Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
collectinjunk

How'd she *do* that?

collectinjunk
16 years ago

I have tons and tons and tons of old windows, removed from my historic home, and I'm itching to do something creative with them! There's a website (can we post that here? It's www.gardenglasswindows.com ), and I'm dying to try this technique ... or something similar. Has anybody here done anything like this? If so, can you give me some pointers? I'm especially interested in the "foggy-clear putty-looking" stuff. What in the world *is* that? It almost looks like glue has been spackled on the window or something, doesn't it? Maybe it's that stuff (what's it called?) that you pour into clear vases and it looks like water. Probably not, but that's my best guess. Aw heck. I'm clueless. Thoughts?

Comments (53)

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yay! You guys are the best. Glad I got you on board. Are those not the coolest things you ever saw? I mean, if I were her, I probably wouldn't share my secret. But considering I'm not her -- but would like to grow up to *be* like her -- I hope she *does* tell all! Keep us posted!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Boyohboy, are those neat windows or WHAT?! I wonder how she treats the wood to make them last for a long time outside?

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

Some are fused it says. And if you glue/silicone one textured clear peice of glass on another peice of textured clear glass, it will look like that too. I think some of them would REALLY bling if she grouted them!!! Nuthin' says POP like grout!heh heh! Thanks for posting her site, it is so nice to see a fellow recycler artist's work, maybe we should invite her to the forum!!
    Junkcollectin: Are you gonna do one?!!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:129681}}

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh you betcha ... as soon as I figure out exactly how to do it. I mosaic a lot of things, but I've never done it quite like that. The problem with grouting that particular style of mosaic is that the stained-glass pieces (in some of them) are too far apart, ya know? Grout wouldn't work on some of them. But since I already know how to mosaic with grout -- and I just found a local store that sells stained-glass scraps by the pound -- I'll likely at least make one of these in the near future...I'll keep you posted, definitely!

• mosaicwench1
    16 years ago

While I like her pieces and she's got a good thing going with whatever glue/waterproofing medium she's using, I don't find them to be technically very good (as usual, this is my OPINION).

The grout lines (whether she grouts or not) are uneven and seem poorly planned. She seems to rely upon the foggy stuff to hide or at least minimize a lot of design flaws.

Again, this is my opinion and it's worth as much as you paid for it (smile).

I agree with Calamity - I think they'd be much better grouted.

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Could that be an epoxy?

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Good question. I was wondering, at first, if it was that "Pour On" stuff that hardens like plastic. But the Pour On dries a little more clear and less "rubbery-looking" than whatever this artist is using.

I don't disagree that grout would make these stand out and that maybe the glue-stuff hides some flaws. To be honest -- and perhaps I should be ashamed to say -- that's probably some of the appeal to me. Sigh. I don't have a lot of patience. Makes ya wonder what I'm doing mosaicing, huh? Heh.

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Crackin' up. I have read so many people here say they have little patience. I think that might be part of this disease we all have caught. How can ya' have patience when you get so excited to break, cut, glue and grout!

• yvonne_tpi
    16 years ago

Some old windows will have that foggy look, we have some panes in the shed and I can't get them clean. Etching cream or light sandblasting will work for you and give you a good adhesion base for GOG.

I've just siliconed up a lamp mold using a paint scraper and spatular. When I first slathered it on the finish was almost identical to what she has there. One or two of them look as if she shot the pic before the silcone was fully dry.

I think she has something appealing to those that think grout darkens the panel overall. I would glue chip the glass, it's an attractive background and disguises the silicone very well. Not a costly method ... but not for the impatient!

• sunshine_funshine
    16 years ago

Collectinjunk-This is really weird. I was reading through some old threads just now and this person's site was talked about close to a year ago. Some ideas about how she made these. Thought you might want to see it.

Here is a link that might be useful: previous thread on this topic

• chris2u
    16 years ago

It sure looks like silicone to me. I think it's a nice effect. I particularly like the one called Wine Window 2. It appears she's added 1/2 corks to the piece. Nice touch. Thanks for the link.

anotherchris

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for all the great responses! You guys have given some great feedback and ideas! I might get started on a window before long!

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

I saw that on TV -- it's clear silicon smeared with your fingers and a toothbrush ! AWESOME !

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

toomuchglass: awesome! thanks! Here's another question for you guys: is the silicone on the viewing side, along with the glass and all, or on the other side? I can't tell if the silicone is used in the place of grout (thus it'd be on the viewing side) or as a visual-thing (meaning it's on the back side). Hmmm....

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

WHen I saw them making the window on TV -- the textured side was on top . What they did was take a glass pattern -- use colored caulk to make the "lead lines" - let it dry -then smear the clear silicone over the lead lines and all and texture it. I'm guessing that by laying glass pieces on the silicone - that becomes the grout. I sure love this idea !!! I can't wait for someone to try it :)

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great. Thanks! I'm gonna attempt one ... but it might be a while. I gotta get to the glass store first ... and that's gonna have to be after the chaps go back to school (after next week). I'm not trying to drag them into a store full of glass. Tee hee.

Thanks, again, for sharing what you saw on TV!

• haziemazie
    16 years ago

I'd LOVE to do stuff like that. Listen to me - I've done a coaster kit, and I want to do things like that - maybe a little ambitious yet:)

With everything Ive read in this thread though, bearing in mind that I'm TOTALLY clueless, would it work to smear the glass with the silicone, texture it, stick the glass, let it dry, then grout with more silicone? Would that make it more opaque? or would it just be too goopy and unwieldy.

• LinLee
    16 years ago

"spackeled" "slathered" "smeared"...silicone!
    This all sounds very messy to me. ;o)
    Linlee

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

You're welcome collectinjunk ! Hazie - you are exactly right - except grouting with silicone. I'm sure the silicone that's under the glass will squish itself up between the pieces and "look like" grout. I'm dying to try this !!

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

I searched & searched - but couldn't find the schedule for the TV show it's on... but it's called "HOW IT'S MADE" . It's on the discovery channel. They show how they make all sorts of things . The episode showing how caulk is made - has at the end , a little snippet of how caulk can be used as stained glass. If you have a TV section - keep your eyes open !!

• shellybelly26
    16 years ago

I would love to try this technique and have been bugging huub to help me frame out some panes of glass I have on the porch but they are very large heavy peice so I have no idea how that would work out. They are almost to big to do anything with.

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Try a small piece first . I can't wait --- I'll be doing a small piece this weekend.

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Awesome! Be sure to post a photo!

• maddielee
    16 years ago

I'm sooo excited!

I have been searching for the technique since last year....I did a 'google' and the "How It's Made" episode that toomuchglass mentioned may be on tomorrow! Could this be it?

How It's Made: Handcuffs, Caulking Compound, Propane Tanks, Forensics
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 6:30 PM (EST)
    Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 3:30 AM (EST)
    Tuesday, August 21, 2007 at 8:00 PM (EST)
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 5:00 AM (EST)
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 8:00 AM (EST)
    Wednesday, August 22, 2007 at 2:00 PM (EST)

Here is a link that might be useful: Discovery schedule

• spiderwoman
    16 years ago

There is a glass paint that makes a frosted glass. I have used it with great success on some glass cabinet doors that had clear glass where I didn't want to display things. Gallery Glass was the brand that I used but there are some other brands as well.
    spiderwoman

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Did anybody try this over the weekend?

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

I want to try it - but glass is hard enough to photograph - I'm worried on how hard clear silicone would be.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Ok...I had to try it...this is not a work of art by any means!! I just got out some silicone and here is the result..its not even dry yet. I didn't do it as thick as she did nor did I do any set pattern. It was fun though because it was different!!! Im sure she used a lot thicker silicone..if it changes in looks after it dries I will re post..
    {{!gwi}}

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

I forgot to say that I looked through her gallery and I really liked the stuff. Some of it really reminded me of some of Janes stuff. She has some cool techniques she has used with mirror and then open glass (no silicone on that part) I may have to check into doing a little bit of this...the next one though will look decent. Not like the one I just did.

• nicethyme
    16 years ago

that is cool Chickee! remains to be seen if the silicone will yellow

• toomuchglass
    16 years ago

Cool - Chickee !!! I'll try it next and post !

• texaswild
    16 years ago

What a neat project, CHICKEE. Looks so happy and colorful. How w/you use this piece?

• shrty411
    16 years ago

Thanks for experimenting. Looks like a cool technique!!

Maria

• collectinjunk
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yAy cHiCkEeMaMa!!! That looks GREAT! And I think it certainly *is* a work of art! I'd hang it! Okay, you've inspired me. I'm making some necklaces right now, and finishing up on a clock mosaic. But I must, must, must try this next. That's all there is to it.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

Thanks gals..but I did it in about 10 minutes to try it out...I of course can't get rid of it so I will put it in my other pile of.."dont like it but of course cant throw it away stuff!!!"

When I FINALLY get my hummingbird bench done I will have to check this stuff out further.

Collectin and Slow can't wait to see what you come up with..
    I really like how the artist used the stuff, I hope it doesnt yellow over time like nice was thinking it might!

• crackpotannie
    16 years ago

I checked the Discovery channel but all we had on here was reruns from 2003.2005 did anyone see the show that was scheduled for today?Rosie did she answer your e-mail?I think yours turned out good Chickee!

• yvonne_tpi
    16 years ago

That's interesting, another 2 or 3 and you'd have a beaut column lamp!

• lyndalu
    16 years ago

annie - I also tried several times to see that show, but it was never on here at the times they posted, and when I found the show at other times of the day, it wasn't the right episode.

chickee - that is really cool!

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

Chickee that does look really cool and I think Yvonne's idea for a light would be the perfect way to display it.

Cindy

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

a column lamp huh? I might think of doing that...It would have to be a low light one thats for sure!!! I'll have to see if I can get some more sheets cut to match that one.

I really hope some one else tries this again soon...it really was quick and different from what I'm used to doing. It doesnt take the place of good ol grout though!!!

• texaswild
    16 years ago

It's not on my want-to-do list. It might be hard to clean after a few years. IF I wanted the effect, I think I'd use the glass etching technique, and make patterns w/it to resemble texture, but then why - there's textured glass for that, and I'd then prefer grout, so this doesn't appeal to me in the least.

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

Chickeemama

Tell more about the hummingbird bench you are working on!

Becky

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

slow- sure go ahead flatten my sails!!! (Just joking) the idea of cleaning all the stuck on dust did kind of make me do an about face...I could just see me cursing myself when that happened. If it was for something outside it might work.

Becky here is a picture of my hummingbird that I've been working on. Its a cement bench for my Mom. It will be centered on the bench and I'm doing something in each corner.

{{!gwi}}

This is not a current picture it is all cut (flowers and such) and I'm almost done with the fill (white)

• zone_envy
    16 years ago

Chickee, I never thought about the dust issue....never do, lol. How about using it as part of a water feature? It would be really cool to see the water bouncing off of all those sparkly gems. Maybe even backlit so that it would show up at night.

Love the hummingbird, you did a fantastic job of cutting all those pieces so perfectly! I can't wait to see the bench.

Cindy
    (who has plenty of fanciful dreams and ideas to go around and just needs to work on actually making some of them a reality!)

• texaswild
    16 years ago

Well shut my mouth. Sooooo sorry if I sounded negative. Doncha just wanna slap people like me - w/big mouths that spew negative remarks. Eating humble pie here. Humming bird is beautiful and oh so detailed. The glass in the tail is very interesting - so many colors in one teensy piece. Gonna be a wonderful bench. Wish I could find dishes in that dark green color.

• chickeemama
    16 years ago

SLOW-- You did not sound negative...you just stated the obvious...thank you. You weren't spewing a negative remark at all!!! Get that pie out of your mouth!!!!

Thank you for the remarks on the hummingbird. It is cut from one sheet of glass believe it or not!!! I bought the glass cause it was just sooo cool and didn't know what I was gonna do with it. It was a big sheet so I still have quite a bit left.

ZONE_A water feature would be a cool idea cause then it would clean itself (ha ha)

• hrsg
    16 years ago

Think I found what she uses, and I don't know why I did not think of it to begin with. It would not necessarily have to be this brand, but...

NuFlex 366 Marine Sealant is a 100% medium modulus, one component caulking material with a consistency similar to that of toothpaste. NuFlex 366 cures to a tough, rubbery solid upon exposure to moisture in the air.

Because it does not flow due to its own weight, this sealant can be applied overhead or on sidewall joints and surfaces without sagging, slumping or running off. It adheres to clean metal, glass, most types of wood, silicone resin, vulcanized silicone rubber, ceramic, natural and synthetic fiber, painted surfaces and many plastics. NuFlex 366 has good resistance to weathering, vibration, moisture, ozone and extreme temperatures. It may be applied in sub-zero weather without loss of extrusion or physical property characteristics and is effective to Â46°C (-50°F). NuFlex 366 can be used for the following: 1) Caulking and sealing a round bathtubs, shower stalls, bathroom vanities, kitchen counters, sinks, windshields, deck hard w a re, portholes and hull fixtures, above the water line. 2) For making gaskets to replace costly paper gaskets, for timing chain and valve covers and for water pump thermostat housings. 3) Any application that requires a permanently flexible waterproof seal that will withstand moisture, heat and vibration.

I'm going to do some checking with the local boat and marinas to see if they carry or sell anything like this that I can try. I want something like this for my GOG I just finished.

What do you all think?

Here is a link that might be useful: Marine Sealant

• klinger
    16 years ago

I think that could be exactly what she uses. It sure sounds dureable. I'd say do a test piece and then go for it,
    Cindy

• Calamity_J
    16 years ago

I LOVE your Hummer Chickee!!!!

• becky_ia
    16 years ago

I love the hummingbird bench. Would love to see it when all finished. You do beautiful work!

becky

Sponsored