Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yukogg

White Marble with Green Crystals-Is this too good to be true?

oneandonly
13 years ago

I have been agonizing over my counter top choice. Easy part was that I knew what I wanted: pure white (no speckles) that is not shiny. But what could it be made of? I've been back and forth between quartz and Corian. I almost went with quartz when a distributor said I could have it honed. Then I realized that I didn't really like the way it felt. It's too hard and cold. So, I finally decided to get a Corian in pure white, even though everyone, including myself, thought I'd regret it later (mainly because of scratches and stains on white). I was having a contractor figure out the estimate, but I was going to go ahead with it regardless as I needed to get something soon anyway.

Then, I saw "the one"!!

This afternoon, after I picked up a sample for my backplash, I went to a stone yard nearby. I just wanted to check out remnant granite for a bathroom counter. Since I'd never considered a natural stone kitchen counter top, that was my very first time ever in a stone yard.

There were many beautiful slabs of stones. I even recognized some from this forum-at least I think I did.

Then, I saw this beautiful white stone with greens in it. I couldn't believe how perfect it would be for my kitchen because my kitchen is to be pure white with green accent and dark wood here and there. When I asked about it, the sales person said it was actually marble and he wouldn't recommend it for in kitchen. BECAUSE...it would not be shiny and polished like the slab I was looking at. I couldn't believe it!! That's exactly what I want!! But I didn't want my hopes up since only thing I knew about marble was that it's expensive. Then he gave me the estimate. It was totally within my budget, including extras like edges and sink mount and drain grooves (I think you use term "runnel" for them?)

It's beautiful and perfect look for my kitchen.

So, right there and then, I put down half to make sure I get the slabs (there were only 3 slabs there and I would need 2 slabs).

But...it is so not me! I don't know anything about marble!!

I tend to mull over everything then some. I spend hours researching online before I make any purchases. I don't know how many GW posts I have read since I discovered you wonderful people. I agonized over sink, hood, garbage disposal, air switch, etc. I looked at hundreds of faucets, online and in person, before finally ordering them.

Oh, and the colors of the greens in the marble and the backsplash tiles are close match.

It took me weeks to locate backplash tiles. I knew exactly what I wanted (glass mosaic with rectangle tiles in various sizes and colors), but I couldn't find any in colors I wanted (green-how hard could it be? apparently very hard). I was this close to make my own (how? I don't know) before I finally find one.

Is this too good to be true?

It looks darker on monitor, but it's quite white in person. There are some very tiny shiny flecks, too. I don't know how to describe the greens, but they are all pretty. What do you think?

Comments (16)

• User
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think you found yourself a winner- I keep wishing that I will stumble on something that causes me to just go for it but I think even when I find a winner I still need to agonize over it. Nuff about me though- great news for you -you must feel so elated. Enjoy it!!!!

• amylucey
    13 years ago

It's so pretty! And always go with your gut. Trust it.

I too am agonizing over whether to put marble in our kitchen. Seem like everytime I mention to some one what I want to put on the counters: Honed Black granite and Carrara marble, people are quick to try and talk me out of it! It's frustrating.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Hoooooorrrrrraaaaayyyyyyyy
    You found it. The perfect rock for your beautiful kitchen.
    You must be dreaming of the possibilities.
    Enjoy your treasure.
    ~boxerpups

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

In Yiddish this is called b'sheret....meant to be! Mazel tov, it's lovely!

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

I think it's beautiful. BUT do your research and see if marble is what you really want. It develops a rich patina over time and I use the word patina to describe wear and tear. Marble has been used in kitchens for 100's of years, long before we had granite. It scratches easily (but conversely it's easy to buff them out) but it also stains EVEN with sealing. If you can live with that, I say trust your gut and go for it.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

It's lovely! Go for it! Now show us your backsplash...

• wallycat
    13 years ago

It looks gorgeous on my monitor!!
    How beautiful.
    And I just learned something...I thought all marble had greys in there, but clearly not. Your kitchen will be beautiful!

Isn't it nice to finally know you don't have to think about one aspect of this?!

• macybaby
    13 years ago

I so want that! I have already decided to put marble on my baking center island. The green would tie in perfect with the other colors in the house/kitchen. DH is partial to green and that seems to be the color that "flows" through the whole house. It does not dominate any room, but it's a recuring accent through out (the house is white with forest green trim and a light green roof).

I only need one slab - this yard doesn't happen to be somewhere in the upper midwest by chance?

Cathy

• shannonplus2
    13 years ago

Oh, sigh, that is beautiful. What is it called?

I remember vaguely someone posting here or the bathrooms forum that marble with green is more a "serpentine" stone. Forgive my ignorance, but I think that the serpentines are less prone to staining. Perhaps google it or maybe someone here will chime in. I remember someone had "ming green" marble and talked about how great it was.

Your kitchen with that marble will be to die for. Congratulations on your find!

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Hopefully some of the marble owners will post for you. The stone is beautiful. Ever been in a building with old marble floors or counters? The patina is beautiful.

• mindstorm
    13 years ago

It looks amazing.

BTW, it may not be you, but your experience is like almost half the GW-kitchens public here. I too said I didn't care for granite - definitely don't like the much vaunted "movement" etc. - but then I found THE ONE. Or "the few" really - of which a white statuary marble and my very black "blues-in-the-night" were two. ;-)

Hey, when you see it, you see it.

BTW, it is something of a fallacy that marbles stain upon sealing. Although it does depend on the stone so check. The harder marbles - which include most Carrara and statuary white marbles - can be sealed. I know this - my dining table is Carrara marble. Softer marbles, including many (not all!) limestones, are harder to seal because you can't get enough sealer in to saturate all their open pores. So, other stuff can soak in and leave a stain.

So, test the stone but it looks so perfect I hope you'll be able to use it. What a match made in heaven, huh?!

• oneandonly
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you every one for your encouragement, enthusiasm and assurance. I feel really lucky!! I really feel it was meant to be.

I'm not getting this because it's a marble, as I knew nothing about marble nor I cared to learn, although I'm getting educated quickly through GW. I'm getting this because it's just so beautiful and it will be a perfect honed white counter top with green accent, which is pretty much the vision of my dream kitchen.

I am even thinking of having a buffet built in the dining room just so that I can put the marble on top. Or have the breakfast bar made with the marble as well-but maybe not if staining is a big issue. 2 active kids (8 and 11), so I'll just keep wood as planned there.

loves2cook4six- Thank you for your concern. But I was already ready for scratches as I was going to get a Corian before I saw this anyway. I need to learn more about stains, but I feel ok with it.

wallycat- yes, indeed, especially since this was the only major decision I had to make at this point. All I have to do now is to wait for things to happen!! Well, I still have to decide how to do the backplash, which was to be my focal point, but now I'm not so sure.

macybaby- no, I'm sorry, but I'm on West Coast.

shannonplus2- at the stone yard, the sales person called it "white marble with green crystals" LOL. As for green being "serpentine", maybe so, but mine is basically a white marble with green spots, so I think it's different. But if this turns out to be less porous, that'll be icing on the cake!!

And here is the picture of my backsplash. Mine will have polised and matte tiles.
    {{gwi:1833246}}

• chris45ny
    13 years ago

The 2 look great together. Congratulations!!

• weissman
    13 years ago

One thing that no one has mentioned yet is that marble will etch and sealer cannot prevent that. The etching forms part of the patina that people have referred to. You need to educate yourself about etching and make sure you can live with it. Many people use marble in their kitchens and it is a great surface for rolling out dough - just make sure you're comfortable with the limitations.

• jcla
    13 years ago

Don't you just wanna do a happy dance when that happens? You'll smile every time you walk into your kitchen--and every time a guest gushes over your fab countertop. What a great find!

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I can't wait to see that beautiful, green-speckled marble with that backsplash!!!! It's gonna knock all of our socks off!!!! Beautiful combination! Great find!