Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Help me choose a bookcase for my family room!

Valerie Noronha
15 years ago

I am planning to consolidate two bookcases in my family room into a single larger one that will be centered under the right transom window. I really like the ones with the glass doors and a bottom drawer would be a plus. Right now there is a mish-mash of woods in this room, but what I can assure you is the oak stuff is on it's way out! Family room is open to the kitchen which was remodeled two years ago in medium cherry stain. We were able to do a pretty close match on stain with our kitchen table and ent. console and are currently looking into adding a hutch top to the console. Here is the area where I'm planning to put the bookcase. The purple sticky pad show the size I am considering (58"H x 42"W). Though I think I could go as large as 60"H x 48"W depening on the bookcase.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a view out into the rest of the room so you can see the other wood furniture:

{{!gwi}}

For the bookcase I am wondering if we should try to stick with the same wood/stain look or something different--like either black or distressed black.

Here are a few that I am considering (though I am very much open to suggestions at this point).

Hampton Bay (looks a tad darker):

{{!gwi}}

Oxford Black:

{{!gwi}}

Salem Black:

{{!gwi}}

Salem Cherry:

{{!gwi}}

Chesire Black:

{{!gwi}}

Please let me know if I'm on the right track in terms of the style/size and please vote either black or cherry and glass or no glass.

The other (more expensive option) is to pick one of these as an inspiration picture and have the company that is making my hutch make the bookcase for an exact match. That would have gthe obvious advantage of getting all the features I want in the style/wood/stain/size that I want, but if I can find something out there for less that fits the bill just as well that would be preferable.

Comments (11)

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

My preference would be for the black, mainly because I like to see a mixture of woods/stain/color finishes and not have everything match. I think you'd find that with glass doors, you'd have less dusting and the books would stay cleaner! We have two full size bookcases on each side of our fireplace, with open shelving, and it's amazing how easily the tops of those books pick up dust! My favorites would be the Oxford or the Cheshire.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Couple of things with these barrister bookcases: if you (like me) have large books (textbooks, art books, dictionaries, encyclopedias, etc.), you will need to make sure that the barrister bookcases are deep enough. I found that several were too narrow for my larger albums and collections.

Glass doors are really elegant and keep the dust off the books (important for my allergic family), but they do tend to discourage casual browsing (also good to keep little sticky fingers off your nicer books, but a bummer for adult readers who become reluctant to pick something off the shelf). My guess is that anythign in a glass case becomes "collectible" instead of for everyday use and enjoyment in the eyes of those who are browsing.

I prefer the Hampton Bay bookcase, but that's probably because it resembles my favorite furniture piece in my house. :)

Make sure you check on ebay in the antique and used furniture section. Last time i looked, I saw many wonderful pieces that would work great as bookcases -- particularly some old curio and china cabinets. You might find something really spectacular there and get a great price. After I had already purchased my bed and the barrister bookcase from EA, I won on ebay a 1940s demi-lune Drexel dresser (mint), an 1880s French marble top side table with drawer and door (near mint), a gentleman's armoire, and a small buffet for super cheap -- all gorgeous pieces and I didn't pay more than $250 for any of them.

(English Gentleman's armoire, reproduction circa 1950)

French marble top side table, circa 1880s and 1940s Drexel demi-lune dresser (used as bedside tables -- ignore the lamps; they're in a "transition" stage)

(small buffet)

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

My choice would be the Hampton Bay. It's gorgeous and, since you're not putting it on a wall next to your kitchen cabs, the difference will be fine. What a gorgeous piece. I remember seeing your kitchen after you finished it. Very nice!
    Lynn

• trinityklm
    15 years ago

Does this help?

I vote for the cherry one with the drawer at the bottom. I like how significant it looks, it's also warmer and will be less dusty looking.

Let me know if you want to see the others in the room, too.

• funkyart
    15 years ago

I like the cherry one too.. the hampden bay. I love that it has doors and it looks just fine standing alone.

• Valerie Noronha
    Original Author
    15 years ago

saraschlos: Good point about the depth. I'll check on that and measure my albums. It's amazing you had such success with furniture on eBay. My one experience was a disaster and most items I liked, the shipping quotes were prohibitive. You picked some lovely items, though. I do love that armoire plus that inlay buffet. So, do tell about the foot picture over the bed. Such a delightful touch of whimsy!

trinityklm: Thank you for the next PS. Yes, that does help.

The Hampton Bay is my favorite also. I really like the bottom drawer for games and puzzles. I'm going to see if I can order a wood sample from them. I would love to see if I could find this style in black. I'll look around some more on the internet and a few furniture stores, but at least I have a clearer idea what to look for.

• cliff_and_joann
    15 years ago

First one, Hampton Bay is my choice.

Joann

• User
    15 years ago

I like the second one. Really nice piece, it looks perfect there!

• laurience
    15 years ago

1st one is beautiful although I would prefer it in a black to add some contrast.

• PRO
    acdesignsky
    15 years ago

Looking at your first pic, I really think you need a much *wider* bookcase. The ones you've chosen are nice, but they're going to be lost on that expanse of wall. I'd think at least 60" wide, wider would be better, IMO. The barrister type with sliding glass doors would be great.

• robynpa
    15 years ago

I too have seen lots of nice pieces on Craigslist lately that would make great bookcases. The more I see how people have incorporated old pieces into their decor on this forum that more I love Craigslist. CL can be a PITA but there are some really great things to be found.

I have a barrister bookcase and you do need to be careful that your books are not too large or the doors will not close.

All that being said, I like the black bookcase the best.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County