Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbimc

re finish cabinets

debbimc
11 years ago

I am not sure to post this here or in the paint section. My kitchen cabinets are oak. we hvae been here for 11 years & I am tired f the finish. It is the reddish golden finish stain & I would like to update. I dont have lots iof money nor lots of manpower! I thought about an off white. any suggestions>

Comments (5)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I think you need to learn the correct way to refinish and paint. Some kitchen people can help you and you and go to the paint forum.
    Colors: There are many popular whites that many of us have used here and they come up over and over. Things too depend on how much natural light you get in your kitchen.
    To start: BM Cloud White, Dove White, Marshmellow, SW Dover White.

• snoonyb
    11 years ago

In all probability your present finish is oil based, so you might consider the variety of glaze's that are available from reputable paint stores, other than the bid box.
    A simplification of the process, to all surfaces, is a lite sanding, apply, wipe and finish.

• lazy_gardens
    11 years ago

If you want to go darker .. General Finish's "Gel Stain" in anything darker or browner than the oak would change the color easily.

You just have to clean the cabinets really well with mineral spirits and steel wool, then wipe on one or more coats of the gel stain. Finish with a coat or two of their gel top coat (wipe on) ... and you are done.

I did a tired, faded walnut kitchen in less than a week - could have done it faster but I didn't have a place to spread out the doors all at once.

• User
    11 years ago

How much experience painting do you have? Have you taken flea market finds and made them over? If not, start with a smaller project and get some experience under your belt.

• barbaranh
    11 years ago

When I tired of my wood cabinets, which had some kind of "antiquing" applied to them, I stripped them. It was a big job and took about 4 days, but it was worth it.

Before deciding to paint over the oak, you might try stripping a single door to see what the wood looks like in its natural state. It might be a light enough tone that you'll like it.

I used a gel stripping agent called Citristrip. You paint it on with a brush and let it stay for an hour or so while it lifts off the finish. Then you scrape it off with a paint scraper. I applied a lot of gel and gave it plenty of time and the finish just whisked right off with the scraper. Now of course that's not the beginning or the end of the job -- you have to clean them really well first. And after you scrape the stripper off, you have to wash them down again. Then you sand them lightly and wipe them down again. And finally you apply a sealer or clear coat, like varnish or shellac (I used varnish in a satin finish).

Like I said, it's a job. But my cabinets went from dark wood to light wood and I was glad I did it.