Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Velvet Cloak in the morning light..Plus some questions!!

beekeeperswife
11 years ago

Since I have some new questions I thought I'd just post the finished color here. And ask my questions. Also, I absolutely love this color. The mysterious part about it is "How do you photograph it?"

1. Curtains: generally, what are you feeling? White? Silver? Charcoal? I'm talking floor to ceiling panels.

2. Rug: I was thinking white/ivory because when I was auditioning rugs, the dark ones, were, well, too dark. But, will the darkness help weigh the room down? What about a purple shag?

3. The inside of the tray ceiling, the way up there part, above the light tray. I would really like to (at some point) paint it so it is shimmery. Currently it is Gray Owl, but I just imagine it with a shine. I see the glazes at the store, but not sure if that's right. Even the metallic paints. I just would like your ideas about how to achieve that look.

So, here you go....My Big Velvet Eggplant:

and this is just so you can see the tray ceiling I'm talking about and the windows. It's dark, but you can get an idea

Comments (71)

• gardenamy
    11 years ago

Stunning color! I like the platinum rug, and something a little silvery on the ceiling. I like a patterned curtain with it. Can't wait to see if all come together!

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

My Fowler comment is in the wrong thread :/

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

When choosing a rug, I need to keep in mind that down the hall is this rug:

so I don't want to go to crazy with a pattern, including an Oriental rug. In fact I have an old one, but it isn't my style. I'm thinking I want a solid, or as Pal describes it that it reads as one color by the impression it gives.

Well, I cleaned up the room, put the chairs back, uncovered the table. I thought, I should run up to the store and get a big bunch of white hydrangeas and put them in a big vase....but I'm just not in the mood to get out of my painting outfit (and it's a winner) to do that. So, I looked around, found this in the room with the rug pictured above, put it in there, and quite frankly, doesn't the orange go nicely? I know, no pops of color. I hate that word "pop".

but anyway....

• teacats
    11 years ago

Just another possible artwork .....

Here is a link that might be useful: artwork -- shimmering plum landscape

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

teacats, I love all your suggestions! I went and held up one of the pictures I posted above (from the wasabi room in old house) and as I suspected, with a dark wall behind it all you see are the white mattes. I need to keep that in mind.

Thank you for all of these links!

• User
    11 years ago

You have achieved everything and then some with that luscious color. Congratulations ! c

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

How about a bordered rug?
    You could choose a border with pattern, while keeping the ground plain under your table and chair.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

OMG!! That color is GORGEOUS!! Can't wait to see the whole room done

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Is the table glass really that blue IRL? That's a whole other color.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I read that and thought "what table?". Oh, dining rm table is clear glass. Must be reflection of the walls?

So many good ideas!!!

Thx

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Unless the table is Low Fe, Starphire type glass, it has a distinct greenish cast that is heightened in photographs, but probably reads essentially "clear" in real life, because we tend to screen out the color.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

You know any of the colors in your rug would be awesome for drapes.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

For rugs, this one's way beyond my budget, but I like the neutral tone-on-tone effect and the bit of sheen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Horchow's Charlie Rug

• chispa
    11 years ago

Velvet cloak in the morning light ... I thought you were starting a vampire novel!!!

• TheFurnishingsStore
    11 years ago

Beautiful! Great job.

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

For the artwork I'd be tempted to avoid purple altogether and instead use neutrals with creams, a touch of gold/caramel, or silver; botanicals, abstracts or landscapes, maybe. I think the Aerin Lauder and Kaufman rooms from your earlier thread used these palettes, with some added hues. I like the elegance of the looks. My preference would be to avoid having paintings match your mysteriously colored walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aerin Lauder's dining room (again!)

• teacats
    11 years ago

Possible sconce for each side of the mirror?

Here is a link that might be useful: Possible candle sconce -- bellacor

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    11 years ago

Throwing this out there bee...

It looks like your glass top is maybe 52"? What about looking for a larger round piece of glass for the top?

Add textiles to the room with a beautiful tablecloth. You could also add a couple of upholstered chairs to the table too. Maybe bring in those great chartreuse wing chairs you have?

Something like this may be too formal for you - just adding a visual of the idea - but you could use the fabric like pal posted (or chintz!)

• outsideplaying_gw
    11 years ago

Lovely, lovely room you're going to have there. The paint color is just beautiful. Going with bronwyns white-on-white drapery suggestion, how about a sheer white-on-white? I've seen some beautiful sheer patterns if you dont't need the privacy of an opaque fabric and it would definitely add the lightness for all the heaviness of the color and flooring.

• User
    11 years ago

West Elm has some lovely white on white and other nice drapes. Usually free shipping as well. I have been very happy with their quality. c

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Oh, do the shimmering silver ceiling and a sparkling silver drapery or a white drapery with silver glitter. Love the purple.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Love the color and the room.
    My suggestion for the tray is to skip the shine as you have so much of it already, and paint the tray the palest of blues....pale blue and eggplant are one of my favorite color combos. Like a BM cumulous cotton...

I would go with solid drapes, maybe in a tan dupioni silk like in the cabinetry. Gorgeous!

[Modern Kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2105) by San Francisco Kitchen And Bath European Cabinets & Design Studios

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Oh wow, I am lovin' this room and the incredible rug and fabric choices. Given your cool rug in the other room, maybe the solid platinum would look great.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

No answers to your questions.
    I'm just chiming in to say that your paint color is beautiful
    and your dining room is beautiful and inspiring.
    I look forward to seeing the final reveal.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just so no one thinks I'm ignoring their suggestions, I wanted to let you know my thoughts on the ideas above. The ceiling will be done later, if we go forward with that. I just needed to get this room moving along. A can of paint does wonders to a space, doesn't it?

I'm going to keep my eye out for a piece of artwork that really wows me for one of the walls.

I'm going to repurpose a table that is essentially a long marble slab with wrought iron legs as a sideboard. Just to see if I want a piece of furniture in there.

If I ever do come across a big round glass top vs the octagon shape, that has always been my plan. The octagon has been an issue ever since we inherited it. It's great for 4 people, Great for 8 people. 6 people? very odd. Actually I'd love to find a great deal on a rectangular table for the space.

As far as the rug....I think I'm leaning towards a solid color, something light. I love that platinum rug, but as usual, it's expensive. But that doesn't mean I can't find something very similar for less moolah. Yes, I live the "high low project". In fact, I think HGTV stole the idea from me!

I think I'm going to look for some hold-me-over curtains for in there. I'm not ready to sew anything. I want to get the house in a presentable state so we can have our house warming party and wow certain people and maybe lead to a new career. ;-) That's all I'm saying about that for now.

I love all of your ideas and it really has given me a lot to think about. If you feel inclined to keep posting ideas, I appreciate it. I will bookmark this thread so I can keep coming back and checking out the ideas.

Thanks so much you are all so kind
    Bee

• morethanamom
    11 years ago

Beekeeperswife, What a stunning color! Do you remember the trim color you used with it ? Can't wait to see the curtain fabric! Please post a pic when you find it.

• ttodd
    11 years ago

My .02 for the curtains is the palest whisper of silver especially after seeing what is down the hall.

Great color - not surprised one bit!

• User
    11 years ago

Love the wall color and how everything is coming together.

"No to white rug. Too Debbie Reynolds, too much work to maintain."
    Bronwyn's mom, I am going to have to remember that to tell my mother... thanks for making me LOL!

• loribee
    11 years ago

OMGosh...the paint color is beautiful! Keep going...

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

With the white wainscoting, there's already a lot of white in the room, with the upholstered chairs adding even more. I'm envisioning a sandy/gold color, not a beige per se, but with a hint of gold. A small bolster shape pillow on each chair, using the same fabric, would tie it all together.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the grays/silvers are a trend at the moment, and may look dated in a few years, if not less. ;o)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

With the white wainscoting, there's already a lot of white in the room, with the upholstered chairs adding even more. I'm envisioning a sandy/gold color, not a beige per se, but with a hint of gold. A small bolster shape pillow on each chair, using the same fabric, would tie it all together.

Just my 2 cents, but I think the grays/silvers are a trend at the moment, and may look dated in a few years, if not less. ;o)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

This is close to the color I'm envisioning, a warm tan with just a hint of gold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silk fabric

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Alright, I followed my original gut. I went with curtains that are almost a match to the walls. The light curtains (there were many auditioning for the position) looked too much like a stripe of white. Very distracting to the eye. bleh. These just add to the drama.

I tried taking some pictures. But alas, this room is not cooperating. The windows face East, so the morning light causes issues with photographing the window wall, and in the evening the light is still so strong it's hard to do. So here is the best I can do. Trust me, it looks nice. I need to think about something inside the window. I thought I would go w/o a matchstick roman shade (which I usually just leave up but love it for the texture), but I think it needs something to finish it off.

And back to rug....there is a gorgeous one at HomeGoods. But all I can hear is Bronwynsmom saying "Debbie Reynolds" and I have to look away....

so, here are some pics, I had to use a flash because of the lighting situation.

The curtains are a little tightly pushed back right now, I steamed them and even steamed in seams so they wouldn't be too "puffy". I think they will relax a bit.

and my new light. Love the crystal base, the pleats and the crystals around the shade.

• kitschykitch
    11 years ago

I think you ARE channeling Debbie Reynolds (see last photo). I say, go with the rug you like. We don't even have to know. How did you get the colors so close between the wall and fabric --- i love it.

• gsciencechick
    11 years ago

Love the window treatments! They are such a perfect match. Heck, go for the HG rug. If you don't like it in your space, you can always return it.

• hermajesty
    11 years ago

They look wonderful Bee! I love that lamp too. If you decide you want a bit more sparkle you could easily add a row of rhinestones along the edge of your curtains too.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I AM Debbie Reynolds.

lol

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

My mother-in-law thinks she looks like Debbie Reynolds, but unfortunately she didn't get the personality to go with the look.

Bee, it looks gorgeous. Now get thee to Home Goods and put that rug down so we can see it!. (Please?)

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Does it not seem dark to you, especially at night? I don't know what direction the house faces , but maybe that should be taken into consideration, especially during the winter months.

Love those lamps too~bought them at HL for DD's birthday for the MB. They do add a lot of glam to your space!

• cooperbailey
    11 years ago

Ah, your room has this cottagey, rusty, vintagey heart all atwitter. swoon. btw your last house affected me the same way.

• beekeeperswife
    Original Author
    11 years ago

patty_cakes, no, not too dark in there. The fact that the light is streaming in the window is the problem, I can't take a photo of the wall with the windows. And as far as the light at night goes, it is dark in there, but that is the look we were going for, it's a very mysterious, romantic and elegant look. It's not too dark, the crystal chandy and the lights in the tray ceiling offer plenty of light. It's only for dining, so it's perfect for us!

cooperbailey, you make me laugh.

• francoise47
    11 years ago

Beekeeper --
    Your new curtains that nearly match your gorgeous wall color are perfect!
    I read somewhere that many decorators favor blending the curtains with the wall color.
    Your dining room shows why that works so well.

• sochi
    11 years ago

Absolutely stunning colour and room. Love it.

• ladeeda
    11 years ago

Lovely! Your "gut" did good! lol
    Bee, count me as another with more traditonal, vintage, etc., decor tastes who is being won over by the decor in this house and your previous one. Love the dark, moody, romantic dining room with bling. Can't wait to see the rug....and more...

• cottonpenny
    11 years ago

Very pretty! You inspire me to take risks - I am such a boring grey-beige beige-grey type of person, it's so nice to see how you can be bold and have it come out looking so elegant!

And I love how the dining room matches your vacuum...nice touch ;-)

• darlene64
    11 years ago

Bee, your dining room is absolutely stunning. I have one wall in my master bedroom done in velvet cloak. I was to nervous to do the whole room, but after seeing your room, I wish I had been braver. Could you tell me where you found your curtains?

• Pipdog
    11 years ago

Those curtains are a win, bee! Now get the darn rug from HG and be done with it already! ;)

• busybee3
    11 years ago

very good choice for the panels!!! you have a clean slate now for your rug... bring home options and try them--- that's the only way i can really tell if they work (lots of work, but worth it!)