Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrao77

Farm-house sink Vs double bowl sink

mrao77
14 years ago

Hi,

I am in the process of choosing a kitchen sink for a remodel and am stumped between this choice- single bowl, two drains vs larger, more useful single bowl sink, but just one drain?

I have been told that the one bowl sinks can lead to trouble with the erators jamming and such since all the waste and water has only one drain to go down into. I am in favor of a single bowl since most of my large pots with handles really dont fit well inside a doubel bowl and end up being on the counter to soak..ugg!

So please tell me your pros and cons.

Thanks,

mrao77

Comments (11)

• kelleg69
    14 years ago

I don't know anything about the issue of just having one drain. I think this is just a personal preference thing. If you think you just want one bowl, go for it. The farmhouse look definitely makes a statement. If you like that look and want that statement, go for it!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

What size sink base are you considering? We have a 2-bowl sink with one size larger than the other. The large bowl is 21-3/8" wide x 18-3/4" x 9". The small bowl is 10-1/2" x 15-7/8" x 7". It fits in a 36" sink base. But, it's stainless steel.

I have never heard of a "single drain" issue...with 2 bowls it all very quickly merges into one drain so I don't know why one bowl/drain would be more of a problem than two bowls/drains.

What's an "erator"?

I've also never heard of a 2-bowl sink with a drain on one side only. How does that work?????

• mrao77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for responding! By erator, I mean food disposer. What I am looking at is a 32"X21" (outer dimensions) stainless steel, single bowl sink. I like the larger bowl simply coz it is easlier to put in all my pots and pans whith the longer handles INSIDE the sink instead of on the counter. What I have ow is the chef style, one large, deep bowl and other smaller,shallow bowl with drains in both. The shallow bowl has the food disposer connected. I am not sure about the plumbing issues that I may have if I change to a single drain sink. That is my question for this post. Keep those opinions comming!
    Thanks again.

• starlightfarm
    14 years ago

I have a single bowl farm sink.... and absolutely love it. It's large enough to wash anything without making a mess. I don't have a food disposal, so I can't comment on that issue, but we don't have any drainage issues with just the one drain.

I have had a regular two bowl sink, but I will never go back after my single bowl sink. Love it, love it, love it.

• eandhl
    14 years ago

Well I have now had 3 different size sinks. A double equal size, terrible. A double with a larger and the smaller approx the size the a double equal. I loved this sink. Presently a large soapstone single. While I can put big things in it I have less really big things like a cookie sheet that didn't fit in last sink I loved. I do a lot of fresh veggies and fruits. I miss having a clean sink always for these things but this kit was small and it didn't make sense to take up so much space so I just have to clean the sink a few times a day.

• User
    14 years ago

I'll never have (at least on purpose) a double bowl sink again. I have a 36" single bowl sink and I love it. I could never have gotten my lobster/canning pots in yesterday to fill and wash them in a double bowl sink, same for my big pans and odd shaped things that don't fit in the DW. I keep a dishpan in the sink to corral the dishes waiting to be loaded into the DW, and that keeps the other side of the sink available for all the other things I need a sink for.

• hk_san_diego
    14 years ago

I don't have a food disposal, so I can't comment on that issue, but we don't have any drainage issues with just the one drain.

I think from the pure nuts & bolts for two bowls. You want the disposal in the big sink as it has more water flow for cleaning of the drain ( head pressure ) water standing above the drain . The disposal is normally the straight down drain ,with the other bowl drain pipe coming from the side .

• karena_2009
    14 years ago

Right now, the trend seems to be in favor of one large bowl without the divider. I debated this issue as well and considered finding the biggest sink I could find that would fit in a 36-inch sink base.

I looked at Ticor sinks at Galaxy Tools, many members seem to be very happy with the quality and price, some with a 60/40 combination. It's really boils down to personal preference. In the end, I decided to go with a 33 inch SS farmhouse sink that I bought from overstock.com. I can hardly wait to get it installed because it's 10 inches deep. If you are a cook, it allows you to clean larger pots pans, and cookie sheets easily.

HTH,

Karen

• 1RmSchlHse_gmail_com
    14 years ago

Believe me, there are NO plumbing issues involved. What MAY be an issue is finding a hardware store--or other source--for the parts you need to do a changeover.

The best thing you can do for yourself is get down and climb under your present sink, the neighbor's sink, your family member's sinks, and familiarize yourself with the plumbing that's under there !! While you're down there, check for leaks, and use a ruler/tape measure to get an idea of sizes.
    Bathroom sinks are usually 1 1/4" diameter thinwall pipe;
    the tub/shower and the kitchen sink are, or should be,
    1 1/2".
    One thing to remember: the 1 1/2" thinwall pipe hooked directly to the bottom of your sink, and tied into the "S" or "P" traps under there, is NOT NOT NOT the same as the
    1 1/2" drain piping; HOWEVER--there are adapters to mate the thinwall to the heavier piping.

By the way, you ARE gonna go to the store and find out what a "P" or "S" trap is, aincha??

Dont be afraid to ask Q's, and do realize many of the guys you ask are about as ignorant as you are when it comes to plumbing....many--not all of 'em.

THEN: when you find somebody who sounds like (s)he can help you do this project, and they put down on paper the parts you need, the best thing you can do is repeat the process--go find somebody else at another store who can do likewise, and then compare the parts recommended, &c.

Maybe this soundz like plumbing 101--you're right, it is.
    Anything else spellz disaster in the making, not to mention the resultant feeling you bin ripped off and jerked around, and that you coulda done a better job yourself....
    if only....
    you'd taken to heart the suggestion of:

kenn
    1RmSchlHse
    millersport oHIo

--
    there's a time and place for spontaneity....

• elizabeth7699
    6 years ago

Oh my gosh!!! Never get the double!! Nothing fits! You always have to stick your hand in the tiny disposer to fish food out etc! It is only sensible aesthetically. Not practical for a real cook!