Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
illinigirl_gw

Does anyone have their cabinets painted Dorian Gray?

illinigirl
9 years ago

I'm trying to choose a cabinet color for bathroom vanity and can't decide if Dorian Gray is dark enough for what I'm after.

thanks!

Comments (23)

• Bunny
    9 years ago

Get it!!! They will never grow old or look dated.

I'm kidding. I have no idea what it looks like or whether it will work for you.

This post was edited by linelle on Mon, May 5, 14 at 15:37

• annettacm
    9 years ago

What are you after? What's the look YOU want? And I have no idea what color Dorian Gray is. But I love gray, so I'm sure I would love it. Factor in your counter, wall color, amount of light in the room, etc, and that may help you decide. Any color is right if the tile/floor/counter make it work.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

linelle said: "Get it!!! They will never grow old or look dated.
    I'm kidding. I have no idea what it looks like or whether it will work for you."

I LOL-ed so hard the first time I read that! One of the more brilliant things I have read on the 'net in a long time. Thanks for that.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks,
    I was having a hard time finding cabinets painted that color on google, so was hoping I could get some feedback or pics from GWers. It's hard to tell what a swatch of paint will look like on an entire cabinet.

• gr8daygw
    9 years ago

One of my favorite movies : ))) And now a paint color!

It is a Sherwin Williams color. It seems to have a strong undercurrent of red. I tried it in a room scene, not sure what else you have in the room or what kind of colors are with it, but that could make a difference. I prefer the grays that have a little bit of a green or blue undercurrent. I think they are easier to work with. There are some really pretty grays in the Sherwin Williams line. It can be so confusing. Good luck!

This post was edited by gr8day on Tue, May 6, 14 at 8:28

• fishymom
    9 years ago

My son painted a bathroom Dorian Gray but ended up painting over it in a lighter, silvery gray. I texted him to see if he has any pictures, but I don't think we took any before the repaint. It was a pretty color, just wasn't what he had in mind for a basement bathroom with no windows. I can't remember what the new color is, something light silver light by Valspar. I do remember the Dorian Gray looking browner as we painted the new color.

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks fishymom and gr8day. I am looking for a gray with brown undertone. My tile blends gray and beige, and the counters are a quartz with beige and brown/grey bits
    [img]

[/img]

walls will be revere pewter

• fishymom
    9 years ago

That quartz is really pretty, I think Dorian Gray will look great with it!

• Bunny
    9 years ago

After I posted the first line, I thought I might just come across as one of the people who do random drive-by posts. I wasn't sure if illinigirl was familiar with the book/movie, and didn't want her to think I was just being a jerk.

It was one of my favorite movies as a kid. Such a great metaphor.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

If it were mine, I'd go deeper on that color strip to Gauntlet Gray or Black Fox. The darker color seems like a better contrast to the granite and that more contrast will be better since the granite has more beige.

• sas95
    9 years ago

I would get it just so I could tell people I used that color.

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Yeah, as for the color name, I'd rather use Dorian Gray.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

linelle said: "Get it!!! They will never grow old or look dated.
    I'm kidding. I have no idea what it looks like or whether it will work for you."
    I LOL-ed so hard the first time I read that! One of the more brilliant things I have read on the 'net in a long time. Thanks for that.

It made me laugh too. Actually, I HATED Dorian Gray, but it's funny here.

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

Those counters will look wicked with the right gray! Have you chosen one, yet?

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I considered the contrast level of Dorian Grey with the tile and countertops. In bright light when the materials are all on the same plane I was initially worried the DG would not provide the contrast I desired. However when I factored in the lighting (vanity lighting is the only light source in the room except the shower light- there are no windows in this bathroom) and then I also changed the plane of the paint chip to vertical....then I felt there was indeed enough contrast to the floor tile and the counter. The DG darkened up quite a bit on the vertical with vanity backlight.

Here is a link that might be useful: here is the tile that ties it together

• illinigirl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

check that, I did decide to go with Dovetail after more thought and going to the house to the actual lighting. i feel good about my choice. thanks for all the input!

• PRO
    Business_Name_Placeholder
    5 years ago

I came across this thread while trying to decide between dorian grey and dovetail. pretty sure our countertop is the same also. weird. lol. do you have a picture? that might be very helpful to me.

• brasusa
    4 years ago

• brasusa
    4 years ago

My coffee bar cabinets and island cabinets are Dorian Grey. I love them. Our main cabinets are Dover white with grey glaze.

• brasusa
    4 years ago

The island cabinets are Dorian Grey and main kitchen are Dover White with heavy grey glaze .

• tonidickerson
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@brasusa Are the countertops and backsplash the same? What is the name of them? They are beautiful! Thank you

• Pooja Arohi
    last year

Dorian gray cabinets with calcatta classsic quartz

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!