Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stellar1_gw

How about an 'Orangy Oak Cabinet' Paint Color Thread?

stellar1
15 years ago

I have seen three or four threads on here lately of different people with "Orangy Oak Cabinets" struggling to find paint colors (me included).

So I thought I would start a thread where we can talk paint colors in one place. Several people told me that green compliments Oak Cabinets well, while others say Gold/Yellow tones may be the way to go. I have still not found anything that "speaks" to me yet.

So how about it? If you have Oak Cabinets (or even light colored cabinets) can you tell us what paint color you choose and show pics if you have them?

Joanna

Comments (21)

• Pieonear
    15 years ago

Does anyone know how SW Blonde looks with orangy oak?

• bigdoglover
    15 years ago

My last house (pre-kitchen-redo) had orangy oak cabinets and orangy oak floors to boot, and I had the walls fauxed (ragged on), which was very big then (is it still??) The color was mostly a rich tan, with some little hints of butterscotch and yummy blue-teal. I had a blue and white porcelain theme going with all that. The furniture was traditional cherry, the upholstery was teal, blue, a touch of pink (it worked) and some greens. It was very cute. Sorry I have no pix.

• redbazel
    15 years ago

This is a 3 year old picture of my kitchen, BEFORE the granite counters, BEFORE the new appliances, BEFORE the tumbled marble backsplash, and BEFORE the new porcelain tile flooring in a gold/brown color. The only thing I had done to this 1982 kitchen after moving in and trying a butter yellow in here, was to put a coat of minwax polyshades on the cabinets to darken them up a bit, (I used a mix of Bombay Mahogany, which leans to red, and Antique Walnut, applied like rubbing on wax with an old t-shirt) and painted the walls in a dull warm red called Vesuvian Garnet by Kilz from Walmart.

Even though painting rooms is my favorite way to change everything around, the one thing I didn't change after doing the mini-renovation of my kitchen in 2006, was the paint color. The red looked good then and it looks good with all my upgrades.

{{!gwi}}

I do need to qualify that if I hadn't been able to knock down that orangey oak color a bit with the stain, I'm not too sure that the red would have worked.

Red

• awm03
    15 years ago

Grays, green-grays, & blue-grays work. Chocolate brown does too.

• Phobie Privett
    15 years ago

I wanted SW Blonde, but it looked terrible in my house. So I went with Believable Buff-a very similar look.
    a href="http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/superchick_album/?action=view&current=IMG_0109.jpg"; target="_blank">

• merrymaryp
    15 years ago

My kitchen is painted SW Grassland

• no_green_thumb
    15 years ago

I too have oak cabinets - although mine are not as orangey as some I have seen. I had the walls a neutral "beigy" color and everything was washed out. Then I painted terra cotta and the walls and cabinets just screamed at each other. My latest color is BM Saybrook Sage and I do love it. I find it amazing how much paint can change a kitchen -when in most of them there is very little wall space. I am already thinking to the next color - I have had this one a year already!! -- but think I will continue to love this one for a good while.
    These are old pictures. I have moved the teapot up by the ivy over the corner cabinet, replaced the lamp with one with a stained glass shade.

The eating area:
    I now have a wire basket for the apples - still need to replace those stupid light bulbs that are hanging out! And the backyard is now completely different with the new patio and grass!!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Mammie, I have Blonde in my kitchen and was looking around the house for something orangish oak to put up next to it. Finally found a small antique coffee grinder with a black wrought iron top that I had on a bookcase.

It look good. One caveat however. When I tried a sample of Blonde on our white drywall, I immediatley ruled it out. It looked this weird color of orange. $200 of paint samples later, I went back to it and painted half of our backsplash Blonde. It looked great as I really needed a bit of the 'orange' as I have a granite with much rust in it.

We had our painter do the whole house in the Cashmere base of Sherwin Williams. I noticed that the formula for the Blonde was different from what they put in the quarts-to-go. I tested both my old sample and some of the new, side by side, on a paint board. They were definitely different. I called the store and they said that because we used a different 'base', the formula was changed. He said "it's a better color".

I advise anyone using a SW tester quart to also buy a quart or gallon in whatever base you will eventually be using. It was a red in the formula that was changed. I really like the Blonde but it has less of the warmer color than the tester had.

My old house had oak and I loved it with gold/yellow paint.

• otis_proamateur
    15 years ago

I've always heard that yellows, golds and beiges work best if you're wanting the cabs to kind of "blend in" and not be as prominent of a focal point in the room. Green is also great as long as it doesn't have any blue undertones. Blue, being opposite of orange on the color wheel, enhances the color of the cabinets making them stand out.

Again, this is just what I've heard.

• skeet
    15 years ago

How about this? I'm one of those people who is addicted to paint. So my house is loosing square footage due to me changing the paint in every room, all the time... I love Porter Paint and have the store near me to match anything I want and they do a marvelous job. So I had a can of Blonde and the RG and gave them away to Habitat. Quess what I was there the other day and my two cans were still there, I bought them back, yea, I'm crazy. My thread on the orangey cabs with RG has dropped down the forum.

I found the Blonde can and put some along side the RG above the cabs. I think.... I like the Blonde better, what do you think?

Karen
    {{!gwi}}

• parma42
    15 years ago

The Blonde.

• neesie
    15 years ago

I had my walls painted a soft grey for the last few years and it went well with pastel colored accents. Then, this spring, I wanted a change and choose a Dutch Boy color: Lettuce, although I like to think of it as an apple green. I like the way it looks with my jadeite dishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lettuce color; or apple green

• johnmari
    15 years ago

I've started a thread in the Gallery on this subject since it comes up with great frequency, and the Gallery moves a lot more slowly than the Discussions page.

Previous house had BM Monroe Bisque with the oak kitchen cabinets - I "inherited" a few cans from a fellow G'webber and lucked out with how well it worked with the cabinets and flooring. There are no accessories because the room was stripped for selling the house. Camera skews toward pinkish so it looked more neutral than in these pictures.

{{gwi:1537463}}
    {{gwi:1537464}}

• tfm1134
    15 years ago

I tried using a yellow with my cabs but they kept turning even more orange so went with a green. I used LA Olive 2 from Lowes and love it! I don't have any pics here at work but will look this weekend and post some. I think it is the perfect green for my cabs

• patty_cakes
    15 years ago

I had a very difficult time choosing a color for my ex, who has the orageny cabs! My first thought was to use something opposite on the color wheel, although I was attracted to the golds/terracottas/rusty-reds. Every time I held up a sample, I would see even *more* of the orange. I ended up using what I think is a true sage green~SW Koi Pond.

I've used copper accents and brightly colored pottery, that include the colors green, bright blue, gold, and terracotta. What a difference in what was once a totally white kitchen!

• User
    15 years ago

We're yellow lovers and used the Ralph Lauren yellow that's a color match to SW Jonquil called Gold Finch. It's not a bright blinding yellow or a dingy gold, just like Riff3 says, it's a very warm tone that works well with our cabinets and I love the way it reflects the light when the sun is shining!

• scoutfinch72
    15 years ago

I just wanted to bump this up to see if anyone else would post their pics of kitchens with orangey oak cabs. We have 1985 era oak cabs in our kitchen and while they aren't my favorite style, they are in really good condition and replacing them is not in the budget. I started out painting the kitchen Valspar Filoli Honey (which is close to RH Butter), but I really just don't love yellow in this room. It's a nice buttery yellow, but it just doesn't seem to work in this room, which doesn't get a ton of natural light because of the patio cover on the back of the house. I'm now leaning toward BM Saybrook Sage or BM Prescott Green.

• wysports_ptd_net
    13 years ago

I am looking to paint my kitchen but I need help/idea's on paint color. My cupboards are honey oak with frosted glass doors, floor also has a honey oak look and my counter tops are dark blue. Any help would be appreciated..
    Thanks,
    Lisa

• KellyLaceRealtor_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

omg! You guys do not know how relieved I am to have found this thread! Have spent months in frustration because I do NOT want to paint and repaint...kitchen run into dining into living so LOTS of wall space. Am leaning toward Believable beige or grassland. thanks, y'all!!!

• aminer_prairiepride_org
    12 years ago

My kitchen is currently seven different shades of yellow and I am still trying to find that perfect shade. However, in my quest to find a shade to go with oak cabinets I did paint my small bathroom SW Grassland and LOVE IT! It was previously a beige shade and this gave it a nice pop of color without being overly green. I am going back to the store to try some other shades.