Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

Share your Temperpedic experience

Aims
9 years ago

Hubby and I are looking into finally getting a king bed once our new house is built. We are looking at Temperpedic bc his parents have one and they let us sleep in it for a few nights during the winter when they were out of town, and we slept so comfortably. It took some getting used to since it takes a couple seconds for the bed to conform to you if you change positions.

My husband sleeps pretty hot so he is a little concerned about making the purchase and sleeping on it during the summer time. But, Temperpedic re-did their beds and are now including these mattress covers that are supposed to help you sleep cooler and we are also looking at the Cloud Breeze line as well.

It's just such a huge investment on top of building our house. We'll probably buy it at Ashley's and pay it off over time. We have done that many times before.

If you have Temperpedic experience, I want to know about!

Comments (21)

• beaglesdoitbetter1
    9 years ago

We have a tempurpedic. One of the most expensive fancy ones, I forget specifically which model but it has extra stuff. It is comfortable. However, in FL, we have a Bodipedic Essentials 8-inch King-size Memory Foam from Overstock.

The FL bed is at least as comfortable, if not more comfortable, than the Tempurpedic. We like this mattress so much, we bought 5 more of them (3 spare beds in PA & 2 in FL).

Neither the Tempurpedic nor the biopedic sleeps hot. But I would never spend the money for the Tempurpedic again.

• mom2sethc
    9 years ago

Hello,

We have had ours for about 10 years. I have loved it since day 1, my dh at first felt that it was hot. He has since removed the protective cover from the mattress and feels that it has made a difference. Actually...we have also replaced our comforter/ duvet and I think the bedding was more behind the heat vs the mattress itself. He has since decided that he loves the mattress as well. Might I add that he has never failed to fall asleep immediately since we got it, even when he wasn't sure about it! I would buy another, but don't see mine wearing out any time soon.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I wouldn't want to spend 8 hours a night for years breathing on top of this:

"So, although Tempurpedic and their fellow memory-foam manufacturers do not disclose the contents, an educated guess says memory foam, made from petroleum, contains numerous components with potential for off gassing VOCs.

Foam obtains memory by varying levels of chemicals which change it's density in successive layers.

Polyurethane foam can contain;
    acetaldehyde,
    benzene,
    limonene
    styrene,
    and formaldehyde."

• christine40
    9 years ago

we have had ours for 10 years---sleeps like a furnace!! ours has also sagged to the point I believe we can utilize our warranty--they will replace free of charge (or you can pay for an upgraded model) for the first 10 years....we are not big people either!! my sis had one as well, from about 10 years ago-and it sagged and she replaced after 8 years. I wonder if they had a quality problem at that time? We are trying to figure out if we should use our warranty and upgrade to one of those cool cover ones?? We would get credit for about 1/2 of the cost if we do?? I love it, but now it's not comfortable because its sagging.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

I read about this mattress startup in Entrepeneur magazine, and it really interested me. They ship the mattress to you and give you 40 days to decide if you like it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Casper

• dedtired
    9 years ago

Here's a Saatva, similar to the Casper that Best years posted. It gets great reviews but I could not buy a mattress without testing it first.

I tried a memory foam mattress at Verlo. It was ahhhhh! However the edges have no support (they sink down when you sit on them or push yourself up in the morning) and I did not like that. Can't comment on the heat factor as I have never slept a whole night on one.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I adore my Tempur-Pedic Cloud Luxe. I tested it in the store and could have stayed on it all day. I have had it for a few years and it looks and feels like I bought it yesterday.

I really hesitated buying memory foam because I am always hot but I haven't found it to sleep hot at all.

The only thing that I didn't like about it was the off gassing. It seemed to take forever for the wretched smell to go away.

• sis2two
    9 years ago

We have Tempurpedics Comfort Select and we absolutely love it! Ours is about a yr. old and it is not hot at all. We had one before that for 13 years and it wasn't hot either. I have known many people who have purchased knock offs and been very unhappy. In my opinion, they are worth the money. I know the new ones come with a very nice cover- make sure you get one of them! And I would recommend the comfort select.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Actually...we have also replaced our comforter/ duvet and I think the bedding was more behind the heat vs the mattress itself --

What did you replace the comforter/duvet with? (I'm in the market for a new bed AND new bedding)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

sjhockey, just make sure all bedding is either 100% cotton or 100% wool, or a wool/cotton blend. They are great temperature regulators.

The reason memory foam mattresses are hot has to do with the density of the foam and that the body tends to not move a lot on them.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'm going in search of natural latex that I can try out this weekend. I do find memory foam to be very comfortable, but I sleep very hot and so it's probably not a great choice for me (I've only slept overnight on it at a hotel, once).

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

i love mine.

but let me tell you this....i recently worked on a trial with some importers who were involved in bringing tempur and adjustable bed frames to the states from china and taiwan. i asked them if the thousands extra i spent on the name brand was worth it rather than going with the bob-o-pedic. they said it was essentially the same mattress. and definitely not worth the price differential.

• clt3
    9 years ago

Many Tempurpedic models now have a cooling gel and do not sleep hot. We had a latex mattress that we liked very much when it was new, but it developed large indents within 2 years.

• bestyears
    9 years ago

Backing up what elizabeth said...

A few years ago, I replaced my two separate couch cushions with one long foam cushion. When I visited the foam store, I noticed they also had foam mattresses for sale. I asked about it, and they told me the Temperpedic patent had expired.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

According to Tempurpedic, they never had a patent on the foam itself:

"According to Tempur's 2008 10-K filing they don't have any patent on the material. Considering that the actual formula was released by NASA publically, they couldn't if they wanted. What they do have is excellent marketing and perhaps a product that is more commercially viable than the competition.

"We rely on trade secrets to protect the design, technology and function of our TEMPURî material and our products. To date, we have not
    sought U.S. or international patent protection for our principal product formula and manufacturing processes. Accordingly, we may not be able to
    prevent others from developing viscoelastic material and products that are similar to or competitive with our products."

• rgps
    9 years ago

Elizabeth, can you reveal what the bob-o-matic mattress is? Tempted by getting a tempurpedic since I need a new bed but HATE paying for marketing and brand names. A bob-o sounds perfect.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

it's just the bob-o-pedic. http://www.mybobs.com/mattresses-etc/mattresses?collection_name=1287

i paid over 2 grand more for my mattress. and it is supposedly essentially the same. another friend got the bob-o one on this information, and she confirms, she cannot tell the difference between hers and mine. i cannot either. and the warranty is the same. there are fewer to choose from from the bob line, but beggars can't be choosers!

• rgps
    9 years ago

Oh funny. I assumed bob o pedic was a made up name for generic mattresses or something. Like a dan ackroyd skit about some gizmo on SNL.

• elizabeth714
    9 years ago

nope! from bob's discount furniture

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I wouldn't get a memory foam mattress for the sole reason that I can't imagine sleeping on, every night, for eight ours, for years on end, and breathing in polyurethane, among other things.

However, I'd love a memory foam sofa cushion. I like firm, but not hard, sofa cushions, and my maddening experience with buying a sofa between 2011 and 2013 showed me that it is near impossible to get a decent cushion from a sofa manufacturer.

• tinker1121
    9 years ago

Best years, thanks for posting about the Casper mattress. All the reviews and most You Tubes are excellent reviews and I am so tire of looking for a mattress that I ordered a Queen Casper this morning. Got a $50 off from a referral link so only $800, no tax and I can use my existing split box spring.
    Fingers crossed I will love it and like how delivery is free, the box is manageable and the 40 day trial has been extended to 120 for a full refund and pick up. They can't have a warranty like that without it being a top of the line item.
    If I don't like it, second choice is the Sealy Hybrid which is double the price.
    Thanks again and I will post when I try it for a few weeks!