Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

How would you frame this?

Boopadaboo
10 years ago

I have only had a few things framed over the years and I don't think I did a great job of picking out the matts and frames.

Any opinions on this watercolor? I think for a watercolor you are supposed to put glass over it. Is that correct?

these are the pictures from the auction. I dont have it yet, it is on the way! (thanks for the push Oakleyok. I had been watching it awhile and looking at it multiple times a day. they accepted my second offer! :)

Should it have a matt too?

Comments (6)

• Oakley
    10 years ago

I'm so glad you bought it! I have a similar water color (original) with the same colors. It's an outdoor snow scene. It has a white mat & the white really makes the colors stand out. So my vote is white for a mat.

As far as the frame, it depends on where you're going to hang it & what the other picture frames in your room look like and of course how your room is decorated.

I can definitely see a fun, dark red frame! You can buy an inexpensive frame and spray paint it any color you want.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Where are you going to hang it? You might want to take the room into some consideration, though having the frame and mat work with the art is primary.

I went to pictureframes.com and played with it a tad...bottom mat french blue, top mat indigo and a gun metal frame.

• maggiepie11
    10 years ago

oooohh, i'm so happy for you! i don't think i responded to your post, but i too loved this one.

i'm all about painting wood, but i feel like a nice cherry tone wood would pick up the roof color without being too kitchy. i vote cherry frame with white mat. :)

• lizbeth-gardener
    10 years ago

A good framing shop will have people with an eye for what will show the work best. They will have a million different shades of mat board and lots of frames to choose from and be able to advise and narrow your selections.

Some people go to the chain stores with a 40-50% off coupon and still pay more and don't often get the quality that a good framer will provide.

It's a nice piece. I would love to see it when you have it framed.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Agree with lizbeth. One thing I usually do is a double mat of some sort similar to what Annie showed . I think her mock-up looks great.

Oh, and congratulations on getting the watercolor! It is wonderful!

• cheryleb
    10 years ago

I saw that picture on the Art thread and love it too. I like the white and red but that might be a bit too red, white and blue. If you take it to a framing shop they will hold the small piece of matte and frame to it and it makes it much easier to select the right width and weight.

Good luck. I would love to see it framed and hung.