Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robin2007_gw

Can I see pics of throw pillows that *didn't* come with your sofa

robin2007
15 years ago

I want to make some throw pillows for our sofa and loveseat set. It didn't come with any. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out a style of pillow and what fabric to use.

Can you post pictures of throw pillows that you have on your sofa/loveseat that didn't come with the set? Thanks :)

Comments (26)

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I made these about a month ago. The walls will be painted close to the solid color pillow, which matches the WT almost perfectly, but doesn't photograph that way. No pattern, just measured forms I took from clearance feather pillows I got from Target. Sofa will be replaced most likely in leather.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• callaloo
    15 years ago

I have several sets. I think using un-matched pillows is a great way to bring in luxurious/expensive fabrics, without worrying about how they will wear from being sat upon. My favorite is the golden silk with velvet-embroidered dragonflies on it.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

I think most pillows that come with sofas are too matchy-matchy or predictable. I prefer plain colored sofas with patterned throw pillows myself.
    Here's the ones I'm using on our living room sofas at the moment. I had them made with fabric I picked out, although I do make many of my throw pillows myself. I also tend to move my throw pillows back and forth between the family and living rooms, to change the look a bit. They all work with each other, which is a good thing for me.

The smaller pillows are a tiny red & green check in a tweed fabric.
    {{!gwi}}

I found these pillows at Marshalls or TJ Maxx for the two chairs in the same room:

For the family room, I have these throw pillows. They didn't come with the sofa either.

Lynn

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I had these pillows made by Calico Corners when I purchased my sofa.

{{!gwi}}

These ones I bought for much less at Kohl's:

I've been very impressed with the Kohl's cushions. They are zippered with down inserts--all together the price that I paid for the Down inserts on my CC cushions. If I ever want to change them, I can just make or buy new inserts.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

These red pillows did not come with the couch, but they match my breakfast room chairs (see a peek of them behind sofa). Actually, I have replaced the pillows you see, with a more tailored boxy red suede pillows.

These match the brown walls of my study and help to tie together the couch and walls.

{{!gwi}}

These match my wing chairs on the opposite side of the room.

• mimi_2006
    15 years ago

Funny how I notice the crooked coffee table lid and pillows turned different directions when I look at the picture but didn't notice a thing standing there...lol.

• karezz
    15 years ago

Here is my living room. I found the pillows in Home Goods and they just happened to be the same fabric as my custom made chairs (how lucky is that?)!

And family room:

• parma42
    15 years ago

That was a very lucky find, kareezz!

• jynxed23
    15 years ago

The upholsterer made the white one and the lady who made my drapes made the gold one.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

you can do ANYTHING you want here. Anything.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Here's mine even printed on printed works if the colors are close...{{!gwi}}

• stinky-gardener
    15 years ago

I bought the sofa at an "antique" store already upholstered in this dragon fly fabric & it came w/2 matching pillows. Purchased 2 pillows that matched the curtains when I ordered them from Country Curtains.

{{!gwi}}

Karezz, I agree w/Parma, those pillows were quite a find! I was elated when I found this ottoman at TJMaxx, shortly after I had this striped fabric put on 2 small chairs. It is exactly same fabric!

{{!gwi}}

• robin2007
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting your photo's! They all look great, and have given me some inspiration. Our sofa/love are a solid color, so I'm thinking of going with a pattern for a couple of the pillows. Now I'm excited to get to the fabric store!

• vegas_t
    15 years ago

**hijack**

Sorry to get off topic but moremoremore where on earth did you get your cocktail table? I have been looking for a leather topped table/ottoman and yours would be PERFECT!!!

Thanks in advance :)

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

THANKS! Ohhhh, you won't find one. I looked and looked. So I had to make one!!!! The table is the Estate coffee table from Restoration Hardware....It comes with a removable tray that fits inside the base of it that I removed....There is then a dip/lip (actually, there is that dip or lip if you don't remove the tray, because the tray has that too)......I measured the inside space, went to a fabric workroom, and they made the tufted faux leather ottoman that sits inside it perfectly without shifting.....! It's awesome bc if I ever get tired of it, I can just use the table without any upholstery.....or with....or even put the tray on top of the upholstered part for parties! I just took the tray out because the sides of it came up a few inches and I didn't want the upholstered table to be too high to put my feet on!!!! Oh, FYI, I went back and forth on it but got a 5" piece of foam..it worked out great...I hope this helps!

Here is the link to the table

Here is a link that might be useful: table

• threedgrad
    15 years ago
  • IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Another **highjack**: Lynne, your home just looks like it would smell of pinyon and rich, exotic spices. I love seeing your pics! :-)

• vegas_t
    15 years ago

More how creative!!! I knew I wouldn't get off easy. You did an amazing tranformation. The table was beautiful before but even better now.

Anytime you want to make another one let me know :)

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Auntjen, Thanks! Yes, it probably does smell like that, as I love burning candles in the evenings (Vanilla Musk in the MBR and now Pumpkin Spice in other areas) . . . and I live in a small mountain valley, and am surrounded by acres and acres of pinon pine trees. That's the wood we burn in our fireplaces, too. Love, love, love the scent of pinon pine, especially on cool rainy or snowy days!
    Lynn

• newdawn1895
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• susan209
    15 years ago

I am so sorry to do a 'hijack' here but I don't know how else to let 'wegas t' know if you to to: LeatherSofa.com you will find the square leather table/ottoman that you liked of 'moremoremore's" and a couple of other ones. I just looked it up because I had been looking for an ottomas so I was familiar with sorta how to look up one.

• vegas_t
    15 years ago

Susan209 Thank you!!! Going to look now :)

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

Here's mine:

• va_rosemary
    15 years ago

Isandler,

Where did you get your Cavalier picture? I have 3 Cavs and something like that would be perfect in my family room.

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

va rosemary--I bought it at furniture accessory story in Chantilly, VA that is now out of business, about 5 years ago.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I had pillows made by an upholster. I made my out of 2 different fabrics so I can switch with the seasons - with the welt cord a contrasting fabric.
    Here they are with the wool plaid for winter.
    {{!gwi}}
    And here with the khaki linen. Older pic but only one I have with old couch...
    {{!gwi}}

On my club chairs I had kidney pillows made the same way but they are tufted with a button of the constrasting fabric.

Smiles:)