Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summiebee

In tears...Paint runs everywhere, how can I fix it???

summiebee
15 years ago

posted in paint too, but need responses asap

I have this super, overprces Aura paint, I am attempting to trim in it looks horrid. I think I have too much paint on my brush I have runs everywhere. It looks AWFUL. How can I fix it? It's not 100% dry yet.

Comments (10)

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

UGH, summie, I'm so sorry to hear this. I have no tips but I'll be very curious to hear what folks post, because I have a front door to do in Aura pretty soon. The sample Aura I used on the house was fabulous to work with--maybe it is that you are putting too much on the brush? Can you wipe off what you've done somehow and start all over? It dries fast, as I recall...

• summiebee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It seems really thick and goopy and I think you have to be a very seasoned painter and work quickly IMO. I just scraped the drips off and I am going to allow it to dry, go get lunch and sand it eben though there is this warning about sanding and cancer on the side. Nice. I am usually a decent painter and just cut in my FR with no issues at all same brush etc, but SW duration paint. I am not blaming the paint maybe just my upset that my line was not coming over so clean and I think I had a bit too much paint on the brush. I also JUST founf out DH used my super favorite brush that I use to cut in last night to paint and trim in the ceiling and he abuses the brush. SO Ia m going to go get another and attempt to fix this.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Might the warning about cancer relate to sanding *preexisting* paint? As in it might contain lead?

A new brush will definitely help, and teach DH to stop abusing your brushes!

I know that --was it funcolors?-- said that you have to *not* touch Aura once you've applied it, that it's not a fussable paint. If that helps at all.

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I used Aura paint for a room in my house without any trouble. It wasn't trim -- just walls -- but I found it very easy to use, with great coverage.

• mclarke
    15 years ago

Sorry, I have no advice about the Aura paint, but I will say that I my brushes where my husband can't find them.

• Michael
    15 years ago

Along with the brush, purchase a quart of XIM Extender and use according to label. That will give you more open time.

Two thin coats works best. Apply with a Chinex brush, about 6" spread from dry to wet edge.

Michael

• summiebee
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I have calmed down andit is finished. I sraped and anding the wall and it looks decent in that area. It's high up, so not noticable, plus a drapery rod is right there too. FC is right, once it's up do not mess with it. It's a BEAUTIFUL color, I mean the color os SO pretty and it has a great depth and we love it. I just need to get better at this painting thing and better at trimmingin and the baseboards and just all of it in general.

• denali2007
    15 years ago

What color did you use. I love Aura colors.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Oh summiebee, I posted a response here but must have not hit submit. Too late now, but whenever I do vertical trim or doors, I have one of those little foam rollers. I brush first and then go over with the foam roller with just barely any paint on the foam roller. It just catches those little drips and evens out the paint. Maybe for the next project.

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

That's a great tip, budge...hope summie sees it in time to help her, but I've also filed it away for myself, so thanks for posting it :)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!