Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurience

I now need some guidance on great room (pics)

laurience
15 years ago

I still have lots to do in this room. I need an area rug, change cushions, shelves for each side of my fireplace etc..

I am mainly wondering about the layout and what you think? This is what I had before

A pic taken off the kitchen

{{!gwi}}

I switched it to this

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

These pics were taken before I did my housecleaning (lol) I have also moved the chaise a bit more in the living room but same layout. What do you think. I know it blocks the kitchen a bit but before it blocked the living room

Don't mind the boxes, we were changing pvr's. I need to hide those wires beside the fireplace. Any temporary cheap solutions until I put shelves? That little table is embarrassing.

Also, what should I do with the decorative windows on each side of the fireplace? I will accent these room with reds to match my kitchen. The winow behind the sofa is a bow window.

Thank you

Comments (15)

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

I like the new arrangement better. It looks like the chase is up against the pole. You say you moved it. So the arms are touching the sofa now? The would give room to walk out of the kitchen. Maybe add a little table between them?

I thought you had decided on getting some colored glass pieces? I don't think the windows need much. Is glare a problem?

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dilly,

How are you?

I moved the chaise up and to the left a bit so your able to walk through in between the sofa and chaise.

I remember thinking about glass pieces. I just thought it would be a nice way to add some color. Glare can be a problem in the morning but it wouldn't be the reason for addding something there.

Joanne

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is how I pushed the chaise.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mpmg46
    15 years ago

What a beautiful room! I could lay on your chaise and read a good book all day long!!

Re: windows. What about a lead glass treatment? I know several people who have done it themselves with great success. Or maybe if you found two stained glass pieces to hang over the windows if you are looking for something.

Just a thought, and ignore it if it doesn't make sense, but have you tried switching the chaise and the sofa from where they both are now? So that the chaise would be in front of the window and the sofa would be backing up the the kitchen? If you have enough room (it looks like you do), you could put the table over in the far corner behind the sofa then perhaps. My reasoning for this layout was b/c then more people can watch tv/fireplace with the couch straight on. My tv/couch are the same as yours are now, and it's frustrating to watch tv. You have to sit/look sideways. But our room isn't large enough for that configuration, so maybe I'm just trying to live vicariously through rooms that are larger than my living room! LOL

As for a cheap fix to the wires, I'd say to leave it as is, since you soon plan to fix it anyhow. Other than a cabinet with doors, you'd still see wires. Don't be embarrassed by that little part of the room. Overall, it's a gorgeous room, which is what everyone will focus their attention on!

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mpmg,

Thanks for your feedback and compliment. I cannot swith the chaise because the the top part of the chaise (where you lay your head) would be right beside the t.v.

Joanne

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

I was just about to suggest what mpmg said about swapping the chase and sofa and then putting the console table in back of the sofa. It will make for a more finished look from the kitchen in addition to the advantage of the better TV viewing angle. Then I could just imagine reclining on the chaise under the window. Then I'd like to see a tall component/media cabient angled in the left corner to house all of your components. Perhaps you could purchase just the left pier of some of the entertainment centers on the market today. Any option to side the wiring over a tad to the left or is it fixed in that location.

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I would of liked to try switching it however I can't because of where the head of the chaise is located. The wiring cannot be moved however hubby will have to organize his wires. thank you

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Well since the chaise-swap idea has been discussed to death (I'm always late to the party, lol), here's what I would do with the windows: replace the trim with something more decorative, since the style of your house can handle that, and do a leaded glass insert. You might find some small antique leaded glass windows on ebay, or you could do a gallery glass treatment (Oceana has done several, check over on the gallery side for pics).

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Well, I like it and totally understand why the chaise is where it is. Too, I like the way the curve in the back compliments the curve on the bar at the kitchen entrance.

The throw looks a little on the pink side, but that just may be the flash. I think the next step is an area rug to tie it all in. Will you get a matching runner to go between the chaise and the bar? An then throw pillows...

• graywings123
    15 years ago

Pretty room, lots of potential. I like the new location of the chaise. I would be dying to get up on a ladder and add color to the tray ceiling.

Do you have a foyer where the mirror and table could be placed? Neither has a purpose in the current location. And moving them elsewhere would spread that distinctive carved furniture around the house. Five matching pieces is a lot for one room.

In their place you could put a chair and a floor lamp and a cabinet to house the TV components.

Have you given thought to an end table and table lamp?

I would think about adding a third and fourth color to the brown and beige in the room. An area rug maybe?

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sarschlos,

I have never seen decorative trim??????

Greenthumb,

Yes, I will buy an area rug soon. I don't know if there would be enough room behind the chaise for a runner. Need some pillows however I will wait a little for that.

Graywings,

What would you do with the ceiling? I don't like my table and mirror in the new house either. The only other place could be the dining room however I have no idea how I am decorating the dining room yet soo?? I might eventually have to sell that piece. I could also put it in the upstairs hallway but that might look funny.

I like the chair and lamp idea. thank you everybody..

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sarschlos,

I have never seen decorative trim??????

Greenthumb,

Yes, I will buy an area rug soon. I don't know if there would be enough room behind the chaise for a runner. Need some pillows however I will wait a little for that.

Graywings,

What would you do with the ceiling? I don't like my table and mirror in the new house either. The only other place could be the dining room however I have no idea how I am decorating the dining room yet soo?? I might eventually have to sell that piece. I could also put it in the upstairs hallway but that might look funny.

I like the chair and lamp idea. thank you everybody..

• jockewing
    15 years ago

Paint the walls a pale brown or champagne color, add a big plush off-white rug, some white matted art with black frames, and a couple of zebra or other animal print pillows for just a touch of color and whimsy.

• jockewing
    15 years ago

Forgot to say a either a big tropical plant like a big-leaved philodendron, a coffee plant, or fiddle-leaved fig in a beautiful porcelain planter or basket, OR a big vase filled with 5 or 7 really tall pieces of dark-stained thick bamboo stems in one of the corners.

Also, don't really think the window treatment works-I think a more tailored look would be better.

This room has the potential to be so elegant, if it were a flower, it would be a calla lily.

• laurience
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you jock for all of your suggestions

Joanne