Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafy02

I don't know how you do it! Ready to cry!

leafy02
12 years ago

I know many of you have had huge home remodeling projects done and I just don't know how you can stand it. I have had a couple of guys working on some pretty small jobs off and on for a couple of weeks and I am about to lose my mind.

The dust, the sawing noises, the fact that my dog won't stop barking at them--it's making me insane.

I guess it shows the lengths we'll go to to make our homes look and function the way we want them to. I can't think of any other reason I'd let a pair of really noisy strangers muck up my house and ruin my ability to get anything else done for two weeks!

Comments (32)

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I found wine/beer to be very helpful the summer we re-did the kitchen, gutted the existing bath, and added a second bath to our little 1580 square foot bungalow. Oh, and we had my sister living with us in a make-shift "room" in one corner of the living room. Sis had a summer internship and her living situation didn't work out--turned out that the elderly lady who agreed to rent her the top floor of her house was in the early stages of Alzheimer's and kept forgetting she'd rented out part of her house. She accused my sister of breaking and entering...so sis came to live with us instead.

My kids were not-quite-five and not-quite-three...and did I mention that my house was 1580 square feet? And that I was potty-training the younger kid?

Yeah. It wasn't pretty. Alcohol and take-out helped. As did a sense of humor...

Nowadays I think I'd be seeing my doctor for some xanax. ;^)
    Hang in there! This too shall pass! (But definitely think about wine. Or beer. Gin is good.)

• mclarke
    12 years ago

Aw, leafy, I'm sorry. What exactly are the guys doing?

• nanny2a
    12 years ago

Hang in there, leafy, this, too will pass! I'm about to go through the same thing, and I'm dreading it. We have to have some ceiling and roof repair done and the contractor is coming next week. Unfortunately, the repairs are in the two rooms that my workshop is located in, where I store all my fabrics, and do all my sewing. I know I'm going to have to move EVERYTHING, because of the sawdust, plastering, etc., etc. And my Westies will be doing the typical terrier barking, barking, barking - I'm really dreading it, but this repair work really needs to be done.

I don't, (can't) drink alcohol, but this is one time when I really wish I could! The disruption is going to be horrendous, and there's nothing I can do about it but move everything, cover up what can't be moved, and hope for the best. At least there's no kids around to get in the way, too! The dogs are bad enough.

Leafy, hopefully your work will be done soon, and then you can sit back and enjoy the results. It will be worth the inconvenience, I hope!

• IdaClaire
    12 years ago

Well ... I generally neglect to do it at all. When we had to have our entire house re-plumbed, that job just so happened to coincide with a trip I was taking with my mom to the Cotswolds, so DH got to stay at home and deal with it on his own. I really have something akin to fear at the very thought of having remodeling work done on our house, even though it needs so many things right now. I say this to let you know how very much I admire folks who just go ahead, jump right in, and get it done. At least you will have those jobs completed and you'll get more enjoyment out of your home when it's all over. As for me, I'll just be sitting in my house as it continues to fall apart and think thoughts like, "We really need to have this done ... Well, I'll think about that tomorrow."
    ;-)

• leafy02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mjsee, you can be my new best friend--I like the way you think! If I didn't have to pick my son up and take him to a playdate after school, I'd be hitting the gin right about now.

mclarke, I wish I could report they were doing something glamorous and worth two+ weeks of upset, but no. They were removing part of a wall between the kitchen and dining room, switching out three light fixtures and installing two recessed lights, repairing some drywall damage from a plumbing repair in the utility room, and oh, wait...THAT'S ALL.

Why did it take so long? You name it. They took out more wall than they were supposed to, so had to rebuild it. Brought the wrong fixture, had to go find the right one. Spent a day working on the floor under the removed wall only to find out he couldn't do what needed done because he hadn't brought his saw because he "hoped he wouldn't need it".

And on and on.

I'm just getting what I deserve for hiring someone for sentimental reasons--he's the husband of a young woman I know who is transitioning to working for himself instead of for another contractor. I knew he needed business so I thought I'd give him something small to see how he did before asking about any larger jobs I have in mind. I'm sure he's a lovely person but he's not a planner or project manager.

I actually stopped him from doing a couple other little things that were on the original list, because I just can't take any more. I am just going to do them myself.

• lucillle
    12 years ago

Leafy:

Fire the contractor
    Buy a bottle of something good (for me that is Bailey's Irish Cream)
    When the new contractor come in, cash in some of your friendship credits and have a good friend take the dog during the day 'doggy day care'

Good luck!!!

• vickij
    12 years ago

I have done more than my share of remodeling. I was always willing to put up with the aggravation because I knew that the end results were going to be so good. Keep your eye on the prize!! Early on I found a great guy who could do anything and he could do it all well. He was worth his weight in gold. I keep my business and friendships separate so I never have to experience what you are going through. I hope it turns out well.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

vickij, you are a wise woman--I won't make this mistake again. I got lucky last time--hired the husband of a friend's friend and he was just as you say--worth his weight in gold. Sadly, he's three states away now.

Lucille, about the dogsitting, I wish! Unfortunately, anyone who knows me well enough to cash friendship chips in with is way too smart to take this dog home for the day: she will fight any dog alive (even when this results in surgery), she pees on rugs, she can't walk up or down stairs and barks until someone comes to carry her, and oh, yes, she bites.

Maybe I should take the money I am not going to spend having this guy put in new countertops and use it to hire a psychiatrist who can figure out why I live with this dog?

• chispa
    12 years ago

You don't need a contractor, you need Cesar Milan!!! :-)

I have painters in right now. One week so far and they are not quite half done. Bought the house in Jan and had contractors working here nearly every day for 3 months. The painters are here now because it took me that long to recover from the first batch of work. Kids in school and no dogs to worry about. We also have a big project outside, but I can easily ignore them as they don't have to come into the main house. Just be glad they don't have to jackhammer 900 sq.ft of tile! That was miserable - noisy and dusty.

• suero
    12 years ago

I kept a diary. Here's some of the entry from Day 1:

----------------
    It started when the excavator and his son drove up. The large white van came up to the curb and cracked a large double branch on the Kwanzan Cherry tree. Then the driver (his son son?) backed up and cracked the branch some more. Not an auspicious beginning.

They severed the phone cable. I found this out when I was out and tried to call DH. The phone kept ringing, so I called his cell and found that our phone cable had be cut when they were excavating. Or neighbor's phone service was cut, too.

-------------

But it was worth it.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Chispa, yes, I coulud use a lot of Cesar's time--believe it or not, the Pom is not my only wacky dog.

I can't imagine the jackhammering. I hope I recover from this fiasco relatively quickly--I really want to replace the counters and I'm hoping to get them as a graduation present (for myself) in May...but right now, the butcher-block formica is looking pretty good as-is. At least it would be, if it wasn't covered in dust!

• rucnmom
    12 years ago

Do you have a doggy day care nearby?

• teacats
    12 years ago

Another vote for wine .... and chocolate ... and takeout ...

Just on the downside of a FOUR-week project that meant a new roof and extending the roof over our patio .... hammering, chop saws, nail guns, workmen here at all hours (or not showing up) ......

So we do have our new patio roof, two new outdoor ceiling fans up and running, painted the deck (with one re-do for a better color) around the pool ..... AND STILL WAITING FOR PAINT TO DRY ..... waiting ..... waiting .....

....... did I mention cocktails?????

And three cats ..... who were NOT happy about the noise and the chaos and the upset of their routine ....

• chickadee2_gw
    12 years ago

Hey, look on the bright side - at least they're showing up. New Yorker magazine had a cartoon last week that I cut out and wanted to show my carpenter, but my husband didn't think it was a good idea. The title of the cartoon was Contracter Ants.
    Pictured were 14 black ants scurrying across a kitchen floor with the following remarks in speech clouds:

"We'll see you in a few days."
    "We've got another job."
    "A BIG job! Not like your little job."
    "Don't worry, we'll be back."
    "A week. Ten days max."

It'll be over soon, and they'll be gone. How about some tranquilizers for the dog?

• itltrot
    12 years ago

Laughter and booze. That's what gotten us through some of our projects. We are days away from finishing a much needed privacy fence. It's been so enjoyable to build the fence while the neighbors sit in their backyard and glare at us. Then invite other people over to watch and glare too. All while their 2 small dogs bark at us.

Hang in there. They'll be gone before you know it and you'll have your house back.

• chispa
    12 years ago

leafy02, well it sounds like your wacky dogs are very lucky to have found an owner with a big heart! :-) At least, I hope you get a quiet weekend.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Suero, yes! That is what it was like from the get-go. I should have kept a journal, at least of every time I heard him say "dadgumit".

teacats, my cat had to get a prescription for valium when we were preparing our last house for sale--I can only imagine how nervewracked yours were with all that going on.

chickadee--hilarious. And add to those speech balloons "I'm a perfectionist, that's why it takes so long..."

chispa, yes. We are a home of last resort for some hard-to-home critters. My sorely missed chihuaha who passed away in January had just a few teeth, only one eye (and that eye was blind), and a whole bunch of mammary tumors that made it hard for her to get adopted from the shelter at age 14. But oh, how we loved that dog! She only barked for joy :)

• dedtired
    12 years ago

It's kind of like pregnancy. The process can be miserable but the end result is so worth it!

I had my bathroom remodeled last summer. I had nowhere to escape during construction. I sat in my den and watched tv and the contractor kept walking back and forth in front of the set. I went shopping, went to the library, went to my mother's (had to take showers there!). It was stinking hot and humid so the AC was cranked but half went out the door. This went on for seven weeks. The new bathroom is nice, though.

• natal
    12 years ago

Nothing fun about it, but the flip side is the list of things to do just grows longer and longer and it all begins to feel insurmountable. We finally bit the bullet a few years ago. It was pure hell for over a year. Took a much-needed break for a couple years then back at it. Completed a mini project earlier this year and getting ready to tackle another next month. Still plenty to knock off the list, but at least we're making headway.

And yes, wine becomes your friend. ;)

• User
    12 years ago

I know exactly how you feel, leafy. I have had workmen here on and off, mostly on, since May 1. The other day when I was at the paint store (15th trip in a week) the paint mixer asked how everything was going. I told her that if I turned up dead in suspicious circumstances, she was to call the police immediately and give them the name and phone number of the painter!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Maybe I should take the money I am not going to spend having this guy put in new countertops and use it to hire a psychiatrist who can figure out why I live with this dog?

hee, hee... at least you still have a sense of humor.

I have been unbelievably lucky with my contractors. During the kitchen reno, I worked full time and he was cleaned up and gone each day by the time I returned. For the bathrooms, I didn't work & I guess I kept myself out of the house - I don't remember any issues. For the biggest reno, the total redo of the condo, it was done while we were 800 miles away and it was all handled by phone & email & occasional visits. And, thank goodness, I have absolutely no complaints & wouldn't change any of it. I should send all those contractors another thank you gift now that I'm reminded about how badly it might have been but wasn't thanks to them.

So, keep a stiff upper lip, a drink in your hand, and the hope that the end result will be a worth it and you'll have some amusing cocktail party stories for later. Maybe much, much later but some day it won't be as painful. Hang in there and keep your sense of humor.

• User
    12 years ago

We've been going through it for 5 years now, our master bath alone took over a year to complete. Even with the DIY stuff (which we had a lot) the mess and dust and tools literally everywhere can be depressing. We have a crew coming in on the 20th do work in the kitchen & dining room. More mess.

I just try to look at the bigger picture. Like others have said, the end result is always worth it, always. Besides we're not rich by any stretch of the word so when I would/do get annoyed, I just try to remind myself that at least we're fortunate enough to be able to do what we want done; so many people can't these days.

• leafy02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, all for the words of encouragement. I am on my second Corona of the evening and according to Mr. Remodeler, he'll be done on Monday.

Dedtired--SEVEN weeks for a bathroom? Oh my. I had fantasies about cannibalizing some space from my daughter's room to make the downstairs bath a little larger, but man, that's a commitment!

• teacats
    12 years ago

chickadee2:

Yep. Those sentiments have indeed been floating around here .....

.... and let's not forget the classic:

"How long is this gonna take?"

"TWO WEEKS"

((from the movie "The Money Pit"))

Hahahahahahahahahah.......

.... hysterical weak giggling while pouring another glass of wine ......

• User
    12 years ago

Leafy, You are right, never leave a crew to do their thing, you need to be involved and KNOW everything that's going on. Check with them often and get status.

As far as scheduling goes, to be honest, my ex was in construction and there are so many details to contend with that well, seldom are their schedules ever accurate. Our contractor just quoted us 4 days on our project but I have no doubt he'll be here 6-7, it's just part of the process.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

Leafy--may I recommend a stiff Hendrick's gin and tonic, garnished with cucumber rather than lime? EVER-so-refreshing and calming. Even better after the second one...

(thinking of you!)

• suzie2003
    12 years ago

Leafy,
    I grabbed a second glass of wine just reading your post. I started having flashbacks of a hard wood floor install that was supposed to take 1-2 days and lasted 1 week. The floor is less than 500 sq ft. When the job was done, DH and I celebrated with a bottle of champagne. I felt as if I'd been released from a very noisy prison. You'll be fine. This is the perfect time to experiment with different alcoholic beverages until you find just the right one to dull the senses. Here's a toast to you, a very successful remodel and peace of mind come Monday. (smile)

• leafy02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mjsee, I could marry that drink right now. Cucumber!!

Suzie, thanks for the toast. Im not sure if I'll have peace of mind come Monday---I've noticed today as I moved around the room scrubbing and mopping that the floor in my dining room in the middle of the removed stretch of wall is moving quite a bit when we walk on it--sinking down in the middle. I don't know why this would be since he did no work on that floor, unless he cut through something like the joists or subfloor or??? We'll see what his explanation is....and then, back to the gin!

• hhireno
    12 years ago

Oh suzie2003's post reminds me!

One June, years ago, we had our wood floors refinished. Because of the humidity, it was too tacky for the guy to finish them for days. It didn't bother me but it drove my DH crazy. Every day the flooring guy would show up, crawl across the floor on his hands and knees and then say, no, it's still too tacky for the next coat. The guy even came to the house on a Sunday morning, clearly looking like he rolled out of bed, his hair all sticking up, slapped a tool belt over his cut off sweats, and came to our house to touch the floor.

The floors look great and, to me, it was worth it so when we added hardwood to the kitchen we called the same guy back. He seemed to be the poster child of what can happen if you breath in too many fumes. But we also suspected it might have been more a result of a misspent youth.

• gr8daygw
    12 years ago

I've had my master bath project going on since May 23rd, that terrible day when I eventually ended up being @#*%faced 5 days a week while the "Transformation" people were here working on the bathroom. The only thing truly transformed was me into a daytime parrot head out drinking on the deck- the only place of refuge. Thank God I was able to get back to my tee-total unsweet ice tea self in the nick of time. Good luck and keep the liquor cab locked.

• dedtired
    12 years ago

Yes, seven weeks for a bathroom. There was a lot of demolition -- the old bathroom, plus two closets. He also built a new closet in a bedroom, but that didn't take long.

There was framing and drywalling, a fair amount of new plumbing, a new window, tile, installing all new fixtures, new electric, an exhaust fan through the attic, etc. All this happening in a fairly small space so it's not like a crew of five guys can be in there working at the same time. It doesn't happen over night! I do enjoy my new bathroom, though.

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

We remodeled a couple of years ago and it lasted four months. There's no denying that it's awful. They were there at seven every morning- we lived in our den. We didn't have a dog at the time, though. That would have made it much worse.

It is so worth it though! You can do it! This is hard to believe, but after it was over, I actually missed them a tiny bit!