Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

BeachhouseMBRsuite (v. long, grab drink)

mtnrdredux_gw
9 years ago

We are so happy with this room, we never want to leave it. It needs some touches, mostly artwork (again! but in this case I think I have some things i can use here). I also have to think about WT for the french doors, and I am waiting on crinkled muslin (thanks again AnnieD!) to drape the bed.

My starting point for the room was the Madeline Weinrib rug, and a bed I already had. I posted a lot on choosing nightstands (Anthro) and pendants (Layla Grace), both of which are ultra-girly. I really wanted mirrors over the nightstands (another long post) but the electrician has switches in the way, and I'm ok with that.

The room was created by combining two existing BR with one of the hall baths and part of the hallway, as well as replacing windows w french doors and adding a deck. We also stole 2 feet that had been occupied by closets, (one entered from a 3rd BR and one entered from the center BR; see wavy line to right of bedin new layout).

Most GW'ers were against the changes this required to the facade. After careful consideration we went ahead and it was totally, totally, the right thing to do. The deck off of our MBR is a MUST for the light, and views, sound and scent of the ocean. It totally makes the room. I am fine with the resulting facade (which btw is natural cedar and will age to grey). Pal had a great suggestion with round windows flanking the deck doors, which we may do. I also thank Pal for encouraging me to go ahead with the facade changes for the overwhelming functional benefits.

I chose an unconventional layout to minimize disruption and cost, and give us a lot of bathroom/dressing room space, plus a private w/c and w/d. I used a vintage tub, and 3 vintage sinks. Very happy with the layout, which many nixed for the long long long trip to the W/C. We are happy with it.

(disclaimer; ipad photos; can't find my camera)

BEFORE layout; no real MBR, both baths were hall baths (one tiny and decrepit), no outdoor space.

{{gwi:1811953}}

Exterior before:
{{gwi:1811954}}

Exterior after (will age to grey), need to take one from the same perspective:
{{gwi:1811955}}

Layout after (MBR suite only)

"MBR" before

MBR moodboard:

MBR after:
{{gwi:1811959}}

{{gwi:1811960}}

{{gwi:1811961}}

MBR "vestibule"... the entry to the MBR is via what was a hall closet. I put shelves in there, and I really like the detail. To be styled.

MBA moodboard:
{{gwi:1811964}}

After MBA, two rooms (one with shower and toilet and folding RR sink, see last photo)
{{gwi:1811965}}

{{gwi:1811966}}

"MBA" before (excuse mess):
{{gwi:1566354}}

After:
{{gwi:1811969}}

This post was edited by mtnrdredux on Wed, Sep 3, 14 at 21:41

Comments (59)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Errant,
    Awwwww, thank you. Sure, go ahead!

Jterri,
    Just yesterday I threw out the sample, but I was able to find it from the invoice. It is a top down/bottom up. I do have to say that, across that expanse, they are quite heavy to maneuver.

Here is the info:
    Horizons Natural Woven roman shades, in "Essential Malibu", with top/down, bottom/up option. Std string operation. 2 shades total installed in master bath and shower rooms, $2150.
    (the shower room also has double windows, not shown).

Nannuy2a, Thank you! When we are in the room I can't believe we almost did not put on a deck to avoid the house looking "remuddled". It may no longer be textbook perfect, but we sure enjoy it.

VaSue, Floors are original to 1904 house. They had to be refinished because we took the wall out for the french doors between the bedroom and bathing area, as well as the closets to the right of the bed. Much of the rest of the house's flooring had been redone, so we stuck with the color. It's out, so hopefully it will be in again soon. Plus i like the tone with the aqua. No special finish in the BA, just tung oil. In our primary home I also have a free standing tub in a wood floor in my MBA. It's fine so far (about 3.5 yrs). The shower room portion of the MBA has a limestone floor.

LynninNM, Thank you. I miss it already!

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

It does not look remuddeled (love that!) in the least. Having a deck out there is absolutely perfect. The breeze that comes in from those doors must be amazing :)

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Where do I start?! I'll just say, I love your primary home but between it and the Maine house - no contest - the Maine house is my siren song!

I keep going back and forth between the 2 exterior shots..... in the before shot, the lower sash on most of the windows appears dark, I'm assuming screens - yes? Do you manage without them or have they been redone and are just less noticeable now? Am I seeing things or did you switch over to casements with grids on only part of the window? That the decorating and material choices are gorgeous goes without saying - I'm concentrating on the remodeling choices because keeping an old house looking old but updating it is an art.

• theclose
    9 years ago

Really, mtn. Just gorgeous. Enjoy every minute of the briny breeze off that deck!!

I think one of my fave parts is the vestibule! What a great use of space and a lovely entrance into your sanctuary.

Were the twin beds in there left by PO? Did you reuse? I love them.

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Wow, just stunning. I know where I would be every morning with my coffee in hand.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

It looks wonderful, and I'm sure it smells and sounds just as great. I'm always so impressed with how you manage to bring your mood boards to reality with such excellent results. Well done!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Oh, yum! Serenity to the max! Makes me want to grab a drink and go to the deck (which I was always for, btw) and just feel and smell the ocean breezes. You can 'feel' it in your photos. No wonder you don't want to leave.

• User
    9 years ago

Love this area, mtnrd! It is the perfect example of minimalist luxury, you don't have anything that isn't necessary or used, and what you have is all top shelf. I even like the bathroom having been privately appalled at the RR sink's size and general utilitarian appearance when you first introduced it :-) And the glass subway tile is just yummy!

The deck is just what you needed to make that room a true retreat, and just look at that colorful rug on it---you are really stepping out, lol. This is a breakthrough house for you and color!

• patricianat
    9 years ago

At a loss for words to describe how beautiful and airy, how beachy and luscious but I tried. Still.....

• cat_ky
    9 years ago

Love it, you did a wonderful job.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Rob333, MCClark, LovestoWalk,Eandhl, Cat_ky, Patricia, Outside, AnnieD, texanJana, Thank you! I know my choices are not always mainstream so it's always nice to get a thumbs up!

DLM, The before is not my photo, so I bet it was even before the PO put in the new windows. They are casements with grids to enhance airflow (we put in A/c on the sleeping floors, there was none before )

Mamorella,
    Thanks for the nod on my shelving in the "world's smallest vestibule". No one here liked the idea, but I think something about it feels original. People wanted art work (oh no) and lighting. Too modern IMHO.
    I love the beds, I agree. But the house had three sets of twins. We kept one set. These went to Restore.

KSWL,
    Thank you. Yes, I can imagine the RR sink ain't your thing!
    I loved the glass subway when I saw it on Houzz. A few interesting things about it. One, I requested color variation in the lot to make it look less new. Two, instead of the running bond being 50/50, it's stepped. A little twist I liked.
    The rug (just ordered a larger one) is made from old lobster nets, made in Maine. The material has been made obsolete due to regulations designed to protect wildlife

Here is a link that might be useful: Cool doormats

• Jules
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I love the deck and the pretty tub and all the pretty turquoise! What a serene retreat.

It's a spectacular home.

• Snbtwins
    9 years ago

Very charming, love the deck!

• User
    9 years ago

Very cool doormats!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

The smile on my face, as I read your post.... HUGE! Thank you so much for sharing these after pictures. This house has such character and I've enjoyed (am enjoying) your remodel ever so much. When you mentioned the Madeline Weinrib, I thought pink, but recognized it all the same. The front of the house has changed, not drastically, but very much for the better. Kudos to the architect(s) for knowing how to so improve your living space.

Another huge smile thinking of your view as you wake up and go to sleep:) Congratulations!

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Lovely!

• Bethpen
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing with us. It look just great. I really love the "feel" of the room. I'm so impressed with the detail and thought you've put into everything.

Every year we spend time at a "captain's" house on Martha's Vineyard. Every year I imagine what I'd do if I were to miraculously own it. You've upped the game!

• peegee
    9 years ago

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

Beautiful! Love the deck, the little RR sink(what a find...so unique!) ...really everything!

What is the addition above the deck? ...I don't remember that detail.

Wishing you many happy years and memories by the sea in that gorgeous old home!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Well done! I'm sorry you didn't get your mirrors on either side of the bed, but it is lovely just the same.

• anitamo
    9 years ago

It's perfection! Thank you for taking us along on this journey and being so generous with your time and photos. The deck will become your private retreat when you have a house full, a place to get away for a bit. You are a perfect example of making a plan and seeing it through to the smallest detail. Enjoy!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BBstx, Isn't there always SOMETHING that sticks in your craw at the end of a project? : ( I'm telling myself it was too Kardashian anyway.

Joanie, Thank you! That is a dormer that enabled us to put in two new bathrooms on the third floor, and a girls bunk room. I will post that as soon as I get the photos together. I love love love it, as do my girls and their friends. It was so much fun.

Bethpen, Thanks. I do that all the time, too! Its addictive, no?

Thanks SnB twins, PeeGee and Nuts!

Oldbat, LOL that's so cute. Our closing attorney only gave us Prosecco, and a small bottle at that. You do it in style!

Juju, As you can see, from fridge to tub, I am clearly in my turquoise phase! Let's hope I still like it when it goes out of style, like yesterday morning.

• isabel98
    9 years ago

what is the fabric for the floral pillows on your bed? very fresh. love it.

• sochi
    9 years ago

Love it, great job. The balcony/deck looks amazing. Where did you get the hamper baskets?

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Isabel.

Made from a fragment of a Jim Thomson dragon print. Bought on line from Etsy.

Here is a link that might be useful: FYI pillow source

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Sochi. The two striped ones in the bath? Home Goods
    The big chest from a local garden shop.

• bananafana
    9 years ago

It's so good! I can't believe how quickly it came together! And it looks so original. Love it.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Love it all! Where did you find the fold-up RR sink? Works so well for a narrow space like that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Anitamo and Banana!

Gscience, thanks! I bought the RR sink, the two wall hung sinks, the tub, three medicine cabinets and the french doors between the sleeping and bathing areas, all at the same place, in the link below. I've bought from them before for my CT house. They are a good source.

Here is a link that might be useful: this guy's shop has tons of cool salvage

• amykath
    9 years ago

WOW! What a stunner! Your house is divine. You have done a fantastic job with it. I have my overnight bag packed. Just send me the address. ; )

Amy

• isabel98
    9 years ago

thanks so much; funny, I have looked at those before.

very special place you have created. enjoy

• sable_ca
    9 years ago

What more to add? Light, airy, pretty, beautiful choice of colors.

Besides the deck, my favorite things are the flounces on the sinks (just the perfect touch of girly), the turquoise tile, and the RR sink, exactly like those used in the roomettes on certain Amtrak sleepers.

Were you at one time considering a floor tile that had little pink flowers on it? I was looking forward to seeing that!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aktillery, Thank you! I think it'd be a very long drive!

Thanks, Isabel. Maybe you were meant to use them somewhere? BTW to me the background color is minty.

Sable, Thanks! Yes, I did select a tile with little red roses .... it is in the 2nd floor hall bath. I will post on it soon ... so many photos to go thru!

One q for everyone. I didn't show this vantage point because it is so dull. The french doors to the deck need W/T, for decor not room darkening. Question --- should I just copy the sink skirts? Also, would you put anything on the second set of french doors, the ones to the BA/dressing rm?

• bbstx
    9 years ago

What about plain white unlined linen curtains on the doors to the deck? The opacity of the curtains can be determined by the weight of the linen.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I never get here until all the best superlatives have been used up, darn it!

It's all so pretty and serene and I love every inch of it -- especially the parts that were not going to work, not no way, not no how.

I don't think I'd put anything on either set of doors. Sure, at night it looks like a plain wall with a black box but some low level lighting on the balcony would fix that. And, in the daylight -- what a view!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BBSTX,
    I don't care about opacity, I just think it is too blah on that wall. (the sun actually hits us on more of a diagonal and that is solved with the bamboo blinds in the adjoining room.)

Edeevee, Thank you. You are too funny. I like to mention the parts that were controversial, to encourage others to think through advice and be comfortable making a non-consensus decision. Sometimes it may work for you (sometimes not!).
    I do have lights on the balcony (we got them custom made when we were in New Orleans!) but they were not on in the photo. I definitely would not place any WT in such a way as to usurp even a tiny fraction of the view! In the morning, we watch the lobster men pull up their traps!

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Quadrille-AlanCampbell-China Seas "Bali"

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh no .... not more quadrille! cha ching

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

Although Tree People would be nice with the other fabrics:

• crl_
    9 years ago

Lovely! And best of all, you love it!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pal, Tree people has great colors. Whose is it>

CRL - thnk you!

• eandhl
    9 years ago

Giving more thought to your MB I realIze you are missing one thing. The bell to ring for service! I wouldn't want to leave the room & deck. :)

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It's Tree Peony, and it's Quadrille/China Seas something.

Sorry, budget.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

You set the bar with the Jim Thompson :-) and there are not a lot of fabrics with that color combo, intensity.

You could go with something plainer, but as of right now you can see that elevation is a weak spot color wise.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

duplicate post

This post was edited by palimpsest on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 15:26

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Pal, "Tree People". I did think it was a bit odd!

LOL! Eandhl, we do have a dinner bell in CT, comes in handy when kids are out in the yard or on the pond. But it is more cowboy than lady-in-waiting.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pal, did you spend your summer vacation honing your Photoshop skills? IIRC you never used to Photoshop and now you are a demon : ) !

Yes, the wall is weak, but only in the dark with the doors closed.

As for $300/yd fabric choices, I'm feeling pretty jaded. Just had this discussion with DH about a 300ish area rug from PB in the LR, vs a 3k custom bound one. The latter won't make me 10x happier. It won't even make me 5x happier. So it's just bad math to buy it!

Same with fabric. Didn't someone on here have a 200/yd limit. It's a good idea to have a limit; there are sooooo many fabrics out there.

What if I amp up that elevation with WT to match the sink skirts AND artwork?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I think you could probably do something plain and put a little trim on it and get the same effect.

The issue is that your palette isn't very mass market right now and finding a pattern that has aqua and pink in it that isn't also nauseating on some level is difficult.

So matching the sink skirts is a great option: I wonder how that would look with hot pink trim on it?

I discovered that my computer has "Paint" on it that that's what I've been using.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Either of these might be fun to consider:

This is Robert Allen, $8.95/yd from FabricGuru.com.

Or, if you want to get a little more spendy, Thibaut's South Seas

• User
    9 years ago

Love the idea of curtains in the sink skirt fabric with pink trim.....or white filmy curtains with a pink or turquoise ball fringe. That stuff is so 50s looking, I am dying to put it somewhere in my house but it looks best in fun colors.