Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
abundantblessings

Possible CL scam

abundantblessings
15 years ago

This may be old news to most, but I hadn't come across this particular scam before. I'm putting it out there to help other unsuspecting buyers.

Saw an item on CL I wanted and e-mailed the seller. This is the response:

"The item is located in Schenectady, NY. This unit is brand new and it is guaranteed with a two years warranty and I ensure you that you will be extremely satisfied with your purchase!

I work for Shell International E&P and I begin ed a 2 year job assignment in London, United Kingdom so I will handle the transaction from here. The price is only -- including shipping costs and insurance charges.

I\'ve listed the unit on craigslist and e bay. I want this transaction to be done through e bay for our own protection. In this way both of us will start the deal with good faith so we can take it to a smooth end.

If you are interested please email me the following details in order to start the process:

your e bay user name

any negative feedback if so...for what reason

your full name and your home address for the shipping; also your phone # or your cell #

Waiting to hear from you."

I informed him I would purchase through e-bay using paypal. Of course, it can't be found on e-bay. When I let him know it wasn't on e-bay, he politely asked me to send him all the requested info so he could begin the process on his end.

Ha!

Comments (14)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Yikes, that certainly does reek of scam! Seems like there are a number of these things out there where somebody claims they want to transact business from the UK. That's just weird!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

So how does this scam work???

• abundantblessings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't know, but that too much personal info to be given out to an unknown. I suspect they may have figured out how to use the info either for identity theft or to purchase things from ebay using my account.

• jakabedy
    15 years ago

I'm not sure how it works, either. But like abundant said, I think it must be some way to get access to the buyer's ebay account.

I think the fact that it is not on ebay currently, and that the seller didn't address that in his second response is pretty telling. I would either quit communicating, or simply tell the seller to send you a link to the ebay listing when he has it listed, so you can bid on it. Tell him/her to list it with a "buy it now" at the agreed price, and you will go right in and buy it. My guess is you won't hear from him/her.

I'm always suspicious of those "brand new" items on CL, anyway.

• wooderlander
    15 years ago

If I were you, I would do no further correspondence with this person.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Someone once set up an account on ebay using DH's user name and other info as a way to sell an expensive item.
    He can't remember the details at the moment but ebay contacted him about the problem. We never found out how the guy managed to set up an account that had DH's feedback, which had a rating of 100%.

• TxMarti
    15 years ago

You didn't give him any of the info requested did you?

I think I would keep an eye on your ID and any auctions within 25 miles of you, plus go in & change your passwords.

Did you click on any links in the email or reply to his email? That's the only way I can think of that would give him access to your passwords.

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I think it's best to keep it cash only in person on CL. No shipping. And you were wise to smell a rat! The mantra on CL is cash only in person so if any one suggests otherwise I would just fold up my browser and go.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Wow, that's a new one. Thanks for sharing. It always amazes me the ingenuity of some people to be deceitful. You'd think since they have the brains, they could put it to some legitimate use.

• abundantblessings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

marti8a, I did reply to the 1st one to say it wasn't on ebay. After that I figured it was a scam, stopped communicating and put the alert here to warn others.

Now what? How worried should I be since I responded?

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

I dont think you should be worried. He was after your ebay information and if you didnt give it I think you are fine. maybe think of it as getting a scam email that wants your password and you open it but dont give the information. dont worry.

• abundantblessings
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, cooperbailey, that's a relief. I'm usually quite careful so this was a first for me. I used an anonymous email to communicate so I can easily delete it. I hope others will be on guard and protect their info because the unwary can easily fall prey to scams.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

It IS a scam! There are tons of scammers claiming to be in the military abroad, doing missionary work, etc. SCAM SCAM SCAM! Run away!

The item doesn't exist. You send money. Item never shows up. Seller can't be found.

• justgotabme
    15 years ago

I'd report it to CL. Glad you didn't get caught in the scam.