Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
afireinside7444

ANOTHER Sunrise vs Marvin quote Michigan

afireinside7444
10 years ago

Question I have gotten quotes for 20 windows and 1 patio door. Marvin Integrity and Sunrise Verde (2 essentials in garage more on that later)

Both installers are going to do aluminum trim on the outside and re-do our interior sills, trim work and add primed casing (I will paint) and they quoted for full replacements. (we have junk flanged vinyl that fits tight to jack studs/studs. We have the dreaded drywall that makes a 90 deg turn to the window with a small trim piece to caulk against the window. Currently we have 17 year old builder grade junk no name windows no E coating, moisture/ice in almost every window and a few cracked panes, the patio leaks so bad the floor is freezing.

The Marvin guy was first decided on all Ultrex. We decided on no garage windows (x2) I could save money and call a glass shop and replace the glass of the old ones to remove the grids to allow it to match the others but they would do the same exterior trim as the rest. We would make the living room 2 large double hungs instead of the current 1 large, 2 small their now. The Patio door and the 2 windows in living room will be the upgraded glass because we get intense N/W sunsets in the summer. The 15 remaining will be the standard glass. Price is being calculated right now but when I said I wanted to pay between 10-15k for the 17 windows and 1 patio he gave me a very stern look and "it will be on the higher side for sure" So after tax I bet I will be at or above 15k.

Sunrise was next with the all white Verde (Essentials in garage) He is doing ALL 20 windows but stepping the 2 garage down to essentials (said why replace the glass for $100+ per or so when he can replace them for a bit more) He wants to do a larger picture window flanked by 2 smaller double hungs with the 12 layer glass in living room, a 12 layer on the patio door AND the 12 layer in the bedroom above the patio door with the same N/W evening exposure. The remaining 16 windows would be their standard glass. OTD price for 20 windows and patio (he said he would cover 1/2 tax) is $12,975. ($12,500 +$100 for the bedroom window in APEX glass and $375 for half tax) Also we can decide on a garden window in kitchen for $1000.00 more (would be really neat!)

I like Sunrise its a Local Michigan Co, The installer/owner/sales guy (Shelton Windows in Milford MI has been around since '71) And from reading on here I like their performance and warranty (lifetime no proration) And the price looks great!

Any opinions, ideas? Good price for the 20+ a patio and 4 upgraded glass vs 17+ a patio and 2 upgraded glass?

Comments (26)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

The Sunrise Verde is a much better window, better thermal performance, much lower air leakage rate, and a much higher structural number. Good looking window.
    The sunrise essentials is where it belongs; in a garage. Thats it.
    The Marvin Integrity all ultrex is cheap looking, flimsy, and has a very high air leakage number( very bad).
    The Marvin Infinity all ultrex is much better looking and built better than the Integrity. Some guys think they are basically the same, the are NOT .

• afireinside7444
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok got another Sunrise quote from local dealer 2 of 3.

$14,700 for the exact same specs as the initial installer +$1506.00 to go with a garden kitchen window instead of slider. Total $16,206

$12,975 + $1000 for garden window round up total $14,000

Me and the wife really dig the garden window after we have seen it.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

I'd agree with the recommendation for the Sunrise.
    I am no more a fan of the Marvin Infinity than the Integrity, but I believe that both are solidly built, just not top performers. IMO, the reason to go with a Marvin product would be for the rich look and feel of a wood interior. For that purpose, the Wood/ultrex unit is nice. The all-ultrex product (Integrity AND Infinity) is the answer to a question that nobody is asking: Can you get a product that is more expensive than a premium vinyl choice, but with inferior performance, and no other tangible benefit?
    Sunrise Verde is a very good window that will serve you well, and that pricing is good for the amount of work involved.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

The Infinity has THICKER walls than the Integrity ( all ultrex), a marvin rep told me that. Its also designed better and is nicer looking.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

I've never heard that. Not to say that it isn't true, but it is also far less significant in a fiberglass product than vinyl. The all-ultrex Infinity is a little bit prettier than the Integrity, I'll give you that. Other than that, I'm just not a big fan, particularly at the inflated price that they typically fetch. Similar AI and U value ratings for both, neither being anywhere near the top vinyl choices. To me, Marvin is a beautiful and well-built wood window (both the Ultimate and wood/ultrex Integrity), but again, there is a performance trade-off.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Agree, the Marvin wood Ultimate is nice. I was just trying to say Infinity is built better than all ultrex integrity. That said, Infinity totally lacks in performance; high air leakage number and a less than stellar Ufactor.
    Plenty of much better windows out there such as high end vinyl. Okna/ HiMark- quantum 2 - Sunrise Restorations to name a few.
    The Okna/ Himark 800 series is also nicer looking than the Infinity and blows it away from a performance stand point.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

Agreed

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1 to the previous comments.

The Sunrise is the better window in that comparison in terms of thermal and structural performance numbers. Some would also argue that despite the "synthetic" vinyl look that it is actually prettier than the all Ultrex window.

That last one is a matter of opinion but if we are talking about the wood-ultrex combo, the nod goes to the Marvin.

• David Milford
    6 years ago
    Can I ask if you went with the sunrise windows ?? If so, what installer ? Shelton ?
  • afireinside7444
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes went with Shelton. Did a great job was 4 to 5k cheaper then the other 2 installers in Farmington. This is considering he also installed new interior window trim and ledges (we had just drywall and small ledges before) all new custom bent full exterior aluminum caps. Replaced some rotted wood prior and he built out a deep window in the kitchen. He is slow a one man show that takes his time to make sure its right. Haf him come back and do our walkout slider too. Also had a white fuzzy weather seal stretch from the lock and fail. Sunrise made me a whole new sash and he repalced it for me.

• afireinside7444
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Also tell him Matt B White Lake sent you (i dont think he has a referral plan lol) my Cousin and I think Siter in law used him

• David Milford
    6 years ago

We are in the process of getting quotes from ALL over.. Caswell... Iversons, Lowes.. Pure Energy.. etc........ its overwhelming to say the least... I liked Sheltom... He seemed very knowledgeable....and would install them correctly. What is take on the Sunrise Window itself?... any issues with them?...

• afireinside7444
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Yes from research i only wanted sunrise. Spent about 2 years looking at different brands. Wood is beautiful just too much upkeep and 2 to 3k more money. I know another great installer that would do wood if you want. They have been great no issues other then that seal that they replaced no questions. A what $200 lower sash when they could have just done a $1 fuzzy seal. Great cust service. His trim work interior and ext was top notch also. We just did white vinyl inside and outside none of the fake woodgrain though it did look nice. Our heating and cooling bills went down quite a bit from the old builder grade garbage we had.

• David Milford
    6 years ago

Yes... Who is the other installer you would recommend?.... We have 20 windows to replace, so I want to make sure all my I's are dotted and T's are crossed

• afireinside7444
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Scott Standley 12488903946 alot of guys at my work swear by him but my house was areound 25k......

• David Milford
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Thanks!....... I am leaning with Sunrise over Pella and the others. Shelton seems reasonable and I like the guy..... although his quote came in rather high at $ 950 per window with a double pane with the Ultra U plus glass....... But I am sure there is some wiggle room.

The other quote came in (using Sunrise Triple pane glass) at $789 per window..... with a same glass package....its a tough choice.... The triple pane window has better U factor etc ratings....

• afireinside7444
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We did 3 triple panes due to how our house faces the slider family room pitcure and a upstairs bedroom made a huge difference. Tell him you were quoted less

• Steve J
    6 years ago

Make sure you’re comparing apples to apples David. Sunrise makes 5-6 different tiers, and some installers only handle certain tiers. The restorations are their top tier and an outstanding window. You want to stay away from the lower few. The $175 price difference without 3 pane may be a different tiered window/insulation/trim, etc.

• David Milford
    6 years ago

I was quoted with the Verde Line..... Triple pane in all but 1 window (Picture window is too heavy for 3 panes)......I know the Essentials is not all that good--- The Vangaurd and Restoration Line is quite good--- but the price point is a too much. Verde Line seems to have good reviews---- You have any input on them?

• David Milford
    6 years ago

I actually went to the Showroom to put my hands on them... There are certainly some different features between the 2 lines. I believe the frame itself is the same---as far as the foam filled vinly---- What glass package did you go with and are you happy with it?

And thanks for your info--- Super helpful

• Steve J
    6 years ago

We went with the Triple pane apex package (ultra-u plus8). We're in MN and suffer from both weather extremes. The windows are not yet installed, they were just ordered after before the Christmas. We are actually just doing two double casements first and will live with them for a few months before purchasing more. i want to make sure I truly like our windows before committing another $20-30k for the rest of our windows and doors. Yes, it cost more doing it this way, but I'm ok to pay a bit more to ensure I'm happy.

• David Milford
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We live in Michigan... so I understand about the conditions. We are also thinking about the Ultra U Plus Triple Pane.... We are doing all the windows at once (the existing windows are just horrible---Ive done all I could do to keep the draft out)..... Yes... Its a lot of $$..... we have a quote of around $760/window after some haggling....

• Steve J
    6 years ago

lol, I'm a big higher. $5,300 for the two double casements so like $1300 per pane. But, it's their top of the line window, and trim, and triple pan. Was the cheapest bid I got in our area, and the other bids were only double pane.

• David Milford
    6 years ago

OUCH!!!!...... Yes.....I am sure you are a bit higher d/t the top tier window..... Post back when you get them in.. would love to hear the feedback

• ren ma
    6 years ago

@David M, where are you in Michigan? I'm in Washtenaw county and also looking to replace my windows with Sunrise, quoted about $1K/pane. Would you mind sharing where you get the quote from. Thanks.