Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chrisam143_gw

Backsplash help needed!

chrisam143
11 years ago

This is my first post here, but I've been reading posts on here for the past month since we started remodeling our new home. I've found so much helpful information! Now I'm at the point where I could use some advice.

Below are pictures of our kitchen - all new cabnets and counters (Kashmir White). I'm now trying to decide on the backsplach - specifically the color. I'm in love with the 2x8 subway tiles and thinking of going with a gray color, but wondering it that will be too light. We did try out a brown/charc. color glass tile (just from Lowes) and it looks nice. There is a part of me that loves the grays but then another part of me wants to be bold and add some color. Perhaps something that pulls out the purple/wine color in the granite.

Our painter really wants to paint the kitchen/living room this week before the floors go in, but I can't decide on paint till i pick the backsplash!

I'd appreciate any advice anyone has on a good backsplash for our kitchen! Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Kitchen

Comments (9)

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

Your link isn't working. Do you have your photos in a photo site like Flickr or Photobucket?

• chrisam143
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oops, sorry about that. Does these show?

View walking in from hall:

View from otherside:

Upclose of the Kashmir white granite:

Island/bench seat looking into the family room:

• suzanne_sl
    11 years ago

I wouldn't do a brown tone because I'm afraid that with your floor a brown might make the room kinda gloomy. A gray glass would work, but if you'd like a little color, how about a blue-gray - maybe lighter than this?
    {{!gwi}}

A mixed stone and glass might work. These two bring in different colors:

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Here's one that brings in the brown, but the surrounding marble keeps it light. This also comes with a blue accent tile:

{{!gwi}}

Something that might be helpful is to go down to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy a good selection of what they have that looks even remotely possible and prop them on the counter. Your lighting in place makes a huge difference to how things look. What might look great in the store could well be just the opposite in your space and vice-versa. All the ones that are duds, just return them. Don't forget to keep track of the receipt!

• chrisam143
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you suzannesl for the ideas, I do like the idea of a blueish gray. I went to Ann Sacks today and fell in love with this blueish-purplish-gray. It would be this color tile, but in 2x8 subway tiles. What do you think?

Oh and our floors are not in yet, but they are a brownish/gray wood laminate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ann Sacks Heath Tile in Frost

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

The Ann Sacks tiles are lovely, I can see why you like the blue/grey hue. Does the kashmir white have an underlying blue/grey running thru it or is it more greenish?

I ask because I have river white granite (similar to kashmir) and depending on the lighting, it has either b/g or g/g hues running thru it.

• chrisam143
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Clarygrace - the counter does have more of a gray hue to it, which is why I picked it, I really wanted something with gray in it. With the tile it does pick up some blue and it has the purple wine spots as I like to call them.

What tile did you pick to go with your river white? Do you have photos?

• clarygrace
    11 years ago

Chrisam143, our river white is on the two islands and our perimeter has ocean black granite. We just had the backsplash installed (sorry no pics yet) and we chose a bevelled and crackled subway tile from Anchor Bay Tile - Cardiff. the first two pics are our granite and the third pic is a kitchen done with the Cardiff subway tile, to give you an idea. I will post more pics as soon as I can; our hardwood floor is being finished so need to stay out of the kitchen for another day or so...

• chrisam143
    Original Author
    11 years ago

clarygrace- you have a beautiful kitchen! I can't wait to see the photos with the backsplash! I like that tile idea.

• veevs
    11 years ago

hey chrisam- what did you decide on? i would looove to see pictures of your backsplash installed. i have bianco romano (very similar) it has a lot of blue gray running through it so i originally thought i'd do a blue gray glass subway tile but after seeing redrozes kitchen i became obsessed with ann sacks heath but i dont see it on the website anywhere! was it discontinued or something? anyways would looove to see what you picked out either way so pretty pleaaase post pics! tia!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm