Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flgargoyle

Well, at least I still have a job

flgargoyle
13 years ago

I usually don't vent like this, but it's been a ROUGH week at work! They seem to be cleaning house, and I've been scared silly that I would get the axe. The week ended with my annual performance review, which was very positive, and I got a decent raise. Yay! The only down-side is that I've been switched to salary, and I was told that it was 'expected' that I put in more hours. I have a secret weapon, though- in about 6 months, I'm going to give my notice, and head to SC to start building a house. Until then, I can handle it.

I had already made up my mind that if I did get sacked, I'd simply move the schedule up, and head to SC right away. So if they do decide to get rid of me in the interim, I'm mentally and (almost) financially prepared for it.

I hope the rest of you had a better week than I did! We've got a fun weekend planned, so I'm gonna unwind a little.

Jay

Comments (11)

• User
    13 years ago

Jay, life does throw curve balls at us. It is good that you were almost intuitive in your advance planning. Think how fortunate that you are much closer to being ready for such an eventuality, much closer than another person might be.

And there are so many folks who are stretched to the max with large mortgages, large debt, and what if their jobs had such a wrench thrown into the mix? Houses do not sell as quickly nor for as much money as they once did. Credit card debt is probably maxxed out for some families still chasing their upwardly mobile dreams.

Yes, you are fortunate. You've been planning on banking the fires and cutting back on expenses, and saving the cash as much as possible. You are the thrifty ant working hard, and not the frivolous grasshopper playing all summer long, and relying on the ant to save him when winter comes.

Vent away. It was bound to happen that someone among us should be affected by the economic disaster surrounding us. It could be worse. Count your blessings this week, and come back strong next Monday. Remember: Living well is the best revenge. This change of circumstances could become a blessing in disguise, as it increases your determination to reach your goal in SC.

• idie2live
    13 years ago

Oh Jay, I know how you feel. I worked in a factory for 36 years. At one point in the 70s we had almost 1500 people working making CB radios. When that market was killed by the cell phone people were laid off left and right. Fortunately, the company was able to place a new division in the plant and about 300 people transferred over (me included).
    Things have been up and down, so when they offered an early out last year, I took it. But like you I was already planning to retire in a year.
    So I understand. Even though you plan to retire, its no fun having your back against the wall if you need to change your mind.
    Just think, in a few months you can tell them what they can do with their job (politely, of course).

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

I'm glad you still have your job Jay. That gives you a little more time to beef up your savings and get ready for the move, sell your house, etc.

Going to salary could be a good thing if they pay overtime for those extra hours they expect from you.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Congrats on the raise, Jay! That should help buy a few 2x4s, when the time comes.

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No - no overtime pay. We used to work overtime regularly, but it pretty much disappeared a few years ago. If we were working OT, I'd lose money by this change, but since we're not, it's no biggie. As you said, it will buy a few more 2X4's! We're still too young (and poor) to retire after we move to SC. We won't have a mortgage, and all of our other expenses (insurance, taxes, utilities) will be drastically lower, so we can either work easier jobs that pay less, or find equivalent jobs, and bank more.

I'm not cut out to be a manger, and I hate it. I only took the position for the money, and with the thought in my mind that it would only be for a few years. Well- the time is almost up! My trade requires physical strength and excellent eyesight, both of which don't last forever, so a change might be in order anyhow. There is a technical college up there; teaching would be an great way to finish out my career. We'll see....

• User
    13 years ago

Jay, the saying is, when one door closes, another one opens.
    For sure, I would play my cards close to the chest. Do not let anyone, even your coworkers, know that you plan to leave in a short time. As long as you have a good hand, don't let anyone else know how you will play those cards. Information is power, after all.

Hmmmm, my oven just beeped at me. The jalapeno cornbread is ready, and I'm going to have it with a big glass of buttermilk. Good night all.

• User
    13 years ago

Jay, how is it going with your new circumstances?
    Are you firming up any more plans, moving back the time frame of the NC house?

Have not heard much from your corner, you might be super busy at work. Best of luck.

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Work is fine, I guess. My boss is making a point of seeing how late I work every night- grrr. I think I can hang in there until it's time to head to SC. We get a profit-sharing bonus in February, so as soon as that check clears the bank, I'll give my 2 weeks notice. Last year's bonus was about 10% of my annual salary, so it's worth sticking around for.

There's always been a weird dynamic in this position. I hate being a manager, and only took the position 3 years ago since I knew it wouldn't be forever. My boss ran a similar business before coming to our company. One of my crew was a manager under him at the last place. I know both parties feel that my worker should have my job, but of course, there's not much they can do about it. Luckily, I get along very well with the owner, and he makes all of the really big decisions. He once told me that I would always have my job until I was ready to retire.

Right now, we bank my entire paycheck towards the SC build, so the money is piling up fast. As I said, we're in a position to start now if it came to that, but it will be easier the more money we have laid by.

In the meantime, they hired a personal trainer for the management team, so I get 3 one-hour sessions a week- just the thing to get in shape to tackle that build! I have a lot of loose ends to tie up here in FL, so putting a date on it is a great motivator. Gotta get crackin'!

• User
    13 years ago

Jay, that personal training is a great thing to keep your spirits up too. They say it helps a lot anyway. Wouldn't know personally. :)

None of the mgt team ever comes to GWeb, do they? Don't want a slippance before the bonus clears the bank.

Yes, a date sure does change things. It is no longer "one of these days," is it.

I never had that problem or chance myself. I knew the company was downsizing and my job would be eliminated, just did not know when. I knew what would happen and I outwaited them. Early on, when I was thinking what would I do if I got RIFfed, they'd sent me to a 2 week long class about decision analysis, problem analysis, and potential problem analysis. They taught me everything I'd need to know to make my career change as painless as possible. It was related to my job there, but I used the techniques they taught me and applied them to my personal issues. That's how I stopped being a librarian and became a boat captain. A hell of a midlife crisis, believe me. When the time came, they gave me a year's pay as severance. It financed my first year working as a deckhand and boat engineer until I got my first captain's license.

• columbiasc
    13 years ago

Jay, I know exactly how you feel. I'm a mortgage banker working for a small bank. Yesterday, the news was existing home sales down 27%, today, the indicator was new home sales which dropped about 14%. A few weeks back, I think it was the Fair Issac corporation, the credit score people, put out a press release stating that 25% of the population now has a credit score of 599 or less. Our absolute minimum allowable score is 620, so 25% of the poplulation is an automatic NO. It's tough to build a profitable model around numbers like those. I worry about my job every single day.

Unfortunately, my timeline is currently measured in years, not months. Six more years of mandated child support, then it will just shift from going to their mom to going directly to them as I'm sure they will be struggling to find jobs in our wonderful economy. After the child support drops, then I have to play catch-up and get a house paid in full. Divorce was a huge setback and it's a constant struggle. If I loose my job, I'm doomed. Middle-aged guy out on the street competing with young, good looking, energetic graduates and hundreds of thousands of other displaced bankers. Not good.

But, you deal with it. You get up every morning and you pull up those socks and tie that necktie and head out the door and just do the best danged job you can.

You sound like you have a solid plan. And you sound like a can-do person. You'll make it! And when you get up here, maybe we can run into each other.

Best wishes friend.

Scott

• flgargoyle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for letting me vent. There aren't very many people I can talk about this with, since many of my daily contacts are work-related.

Scott- I think you are quite a bit younger than me (I'm 57), but as you get older, the time compresses- it's frightening! Time flies faster and faster, and you start thinking about the End Game. I know that physically, I need to get moving while I'm still fit and able. I hope by the time I'm 60, this will all be a fuzzy memory while I sit on my porch in the woods and breath the fresh air. And once I set up a blog, y'all can come along for the ride! I drive through Columbia a couple times a year, and will probably come by a lot more once I get started on the house. We'll get together for sure!

Jay

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert