Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kidshouse_gw

engineered finger-jointed window finish advice

kidshouse
17 years ago

Hi,

We have engineered windows (finger-jointed fir). I think painting is the customary treatment. However, dh and children prefer stain -- our contractor handled the windows and we mistakenly assumed wood windows would be stainable -- didn't understand about finger-jointed at the time.

Is there any way a dark full-bodied stain would look good on these windows or is paint the only way to go? And assuming we paint the windows would stained trim be an option or must that be painted also? I would appreciate any advice, we're diy finishing our project with no expertise re: design decisions. Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)

• calbay03
    17 years ago

Why would finger-joint prevent staining? Finger-joint is a way of joining the stile and rail or casing of a typical window and when done well, is a very strong joint. They should be invisible when one looks at the stile and the rail. Even if they are visible, as in some older well made high quality furniture, owners normally stain them to show off the fine construction.

We had two all wood windows before replacing them with AL clad. We stained the exterior wood with multiple coats of marine-grade stain once a year. They held up really well for over 9 years in searing 100 degree heat and wet and cold. If we did not become tired of the annual cleaning and staining, we would have kept them.

• kidshouse
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, thanks for the reply. I must be using the term finger-jointed (possibly incorrectly) differently than you. Our windows are made of small pieces of wood glued together rather than solid wood. Apparently this is ecologically sound and strong. But staining would give a jigsaw puzzle appearance.

• bob_am
    17 years ago

Kidshouse, you're using the correct definition of finger-jointing. It's a way of making little pieces into big pieces. The appearance may not be 'normal' but it may be acceptable to you. You could try staining & sealing one window, or a section, and see how you like it. The joints will really show up if you just wipe on stain. A professional might minimize this by sealing the wood first, then tinting the next layer of finish. If you don't like the results, you can always paint over it! 'Wood' windows are usually pine, and that usually means finger-jointed, so if you want to be able to stain them, you really have to specify 'stain grade' wood in the future, or 'hardwood'. Sorry!

• Michael
    17 years ago

Wow. I haven't seen a finger-jointed window in years!

Most average quality wood windows are solid western pine.

What brand are you using?

Michael