Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wobbly1905

Pella Designer with Blinds Quote

wobbly1905
12 years ago

We had Lowes quote a Pella Designer 38 x 87 three wide, fixed center with two casements, combination window. These windows have built-in mini-blinds, triple pane with low-E glass and fixed screens. Aluminum clad exterior, unfinished pine interior. The frame has 7" depth. The quote was $2300 without installation.

Seems like a lot to us. Any comments on alternative brands or sources would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

you pay dearly for the blinds in the glass option. I would guess it added oer $1k to your total compared to the Proline or architect series windows.
    Also realize they are not a true triple pane window. The inner pane is not air sealed and does not offer the same performance of a sealed triple pane window. The u value difference is minimal compared to the dual pane windows.
    btw- prepared to get bashed by people on this forum about Pella...even though I have personally never had an issue with any of their products on all the buildings I have done...

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are only a few manufacturers offing the blinds in glass which I have read about: Pella, Sunrise, and Eagle.
    Pella only offers them in fixed and casement style. Using two casements in the combination window adds to the cost.

The "triple pane" description is deceptive, I agree.

Pella has closed the local independent showroom and now serves the area from almost 200 miles away. They are pushing installation by themselves, not through their "certified contractors".

Lowes Pellas special order price is sweetened a bit by a current promotion offering a $400 gift card for a $2500 purchase. There is might be another 10% discount for using a "mover's card" and 5% for using a Lowes credit card.

I'm going to check prices with Sunrise and Eagle using sliders instead of casements. I've been told that the blinds in these brands are not as attractive as are the Pellas.

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

The Pella blind is the best functioning and looking IMO compared to others. Ealge uses theirs in a dual pane option without near the amount of blind types or colors. The pella you can also change them later if you decide to.
    A slider window is horribly inefficient and you will most likley not achieve the same look as you will with the tri-casement. What about going fixed-casement-fixed to reduce costs slightly?

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"What about going fixed-casement-fixed to reduce costs slightly?"

Good idea! We rarely open the existing awning windows except when something burns while cooking. Our remodel will have a powerful range hood that will help that.

Thanks!

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"What about going fixed-casement-fixed to reduce costs slightly?"

I checked the Pella website, and that configuration is unfortunately not offered.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

although not a fan at all of Pella, 2 single fixed casements and 1 single venting casement are normally available and can be mulled together to make up your desired configuration. Or possibly even factory ordered as F-V-F as opposed to the standard L-S-R.

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Millworkman, this is from the Pella web site:
    http://www.pellaadm.com/userdocs/documents/CM_COMBO.pdf

Perhaps, Pella offers combinations not shown in its catalog?

• millworkman
    12 years ago

doesn't hurt to ask

• PRO
    Epiarch Designs
    12 years ago

wobbly- they can factor mull about any combination. I did a home where I used 5 Designers, 32x60 with a transom on top of each, 32x18. Only 2 of the windows are casements, rest fixed. It came to the job site in 2 pieces with a mulling kit since they were so big.

• wobbly1905
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Izerarc and millworkman,
    You are correct. Pella offers combination windows configurations other than those shown on the web. Pella Outside Sales quote for the suggested Fixed-Vent-Fixed combination was MUCH lower than Lowes.