Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice5_gw

Rayon as upholstery fabric

Janice5
10 years ago

I found a fabric that would look great on my round back caned cocktail chair seats.
My hesitation is the fabric content. It's 68 percent rayon, 32 percent polyester.
I've always been under the impression you should stay away from rayon for upholstery.
Although these chairs won't get heavy use, I do have small grandchildren so they surely will see some action.
Is it foolish to consider this fabric blend?

Comments (16)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I'd be nervous about the rayon...the polyester will keep the fabric together, but the rayon may pill out with wear.

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

I had a Smith Brothers sofa and love seat in a beautiful 100% rayon fabric that I custom ordered in '85 or '86 and it wore like iron. The only negative was that you COULD NOT clean with water - I had it professionally cleaned once. I did, however, spot clean, but the fabric wanted to "mat". I kept the fabric for about 12 years and had it reupholstered in some type of blend. I have always regretted that I changed the fabric (I thought it was dirty - in reality it probably wasn't).

The fabric was velvet type rayon, tan with an "old rose" type flower with silver gray leaves (that was back in my floral days with mauve and gray colors) and it was the best fabric I have ever owned. I still swoon when I look back at old pictures of that set - I ended up using the sofa and love seat for over 20 years total including the new reupholstery job.

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I have a rayon blend fabric on my 18 year old Thomasville sectional and it's still perfect. I honestly can't recall the rest of the fabric content, but it's a light neutral color, darker than cream, lighter than tan with the rayon threads running through it. I wish I knew the weaving terms to use correctly, but all the threads running side to side are the light neutral, non-rayon thread and the threads running the other direction are every other one a different color rayon with the neutral thread between each. There are probably 5 or 6 different colored rayon threads, from teal to burgundy, blue and pale yellow. The rayon has a bit of a sheen, but the colors and sheen can only be seen close up, so it just adds a richness and depth to the overall look of the fabric. I saw it and had to have it. I'd never hesitate to buy a rayon blend again.

• daisychain01
    10 years ago

The thing with rayon is that when it is wet, it can shred very easily. The rayons of today are usually very strong unless wet. Something to do with the fact that they are made from wood pulp and the length of the fibres.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I'm hoping it's good because I just re-upholstered all my furniture with Rayon blends!

I did a sofa, love seat & office chair with Jumper fabric which is 82% Rayon, 16% Polyester, 2% Nylon. I received info from a fabric salesperson that Jumper can withstand 50,000 surface abrasions (double rubs) weight is 1.31 lb per yard.

The fabric I used for my LR sofa is 44% Cotton, 37% Rayon, 18% Polyester, 1% Nylon. It's Rayon content is not as high as Jumper. I've been told this one is 30,000 double rubs.

For the LR chairs, I'm using Robert Allen Ashburnham which is 66% Rayon, 34% Polyester. This fabric rates 50,000 double rubs.

So, hopefully a Rayon blend is durable. I'll find out as the years go by.

• Janice5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you to each of you for your thoughtful and detailed replies.
    I don't know the answers to many of your queries.
    How do I find out about the weight and the weave?
    The fabric is from Barrow, called Eastham, color Dune.

• Laurie
    10 years ago

I emailed My Fabric Connection about your specific fabric and they gave me a range. "Most Barrow fabrics average 12-15K rubs."
    Many fabric companies will have the abrasion factor posted.
    I could not see it on Barrow's site and they have a "contact us" form but you have to be a seller or decorator. So, that's why I contacted a seller (My Fabric Connection).

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Wearability Code

• Vivi
    8 years ago

@Laurie,

Hi Laurie. Please excuse me writing to you about this 2 1/2 yr old thread (concerning rayon) but you mentioned back in Sept. 2013 that you were reupholstering your furniture using a fabric called Jumper that I am currently considering for a large sectional for my family room.

I was so amazed to actually find someone who mentions using the EXACT fabric I am considering. I am having a really hard time researching it and it's fabric components to decide if it's a good fabric choice.

Here is what you posted:

"I'm hoping it's good because I just re-upholstered all my furniture with Rayon blends!

I did a sofa, love seat & office chair with Jumper fabric which is 82% Rayon, 16% Polyester, 2% Nylon. I received info from a fabric salesperson that Jumper can withstand 50,000 surface abrasions (double rubs) weight is 1.31 lb per yard."

I would REALLY appreciate your input on how this fabric has held up for you so far (you've had the pieces in this fabric about 2 years now right?). I'm concerned about it pilling, staining, wrinkling, loose threads and stretching. Could you please tell me how your sofa, loveseat and office chair fabric is looking? Any regrets? Do you recommend this fabric for a heavy use sectional -no eating or pets but for sure LOTS of sitting to watch tv nightly or movies, occasional nap mid movie ;), working on bills, etc. . I don't have 2 living areas so this area is also used for entertaining. I need a fabric that always looks good with no wrinkles or pill or stretched out fabric.

I'd love to see a picture too (I hate to ask but all I have is a tiny sample and would LOOOve to see it on a piece of furniture) if you can.... thanks so much in advance for your kind help!

I am one confused furniture shopper right now and your insights are sure to enlighten me. thanks!!

Vivi

• cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What a coincidence. I went to Calico (formerly Calico Corner) today and checked out a sample of Jumper. The saleslady told me that she has Jumper on her sofa (with Teflon) and that when she reupholsters that piece she will use Jumper again, now with Crypton. Crypton is the latest and greatest in stain protection. Crypton is in the fiber, not applied to the fabric after it's woven. There are 143 colors available in Jumper, that's amazing. If you google Jumper fabric, you'll see the choices offered online. I tried to link one, but it didn't work for some inexplicable reason.

Vivi, what color are you looking at for your project? We are a large family and 45,000 double rubs should look good for 8-10 years. I'm thinking of one of the lighter shades, like Jumper Pearl, it's a creamy light beige. I'm reupholstering two 72" loveseats. I'm also interested in Sunbrella fabrics, in particular, Posh Salt. Like Jumper, Sunbrella is a high performance line though a little pricier. Sunbrella makes home fabrics. Who knew?

• cupofkindnessgw
    8 years ago

Vivi, check out this thread, about 2/3s of the way down, there is an adorable dog on a Jumper sofa arm:

Who Lives in a White Sofa World?

• Neoman
    8 years ago

Historically, high content rayon (60% or higher) sometimes came apart especially around the welt line. The shorter fibers had that tenancy. In the last 5-6 years, I have seen little of it.

Pilling of the fabric is not seen as a deficit by the fabric mills, and I am not sure I would contain that to just Rayon fabrics. I still see the piling situation, but have seen little of the welt line issue.

I still get concerned when the Rayon content is high and if I have a choice, I move the client to a different fabric if possible. But if they love the fabric, we use it.

• maddybeagle
    6 years ago

cupofkindnessgw, I'm coming back to a year-old thread, but I'm curious about what you decided. I happened upon Sunbrella Posh Salt today at Calico (Corners) and then happened upon this thread when I searched the forum to see if anybody had used it. I loved the feel of the fabric, which is something I've never said about a Sunbrella fabric before.

• Bridget J.
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I am also considering using Crypton Jumper fabric for a sectional. It is lovely to the touch. The subtle herringbone texture makes it appear much more expensive than it is (IMO). Crypton performance fabrics wear like iron (so I've been told), but I got nervous when I read the warning from Lee Industries of a possible "mottling effect" with wear. I've read many online reviews which rave about its durability and beauty. Sunbrella is a NO for me. It's just too stiff. Plus I've seen too many reviews of Sunbrella being disappointing in indoor installations over time. It has the look of canvas or duck cloth.... not what I'm going for. I know I love the Jumper fabric. Just nervous before plunking down $4-8k on this sectional. I had preferred leather, but can't justify $15-20k for the sectional. In photos below, the first is Jumper in ZINC. The 2nd is GRAPHITE (closeup).

• Evan Papageorge
    3 years ago

As an upholstery cleaning professional I would shy away from rayons in your high traffic rooms. Especially if you have children or pets.

• Laurie
    9 months ago

It's been 9 years since I used Jumper fabric (82% rayon) and I am still very impressed with it's durability. The Calico Corners fabric (37% rayon) has performed just as well as the Jumper. I started to notice wear on the Robert Allen fabric (66% rayon) after about 3 years.

We don't have pets, but grandchildren are over 4-5 days each week (for the past 9 years). Our upholstered furniture gets lots of use. We don't usually eat or drink anywhere except the kitchen and dining area.

I believe the Calico Corners fabric I used was discontinued. If it was available, I would use it again.

I would not use the same Robert Allen fabric on frequently used furniture.

I would definitely use Jumper (made by Valdese Weavers) fabric again in the future. Classic herringbone, tons of color options, very durable.