Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robert11_gw

Benjamin Moore Kitchen & Bathroom Paint

robert11
17 years ago

Hi,

Surprised there isn't a Painting Forum".

I have a bathroom wall to paint.

Presently has old latex paint on it; peeling a bit from moisture (even with an exhaust fan).

Have heard about this Benjamin Moore K&B (Kitchen & Bathroom) Latex paint.

I guess I'm dating myself here, but I always thought that Latex paints were Always a poor choice for an area that sees "some" moisture. That the only way to go was to use an oil based paint.

Are these new Latex paints, like this one, really that much better, and suitable

for, e.g., a bathroom ?

Anyone have any experience with this specific Benjamin Moore Kitchen & Bathroom

Latex paint ?

Thanks,

Bob

Comments (4)

• aliska12000
    17 years ago

No, but I bought some exterior primer and paint with True Value brand name, carries a warranty for 25 years.

It doesn't have that old latex "feel", hope it doesn't end up peeling like the old latex paints did. I just love the look of the finish of this one (semi-gloss) I'm using now compared to the older ones I used to paint with.

I went back to oil based paints because they are tried and true but much harder to clean up your brushes so I relented and decided to try latex again because it's so much easier, therefore faster, and you don't have jars and cans of paint thinner sitting around.

Oops, probably nobody uses brushes any more. Well, I do except for walls where rollers are much better. Benjamin Moore should be a good brand.

I'd scrape really thoroughly and rough up the surface first with sandpaper or that liquid sandpaper. Then you need to clean it well so you get a good bond.

Incidentally, I painted my bathroom years ago with some latex paint I don't remember. I lightly sanded and cleaned the woodwork, but just washed the walls as they had textured surface. I am having problems with the old drywall in the ceiling cracking up, but the paint has held up very well, no peeling whatsoever, but then I seldom use the shower which generates the most moisture. That's what causes most bathroom problems.

I think *some* of the problems with the older latex paints is that people bought the cheapest ones and didn't prepare the surfaces properly beforehand, just started painting away.

• western_pa_luann
    17 years ago

PermaWhite is a great paint for a bathroom...

• alphapainting
    16 years ago

The main advantage of paints designed for bathrooms and kitchens, is scrubability and mildew / mold resistance.

In regards to pealing, it's all in the prep work, and here is where an oil primer is useful. Water based top coats however are more suited as top coats including products such as those designed for kitchens and baths.

Alpha Painting - Professional house painting contractors
    www.alphapainting.com

Here is a link that might be useful: www.alphapainting.com

• fandlil
    16 years ago

If moisture in the bathroom is a problem that suggests to me that the exhaust fan is inadequate, and you should consider upgrading it. Tell-tale sign: Does the mirror fog over when you shower?

If the fan was put in by the builder, you can bet money it was cheap junk, the kind that makes noise and doesn't move much air. Panasonic has a good website that helps you figure out the exhaust capacity you need for your bathroom -- the number of cfm (cubic feet per minute of air exhausted), which is determined by the size of the bathroom, length by width by height. After living for years with the junk the builder put in, we did the numbers and replaced the fans in our bethrooms. They are whisper quiet, and really keep the air fresh, and the mirrors never fog anymore.