Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bostonoak

Question regarding wired doorbell

bostonoak
9 years ago

I live in a condo building. In my section of the building I'm on the 3rd floor which is the top floor.

I never used to have a doorbell. When I bought my condo, 10 years ago, I found a doorbell in the kitchen but it did not work. The doorbell was mounted on a door frame but it was disconnected, and I could not find the wires that used to be connected to it.

However, in September I hired an electrician who specializes in low-voltage systems like doorbells. He came with a special tool and was able to locate the wires behind the wall. He then connected the wires to a new doorbell that I bought and it worked.

The wall where the wires were found was directly above the wall where my neighbor on the second floor has his doorbell.

Last month my doorbell was disconnected because I was getting new sheetrock and plaster on the wall where it was located. Now that this work has been done I'm waiting for the electrician to come and reconnect the doorbell plus install other fixtures.

In the meantime, my neighbor downstairs has just informed me that his doorbell is not working. He's not sure when it stopped working.

Could my doorbell being disconnected have affected his doorbell? Just curious. I know that both doorbells use the same transformer in the basement.

The neighbor on the first floor uses a wireless doorbell.

Comments (13)

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

If there aren't individual wire runs for each doorbell back to the transformer, then it is entirely possible they were wired in such a way that disconnecting yours interrupted the next one in line...his. Your hot wire has been disconnected and it probably ran on to his doorbell next. They would have saved wire that way when they were originally installed.

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 3:22

• bostonoak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Does this mean that if I reconnect my doorbell my neighbor's doorbell might start to work?

Also, can I connect the wires to the doorbell without being electrocuted since it's low voltage? There are only 2 wires and I know where they go in the doorbell.

• randy427
    9 years ago

You might get a slight jolt if you complete the circuit with your fingers while someone presses the doorbell button, but that would be about all.
    Just don't touch the bare wires while you are making the connections.

• bostonoak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the advice.

However, how can I make the connections without touching the bare wires? :)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Modern chimes (if that is what you have) are powered at 16 volts. Really old chimes are powered at 10 volts. It is extremely rare that a human would sense any electrical power at such low voltages.
    If it is truly a bell, the voltages could be different, perhaps significantly different. It is helpful to use precise terminology when discussing technical subjects.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

stripedbass- Just hook each of the wires around its terminal and screw them down. If you're still concerned, let me point out that the wires are insulated, the screwdriver handle is insulated, and grips on needlenose pliers are insulated. And even if someone pressed the button during the 30 seconds it should take to do this, and you were touching the bare wires, you would be unlikely to feel anything anyway.

• bostonoak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bus_driver & kudzu9,

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I'm going to try to connect my doorbell tomorrow and see what happens.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Good luck. Please report back afterwards, or if you have any problems.

• bostonoak
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My doorbell works.

There are only two wires: a black one and a red one.

Since the plaster guy simply cut the wires rather than unscrew them, I could see where the wires went since one end of the wires was still screwed on.

When I connected the wires from the wall to the doorbell and rang the button on the ground floor the doorbell worked.

I pressed my downstairs' neighbor's doorbell button but it did not ring, as far as I could tell. He's not home so I could not confirm. But if I can hear mine from the ground floor, and I'm on the 3rd floor, I'd think that I can hear his. Anyway, I'll know for sure when I test it while he's at home.

Assuming that his doorbell is not working, I'm puzzled as to how my doorbell being disconnected has affected his. The wires do run along the same wall and I'm sure are all connected somehow.

Very curious.

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

In the meantime, my neighbor downstairs has just informed me that his doorbell is not working. He's not sure when it stopped working

Could be totally unrelated if he can't confirm that his stopped working when modifications were done to yours.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

Glad to hear you got yours working. The neighbor's problem could be a coincidence...or is it possible there is another snipped wire tucked into the hole where your two wires come out of the wall?

This post was edited by kudzu9 on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 17:22

• mtvhike
    9 years ago

I think the "plaster guy" was irresponsible to cut the wires without asking you.

• toolbelt68
    9 years ago

Since you only have one Red and one Black wire at your switch cutting them should not affect the other door bells. The Red wire is âÂÂhotâ and the Black wire is âÂÂgroundâ . When your button is pressed voltage is applied to your chime only because the circuit is completed. Now if you have two red and two black wires connected to the switch then cutting them could stop power from continuing to other door bells. All that happened when your two wires were cut is an open switch in the line was created.