Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sjhockeyfan325

Got our first bid for installing Fireclay tile backsplash, and...

sjhockeyfan325
9 years ago

It's much higher than we expected. It's only 20 square feet of 2 x 4 tiles, probably laid in a 1/3 brick pattern (I'd prefer straight, but DH doesn't, and I don't feel strongly about this). I know the tile is handmade, and therefore more difficult to do, but how much would you expect this to cost, even in the pricey Bay Area? There are no turns, very few cuts, just across the back wall (18" under cabinets, except under the hood where it's 27").

Comments (63)

• mrsmortarmixer
    9 years ago

jellytoast- I don't get it either. If someone ever grossly overbid a job for me, I guarantee they wouldn't get a callback, and I'd let everyone know about it that I could. I'm all for paying more for quality work, but with that cost, I demand professionalism.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Thanks for posting. We're in so cal, and not in LA, so I'm thinking it'll be a bit lower, but not a ton. We just (we think) landed on a color for our Heath backsplash. We thought we were going to go with an in-stock color, but once we changed granite, we needed to re-think. I haven't even begun to think about tile install and/or cost.

Scratch that. I DID think about it. I thought, since we have to order a few square feet extra (we only need about 17 sq feet, but the minimum is 25 and it's cheaper to order 25 than to order the tile at the trim price) I thought I might try to DIY and then if that's a disaster, have someone come do it. This makes me think a bit more seriously about that.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My DH has done tile before, but only tile with really uniform edges, which this definitely won't have. We only got bids from people we know have worked with Fireclay before. I'm sure we could get it done more cheaply, but we'd be taking a chance with the quality of the install, which in this case (kitchen completely open as part of kitchen/living room/dining room), it's not worth it to me. I'll wait for the second bid, and maybe get a third, and then pick one.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan, if you don't mind my asking, what is so different about Fireclay tile that someone who hadn't installed it before would have issues with it? It doesn't appear to look any different from many other tiles.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just that it's hand-made and the edges are what I'd call "rustic". Maybe it's not a big deal at all - I wish someone knowledgeable would tell me!

I would hire the guy who did my bathroom (much straighter edges on the tile but he did a truly great job - not so much on the other bathroom though), but he's the type who shows up one day and then disappears for 10. I want this job done 1-2-3.

• jellytoast
    9 years ago

Any experienced tile setter who has been in business for a while has had experience installing handmade or rustic tiles. If he can correctly layout and line up "regular" tiles, he can do the same with the handmade types. If your former tile setter is inconsistent (good on one job, not on another, doesn't show up for days at a time) he is likely (very likely) not your best choice. Handmade tiles are more difficult to set due to the varying thicknesses and inconsistent sizes.

This post was edited by jellytoast on Sun, May 25, 14 at 12:11

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

I'm in the SC Lowcountry and just got a bid for $10/sf for Winchester subways. This installer works for the tile store and I have seen his work before on neighbor's homes and was impressed with the quality.

A few years ago I used an installer who was actually too meticulous, it took him more than a month to do a 5' x 8' guest bath with 12" x 12" tiles. It made no sense since he contracted for a very reasonable set price, he was not working by the hour. He measured and measured and then measured again. It is possible to be too careful! We finally fired him and I finished the job myself.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

One possibility for lowering the cost of work is to ask the contractor if they can group your job with one or more in your area, or as a "fill in" if they finish unexpectedly early on a big job. It takes more time for you to see completion, because your schedule is combined with the others, but it does cut down on the travel time and cost and that might be passed on to the customer.

If I am willing to have my project be a "filler" job, I make sure to let the contractor know ... it has saved me a small pile of money over the years.

Now, with a house a 3-hour round trip for most contractors ... I'm learning to wait even more. My insulation was ganged with two other jobs, making the trip worthwhile for the company and knocking several hundred in travel charges off for the customers, the crew who did my fences would have otherwise been idle and waiting for something to get done a few blocks away on a new build, and the tree trimmer bluntly said that my job was too small to warrant a special trip (3 hours travel for a 1-hour job makes no sense, and the surcharge would have been huge) and he'll get back to me with a time when he lines up a few more jobs in the area that need the same equipment.

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

not to hijack your thread hockeyfan,
    but...
    SCPalmetto, we just installed Winchester Sudbury Gloss in our MB shower. Where are you in the low country?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tile guy is coming tomorrow to set up his equipment for installation on Thursday. We did not hire the really expensive guy, but went with a more reasonable bid from a man with very good reviews. Wish me luck!

• Mags438
    9 years ago

You move quickly sjhockey! Decisive. Something I lack :-(. Good for you!

• brightm
    9 years ago

Can't wait to see your backsplash!

We ended up getting a bid from our granite guy for $28 a sq ft. I think I want to be ABB for a while before we decide exactly what we want and how we want it layed.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

SJhockey
    Good luck tomorrow!
    Can't wait to see your pictures.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Yay! Another GW-er, excitedly waiting. Please post progress pictures:)

• laurencp
    9 years ago

I'm anxiously awaiting a photo of your backsplash - the Fireclay tiles are beautiful. Good luck with the install - I'm still waiting for my tile!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You move quickly sjhockey! Decisive. Something I lack :-(. Good for you!

You give us way too much credit! We started our remodel in September. The backsplash is going in tomorrow. We still don't have the fire department sign-off on the sprinklers. Other than that, mostly after-the-fact stuff, that we've hired a handyman to do (installing towel rods and robe hooks, adjusting some doors, installing shelves, that kind of thing --- the kind of thing my DH is perfectly capable of doing, but I don't want to wait five years :-) ).

• crl_
    9 years ago

I am eager to see your results. Fireclay tile is a contender for our backsplash. :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Happy to say the tiler and crew showed up as promised. (Why does that always surprise me these days?)

• feisty68
    9 years ago

fingers crossed for you sjhockeyfan. I adore the fireclay tiles and cannot wait to see yours.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Check out this contraption they put up in my dining room (we live in an urban condo - no place else to set up their equipment but in the apartment). Very professional so far.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

The suspense is killing me :)

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's not done! The tile is about 7/8 up and it looks like a beautiful job. Hopefully, it will get done and grouted tomorrow (in which case I'll post a picture over the weekend).

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

Oh come on, progress pictures!!!

• laurencp
    9 years ago

Excited to see your backsplash! Looks like you have had great luck with your tile fellow! It will be in in time for you to enjoy all weekend!

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, this guy is great - so professional in his responsiveness, attention to detail, tile skills, and neatness! He did a stellar job, and the bid was just over half of what the first guy bid. Here's one picture and I'll post a second in the next post.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close-up

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Sjhockeyfan, it looks fantastic! What beautiful tiles. You really nailed a backsplash that works with the other elements in your kitchen. It's really an example of the benefit of having a "wow" vertical element (as opposed to patterned counters). Very stylish kitchen :)

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Congratulations! It looks fantastic.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Oh wow, SJ, you nailed it!!! What an amazing backsplash. I have just spent the past 4 days with Miguel the tilesetter in my bathroom and I do have a new-found appreciation of attention to detail, pride in a job well done, and an overall great work ethic. I'm so happy you got the beautiful backsplash you deserve.

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

It looks terrific!!! Thanks for posting, I am looking forward to your reveal very much so I can see more....

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

SJ
    Absolutely beautiful!
    Love the detail of the outlet placement.
    Congratulations!
    Welcome to the ABB alumni club.
    A2gemini

• rubyclaire
    9 years ago

Your tile is gorgeous and looks perfect for your other elements!
    And your installer did a super job. Congratulations!

• sas95
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful. He did a great job, and I love the combination of materials you used.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Great tile job, you must be thrilled! Love the tiles.

we've hired a handyman to do (installing towel rods and robe hooks, adjusting some doors, installing shelves, that kind of thing --- the kind of thing my DH is perfectly capable of doing, but I don't want to wait five years :-) ).

- lol, we're 7 yrs and counting for bath pulls/handles.

• mgmum
    9 years ago

It looks awesome! Can't wait to see the full reveal!

• brightm
    9 years ago

Great job. Adds that nice touch of bling, but in line with the other elements. Worth the wait.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Nice!

And they sure don't look all that irregular--which is good since I'm very seriously considering doing my COUNTER with Fireclay's tile.

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Mags, we went 26 years without door knobs on the door to our laundry in our previous home. When we pulled away for the last time, I said to my DH, "y'know, the fact that we didn't have door knobs for 26 years should tell you something about us and home ownership :-)"!

Gemini, I'd like to say the outlet placement was purposeful, but it wasn't - the outlets have been in since early January, but we didn't select the tile until late April, and the tile layout last week. We are changing out the outlets and plate covers to stainless and dark grey, which we have on the island side, and look great with the tile.

Thanks everyone. We're very happy with how it turned out.

• a2gemini
    9 years ago

Sj - LOL - still looks great even if accidental!

• mdln
    9 years ago

Looks great!

• crl_
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Thank you for sharing the pictures!

• romy718
    9 years ago

Gorgeous! I love the pattern & the tile is sooo pretty. Which Fireclay tile is it?

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Romy, it's UltraCream with Black Patine crackle. The grout is Hydroment cashmere. The grout lines are 3/16".

• sjhockeyfan325
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BTW, we bought exactly 10% of the amount we needed! as recommended (and this is a simple project). The tiler was worried, but what do you know, we have exactly 10% left over!

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Nice finished project!

In terms of pricing, here's my .02/worth.

First of all, location, like housing prices, is everything. I fight continuously with inexperienced hacks that don't pay the attention to detail that I like to....but having done this for almost 40 years, and getting my work pretty much solely on referrals, I charge more. When you pay insurance, travel costs, training costs, quality tools, quality helpers....a couple of hundred dollars a day doesn't cut it.

I'm here in SE Texas, and it simply doesn't pay to start the truck if you can't charge at least $400 a day....so an $800 backsplash isn't out of line. I'll charge a minimum of $1200 to drive to Houston for the same work (Or more).

I find that a knowledgeable client gets nervous if he feels the work is "Too Cheap." (with good reason)

If you need a car mechanic or a surgeon, is the determining factor, "How Cheap Can I Get It Done?" Not in my world....

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

Just got done with our backsplash - SUPER complex Herringbone pattern requiring a lot more measuring, cutting, planning. Marble tile. 50 sq ft. Paid $600 (not including the tile) - The guy brought his own tools, and set up his own thin set, grout, etc.,

Attaching a picture

• sonny_h
    9 years ago

Here's a closer picture.

• StoneTech
    9 years ago

Nice work, Sonny. You got a deal...depending on your location.

• kindertina
    3 years ago

@sjhockeyfan325 I know this is 5 years after the fact, but it's worth a shot. I am in San Jose too. Can you pass along the contact information of your tile setter? Are you still happy with the Fireclay Tiles all these years later?

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm