Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcheferin

replace patio french doors - what door company to go with?

pcheferin
10 years ago

I am replacing a set of french doors that lead to my deck. They are original builder grade that came with the house (20 years old). One is fixed and one swings in. I'm looking for two swinging in doors. I've been reading old posts and seeing that there are issues with Pella and Anderson doors. Kolbe is not an option where Iive (Maryland). How about Marvin? Anything else we should be considering?

Also, is there any way to have a screen door with swinging french doors? I assume not, but thought I would check just in case.

Thanks.

Comments (8)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

Assuming by the information you have provided that you want a wood door. Marvin is one of the best. Screens are available with in swing doors (they will swing out or you can get retractable).
    Other than age, why are you replacing the doors? That information as well as your choice of material will help us guide you. Approximate size would also help.

• pcheferin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The current doors are 60" wide, 80" tall. They are wood framed metal doors. The fake window pane trim on the inside (maybe vinyl, plasticky) has yellowed with age and is nailed in with visible nails (ugly). The wood frame has rotted outside (and been replaced several times already). They are not energy efficient - they face south with significant sun exposure. One is fixed and I prefer both to swing.

Because of the sun exposure and winter weather, we want doors that will withstand the elements. And, I'd like them to look nice outside and inside.

Thanks

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Can they swing inward?

If so, you can get a screen as eastbay mentioned.

You can get Kolbe in MD last I checked. Shennandoah window and sash sells them.

• pcheferin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, the can swing inward. I did see Shennandoah but we are about 100 miles away from them so I assumed (bad thing to do, I know) that they wouldn't come this far. If they will come that far, are they that much better in quality to go that distance?

Thanks.

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

Get the best quality and highest rating your budget can afford (DP or Performance Grade) because of the southern exposure. A multi point lock on both panels would be ideal. Not all multi points are created equal. I prefer a multi point that locks into the head and sill of the door frame not to the adjoining panel as some do. They will help to keep the door panels plumb over time. If you don't have an overhang or trees providing shade in the summer, I would also recommend Lowe 366 or its equivalent.
    As for the install, make sure they use a sill pan under the door. Again, especially because of the southern exposure. Familiarize yourself with the manufacturer's recommended installation method (should come with the door or found online) and question anything you don't like. Don't hover over the installer's shoulder as they won't appreciate that but show that you care and want it done right. You won't regret it.

• pcheferin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Eastbay10, thank you.

Great advice that we will follow carefully.

Can you rate the high quality manufacturers for us?

We budgeted $5000 to $6000 but we haven't been shopping yet - is that even close to getting us the quality we want?

I've looked at Lowe 366 and would definitely get that - currently we have film on our windows on that side of the house that tints the glass and it has made a huge difference.

Thanks

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    10 years ago

I agree with the other experts here putting Marvin on top followed closely by Kolbe and Loewen third. Stay away from Eagle as I don't like the lack of adjustable hinges, Jeld Wen and Pella (overall quality). Good luck and post your results.

• pcheferin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you.

I will definitely post results.