curb appeal and roof line--or bulldoze?

dreambuilder
10 years ago

This house was built in 1976 and has not been remodeled--it is a gut job. Aside from the obvious that it has no windows on the front of the house, please share ideas to make this more traditional or just appealing in general? I'm not a fan of the "sled" roofs--I prefer a more traditional roof line. The upstairs bedrooms have slanted ceilings so I want to change the roof line to remedy that as well. Homes in the area sell for $100/sq ft. that need to be remodeled. This one is currently priced at $117/sq ft. The other issue is there is a massive stone fireplace on the main level which goes through the middle of the second floor that would also need to be removed or somehow kept on the first floor but removed from the second floor bedroom. Location and lot are fabulous. I guess bottom line, better to bulldoze and start over or try to work with existing? If someone has a vision for how to remedy roof I would love to see a sketch--all I can think of is to have an extended covered entry but I can't envision a fix to the double sled with the middle at a different height. Did I mention limited budget? :)

Comments (11)

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

I would pass. This house has a very strong identity and it couldn't really be changed into anything else. And bulldozing it isn't a "limited budget" option. Leave it for someone who appreciates it for what it is. It's fine if you don't like modernism, a lot of people don't. But I'm sure it's not the only house or lot available where you live, and I don't think it's really the right thing to destroy a house just for the lot, in most cases.

• User
    10 years ago

That's like buying a Federalist manor and trying to turn it into I.M. Pei's glass pyramid at the Louvre. Sure, with enough money, you can do just about anything.That doesn't mean you should though. The money would go further and be better spent on another structure that is already closer to the desired end result. It's foolishly overspending for a result that could be gotten by cheaper means.

If you can't live in a modern style house, then don't buy a modern style house. It's the same if you couldn't live in a log house. Don't buy one.

• dreambuilder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Obviously if there were other homes better suited to my tastes I wouldn't even ask, I would buy the other home! Only house for sale in subdivision!

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

then do dropped ceilings for second floor.
    from inside the room it would be a regular
    sheetrock ceiling, straight across like the
    top of a box. roofline would stay the same
    you'd just furrdown another ceiling...and take
    away the nice look of the existing.

I'm not aware of any to keep fireplace on
    first floor, eliminate it on second floor and
    the fireplace work. somehow the heat/smoke
    has to rise through the house to exit at chimeny
    on roof.
    may be some way to keep the chimeny on second floor
    boxed in perhaps ...is there another fireplace
    on the second floor?

is the house already gutted ...or is that just the
    future for the house if you purchase it?

nice house, but it isn't a colonial nor will it
    ever be without a bucket load or three of money.

if you are going to purchase it...accept it for what it
    was built to be rather than butcher it into something
    it will never be. or pass.

if you do purchase it...live in it for a year before
    you start hacking it up. this will let you see how you
    live in the house.

best of luck.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

"Obviously if there were other homes better suited to my tastes I wouldn't even ask, I would buy the other home! Only house for sale in subdivision!"

"Did I mention limited budget?"

The answer is really, No, you can't make changes to this house to make it more traditional looking or appealing to your taste at a limited budget. The limited budget answers are 1) wait until something more to your liking comes up in the subdivision, 2) look in a different nearby subdivision.

If you had a high budget and could afford to either pay for the house, then tear it down and pay to build another, or you had several hundred thousand dollars in addition to the purchase price to substantially alter it, then sure, you could substantially alter it. (While you were living in another house because it would probably be uninhabitable during most of the renovation), then the answer is yes, you could do anything you want with enough money.

It rarely makes sense to tear down a house unless it is really unsuitable to the lot, or the neighborhood in terms of surrounding houses and values, or for some reason it is uninhabitable or condemned. This usually only makes sense in densely populated areas where land values are very high, or there is something extra special about the property, such as being oceanfront.

I live in an area where property values are very high. They recently tore down a commercial building and built 6 houses on the parcel. Each house is twice to 2.5 as large as the houses in the surrounding neighborhood. Each house is being sold for at least 4 times the typical selling price of the surrounding neighborhood. My neighborhood can support such variances in value, although Most people who already live here have said they would not spend nearly that much to live in this neighborhood.

Can you afford to spend $200K (a 1700 sq foot house at $117/ft.) and then spend another $250K (a ballpark estimate based upon a more typical larger house at the same price/ft), for a total of $450K? Could you Sell a $450K house in that subdivision? Is that a limited budget to you? That's a serious question, because to some people a limited budget is $1M.

If your limited budget is $100K in addition to the purchase price, I would say in no way could you change the character of the house And make other renovations like kitchens and baths.

• foodonastump
    10 years ago

I've seen modern toned down tastefully and effectively, at least in my opinion, but this looks like a tough patient. Is this typical construction in the development? If so, then remember that no matter what you do to your house, you'll be looking at your neighbors' similar houses every time you drive down the street and yours will look out of place. If this is unique to the neighborhood then I'd be concerned about resale - do you want the next potential buyer contemplating your home's value based on plans of bulldozing it, as you are?

• mjlb
    10 years ago

Seems very influenced by the post-modern Vanna Venturi House. I wouldn't try to make it something it is not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vanna Venturi House

• dreambuilder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much for posting the link of the Vanna Venturi House--I had been looking for the inspiration behind the design! This is the only house like this in the subdivision--all the others are traditional (and not for sale). It is on a huge lot in a very private cul-de-sac hence the appeal..location, location, location. The division can support up to $1 million I would say...most are buying and gutting the interiors of the 1970's homes found there. I love the lot but not the house so probably best to move on. Thanks for the feedback.

• crazybusytoo
    10 years ago

I learn so much from all the contributors here!

The Vanna Venturi link was so interesting. I wonder if Robert's mother was able to offer any input on her home?

I can't help but feel this home could have more curb appeal, without compromising the integrity of its design. Would this be appropriate for a "design around this" thread?

• dreambuilder
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Where is the design around this thread? I would love to post it there as I still think I could like the house if the curb appeal was better--for instance I would want windows. Can you give me a link to the thread you mention? Or share your ideas? Thank you!