Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

Linen Bedding-- maintenance nightmare?

funkyart
15 years ago

I am considering linen bedding -- I know there are many linen lovers here. How hard are they to maintain? I DEFINITELY don't see myself ironing the bedding.. I have some washable linen pants that have a great texture/appearance when I take them right out of the dryer. What I won't like is if after a night or two of sleep, they look like my linen pants look after I've been sitting and driving in them for two hours.

Comments (11)

• allison0704
    15 years ago

I have Bella Notte linen shams, duvet cover and bedskirt on a guest bed. I slightly steamed when I first got them but do not iron. DD1 has a few linen bedding items and she washes/remakes bed. I don't recall them looking like a pair of pants after driving a few hours.

• gwendolynne
    15 years ago

I second Allison - I have a Bella Notte duvet cover and shams on the bed in our master bedroom and I don't think I would ever consider ironing the duvet cover. I do often iron the shams to get the corners crisp, but that's just a matter of preference, if I didn't iron them, they would still look fine.

Hubby and I love the linen - it is so soft and easy to maintain. When I feel like splurging again, I will buy linen sheets to use in the summer. The Bella Notte bedding is excellent quality, which also makes a huge difference to the amount that it wrinkles (i.e. not much, and even less as it ages).

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Hey, Funk, I was looking at the Bella Notte website because I was unfamiliar with the brand. I ran across this pic and had to laugh! This is similar to your "green" bed frame, and they used the simple pink floral on white bedding like I was trying to describe to you! However, they also painted the walls pink--- probably too much pink for you, I'm sure. Anyway, just thought it was interesting. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: French Country

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

wow-- Tex, too funny! That is pretty similar. I love that room- but I'd do it in a spare room. I actually did my spare room sort of shabby chic .. until my 5 yo nephew told me he "was NOT laying in flowers". Now it is beachy stripes. ;)

Thanks everyone... that's the info/reassurrance I needed! I was looking at Libeco Belgian linen.. and Bella Notte. Is Bella Notte the best?

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

funkyart: Cuddledown is having a sale on their linen bedding at the moment. It looks luscious! If you're not familiar with this company, their products are very, very good quality.

• organic_smallhome
    15 years ago

Oops: forgot the link. :)

They have plain and hemstitch.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cuddledown Italian Linen

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I have linen sheets; the fitted sheet is fine because it's held taut, but the flat sheet does get very wrinkled after one night use, no one sees it though once it's tucked in and the bed is made. Edges of pillow case get very wrinkled also, no doubt about it. The more you wash them the softer they get.

so yes, they wrinkle, just like any linen item that gets handled or worn.

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OSH - I LOVE cuddledown and those sheets are luscious! I love the colors-- especially the buttercup! I'd love to do flax and white too but I think my room needs more spark.

Mitch - that was my fear... especially with dogs who lay on top when I shower or work upstairs and when we sleep. Do you have a linen duvet too?

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

no, no linen duvet although I rented a house in florida that had a linen coverlet/bedspread, it would wrinkle at the top but the deco pillows hid it;
    in your case, if you have dogs that would lie on it, I would certainly avoid it.

imo, an allover print cotton duvet cover hides wrikles, solid color cotton or linen don't, but linen is less forgiving than cotton.

I wear linen a lot in hot weather, I love the feel and slightly rumpled look but I know some people hate it. My dry cleaning bill is high in the summer because of that, lol.

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

I had a linen boxed bedskirt made. But of course you don't sleep on that. lol

• funkyart
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mitch, I love linen too-- I stopped buying the tailored linen though because it just didn't look nice in a business setting when I am traveling and sitting lots. I live in the loose fitting cool and breezy linen now-- and I especially like the washable linen! I haven't bought any of thier new line-- but I have some jjill linen pants from a few years ago that I just LOVE and it is washable!

Jane, I bet your skirt is lovely-- boxed pleats are timeless.

I think I have talked myself out of linen sheets for now though--with two big dogs I think it will messy way too quickly. :( At least one of my dogs will not make it another summer so I will keep it in mind for next summer. I know that sounds morbid but after struggling with and grieving for Grace's cancer for over a year, it kind of helps to have things to have little things to look forward to.