Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn_gw

adding a single curtain rod below current rod

jenn
13 years ago

We have sheers hanging on single wrought iron rods in the living room and dining room. We want to replace the sheers with tab-top curtains, and add a second (smaller) rod below on which to hang the sheers.

Since this is normally done with a double rod, I'm wondering if anyone can suggest any creative alternatives without having to order a matching wrought iron rod. Most of it won't show anyway beneath the top layer of curtains, so it won't need a fancy finial and doesn't need to be as long as the top rod.

Our window is 120" wide so the rod needs some support in the middle, and there isn't much space below the current center bracket, so perhaps we could mount a small bracket or piece of hardware on each side of the current one to support a second rod in the center.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.... thanks!

Comments (4)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Without a photo, I can't guarantee this is a good idea, but you might consider inside mount tension rods for each individual window for the sheers.

When you say tab top curtains, do you mean tab-back? I would think that sheers under tab-top curtains would look strange. Tab tops are a little too casual for the usual curtain-plus-sheer setup.

Would you consider posting a photo of the window as it is now and a link to the curtains you are planning to buy?

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Without seeing photos, I'm going to echo graywings on both counts. I have worked engineering magic using tension rods and closet rod holders that I've worked into existing WTs. If you can find a tension rod in a color that mimics your sheers, it should all but disappear.

But I'm also echoing the other part of the message. If you have true tab top curtains, for one - they usually give a more casual feel that what you'd find paired with a sheer. If you really want the sheer, would it be an option to eliminate the tabs?

Also, double rods rarely drop the second rod low enough that you'd clear the spaces between your tabs. That means the sheers will show between the tab spaces and where the panels part. I'd think that's not the look you're going for.

Picture would def. help, but my first reaction based on your info is to lose the tabs and add tension rods.

• jenn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for your comments ---- I can't believe I didn't think of the things you pointed out... they make so much sense.

Our style is what I call "casual eclectic Hispanic", LOL. The walls are EK's Light Terracotta, medium-dark hardwood floors, stained wood trim around windows, dark blue leather sofas, red/blue area rug, etc. I'll try to take a picture.

Because our look is casual, I want the tab-top curtains. We stayed two nights in a motel in Santa Fe that was decorated throughout with terracotta tile and had tabbed curtains.

Anyway, the reason we want to add non-sheer curtains is because we want some privacy at night while we are watching TV in the living room which has a large window that faces the street. The sheers let in a lot of light during the day ---- which I LOVE -- but I would like to add some non-sheers to pull when we want privacy.

I also considered --- I know this sounds weird, but stay with me ---- replacing these sheers with tab-top sheers, and adding tab-top curtains on the same rods, putting the sheers in the middle so when they are closed some light still comes in but they still offer privacy.

I'll take pictures later and post them for help.

• avesmor
    13 years ago

Depending on how your window is set up - could you add sheers on a tension rod mounted inside the window frame? Then the regular rod would clear it and the sheers, and the sheers should then be down at a proper height from the tabs.

Of course none of this addresses whether or not sheers and tabs "go" - but a cotton scrimm or open weave voile sheer might be a better match.

I also have no idea how this would look, but what if you layered sheers behind the non-sheers, and alternated tabs. Then you could pull back the non-sheers with some type of tieback, but have the sheers stay hanging down. (you'd probably need a good bit of extra width so that your tabs weren't pulled down the rod when you pulled them back).

Kind of like this: