Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fillagirl_gw

Exterior colour combinations - dark 'greige'??

fillagirl
14 years ago

Hello there, I am having my house re-painted ( we've been in in it for 3 yrs, but looks like it hasn't been done since the original paint job). Siding will be done in a solid stain and trim in a paint.

Exterior is gray brick, trim is a tan/beige and siding has faded to a light gray.

TRIM: We want to keep the same trim colour as the soffits & fascia are that colour (baked on) and don't want to paint them. Garage doors will be kept same colour as trim colour.

SIDING: Thinking that a dark "greige" would be the way to go for the siding, since the gray brick has tan and brown stones in it and the trim is in that family. We are considering Behr's solid stain "Boothill Gray - 366 or "Gray Seas - 300".

DOOR: Thinking then I could do a black front door. Would spraypaint my house numbers black to match.

Do you think that would look good? I'm worried Boothill Gray will be too brown with the gray....thanks in advance for your opinions!

Here is a link that might be useful: house exterior

Comments (5)

• dana1079
    14 years ago

dunno if it can be done in exterior, but I just painted my stairway walls, Glidden olivewood. It reads a beautiful grey/green/taupe.

So not as grey/brown.

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Also considering BM cc-572 (Barnboard) or CC-548 (Asphalt) for siding...but wondering if it is too dull with the cedar shakes?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    14 years ago

I hope you don't hate me for being honest. And I realize this doesn't answer, really, the color question(s) you've posed. Here goes anyway.

The biggest problem I'm seeing - from here - is that the trim color doesn't work with the gray/black brick. The harmony that should exist between the trim color and the permanent elements on the house isn't happening. Altho I understand the "baked on" point, it's not doing the house any favors so the question becomes just because it's "baked on" is it really an advantage.

Even tho the gutters and fascia are a baked on finish is not going to last forever. It's going to need maintenance and painting eventually. One way to look at the situation is, "Saving" it just because it's there and baked on at the cost of the overall cohesion and aesthetic of the curb appeal is kind of a high price to pay for what may actually just be an illusion of a maintenance free, forever finish.

A new trim color, stain color, and front door color could go a long way in making the most of the permanent elements you have to work with and the overall curb appeal of the house. JMHO.

• fillagirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi funcolors, I appreciate honesty always, thanks. What were you thinking regarding colors? I am open to ideas and and have never chosen paint colours for the exterior of a house. On another note, the brick does have flecks of tan and brown it it....that's why I was thinking the taupe trim might work.

• mboston_gw
    14 years ago

I was looking for a similar color to use inside. I came acorss Solitare by Valspar American Traditions 333-1 and bought a sample jar. Its that gray beige color. The one below it is called Greige. It is alot darker. You might also check out Connected Grey by Sherwin Williams. We used it on a modular home that had hardiboard siding. Looking at it, it was hard to tell if it was gray or brown or green at times. Paired it with Navaho White trim, black shutters. Got lots of compliments on the combination of colors.