Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

New coffee table!

Sueb20
12 years ago

Since I posted about this previously, I wanted to follow up. I'm very pleased with my new table. If you liked the "before" table better than the "after"... please don't tell me!

This is the table we had before. It wasn't BAD... it just felt like too many corners. Hard to explain but we "cut through" this area a lot and the corners of the table were a bit problematic. And I knew we could use this table at our beach house, where we have a similar pine bookcase in the LR.

Here is the new table. I like that it's round, somewhat airy, and the metal works with the other metals in the room. A friend, who doesn't like it, says it looks like an upside-down basket!

Hmm. I think that sheep is too white for that spot. And the photo propped on the floor is by DS and I haven't found a spot to hang it, so there it sits. Funny how you realize problems when you look at pictures.

Comments (36)

• boysrus2
    12 years ago

Very nice! The round shape is perfect as everything else is a square/rectangle and the size is just right between your sofa and chairs. The color ties in with the dark lamp and iron (or looks like iron) side table too. Your room is beautiful!!!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I love it! Ditto to what boysrus2 said.

• lionors
    12 years ago

You're right that it's airy, but it's dark color also seems to ground the room a bit more.

Very nice!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I love it! The new table really adds some depth by pulling in the dark tones in the dark lamp, beautiful dark (iron?) side table, and picture. The shape is unique and I think it looks a lot less crowded and fits the shape of the seating arrangement better. Also, I don't think the sheep is too white for that spot.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like it a) because it's different and b) because it lets the pattern of the carpet come through.
    The white sheep is fine, you have white in your carpet which guides the eye and ties into your white baseboard which then carries your eye to the white sheep and that fabulous painting on your wall. The colours in the painting are striking and have become more so with the new coffee table. The old table brought out the oranges in the pic but with the new table you notice the picture as a whole.

• User
    12 years ago

Very nice! I honestly really like them both. The new one is so different (in a good way!).

Oh, I really like your rug too.

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I like both, both look good and if you are happy with the 2nd, that's all the matters. I love your mix of leather, wood, rattan, iron...Looks very comfy and inviting.

• Sophie Ingerslew
    12 years ago

I love it! I really liked the first coffee table too - but this one breaks up all the rectangles you see in the top picture. Great choice!

• mjsee
    12 years ago

I bet that sheep doesn't look nearly as white "in situ" as it does "in picture." You used the flash, did you not? Always throws the values off. I like the coffee table---will it need a piece of glass on top so wine glasses and such don't wobble?

• Marg411
    12 years ago

I love it, different and lovely. P.S.-if the sheep is too white, I'll adopt it, I have a sheep collection. Grew up with the silly critters, and for some reason, still love them.

• User
    12 years ago

:c( I'm going to be the voice of decent because I believe you'd appreciate the honesty; I know I would. I love your room, it's gorgeous, I just don't think the change does anything for it. To me, that table looks out of place like it was stuck there as the last resort. I love that you're thinking outside of the box, but there doesn't seem to be anything else in the room that ties in with it. I really like the other table, the room over all had a much more calming and homey feel to it.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I really like the new table! It's different. It's refreshing! Love your rug and other furnishings and the wall color too. I agree though, the lamb seems out of place in there. Not necessarily because he's so lily white, but he'd probably be more at home in a relatively pastoral setting? Your living room is so full of energy! I equate little lambs with quiet, tranquil places. Would he work in one of your bedrooms?

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

I think changing to a round table is a good move.

I think the lamb is at home beneath that gorgeous painting.

• Fun2BHere
    12 years ago

Your new table was one of my favorites from all of the ones you were considering. I like the round shape and I like that the dark metal is echoed in the lamp and the side table base.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

I really like it!

• Jeane Gallo
    12 years ago

I like the round table, but I think I would make a round wood top to sit inside the rim. Distress it and stain it a dark brown. It just doesn't have enough weight for me. IMHO.

• les917
    12 years ago

I like the shape, the dark color works, and most of all, you like it! I do much prefer this to the first table.

For me, it looks a bit like something from a garden room or sunroom, not exactly the warm space you have created.

The upside down issue comes in part because of the open pattern around the bottom, which makes it feel a bit floaty.

Playing on jean gallo's suggestion, I would be tempted to turn it upside down and add a wood or glass or copper metal top, a bit larger than the base all around. Then that open trim would look like a top edge decoration, which feels like it makes more sense.

But, no matter what, in the end if you love it, all of us applaud that!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Well, except for those of you who don't like it. Just kidding. All responses are appreciated but keep in mind, this wasn't a "should I keep it or not?" query.

I could see how it could look cool with a wood top, but I have no idea where I'd find a round wood piece in the right size. I'm currently on the hunt for a top for my kitchen table, though, so who knows what I might find. However, part of my reason for going with a non-wood table is because I have so many different woods in this space already. This is the center of a large space with the kitchen on one end (off-white and cherry cabinets) and office/study area and mudroom at the other (similar wood tones to what you see in the pic). So I'm likely to keep the table as is.

Had some people here last night and wine glasses worked out just fine on the table! Used coasters, of course :)

• dakota01
    12 years ago

Maybe you can find a piece of glass or granite to protect your new table and then you can forget the coasters. They sell that thin/thin glass for the particle board tables and they come in a couple of sizes (gez, when I moved, I tossed 2 of those) maybe you can find one that fits it perfect.

• jockewing
    12 years ago

Sue, love the energy in the room due to how all the colors play off of the complex cool neutral walls. I think the round shape is great but I agree the table would look even better with a piece of even marble or
    travertine on top.

It gets kind of
    lost being so dark, at least in the,pic.

What is your wall color?

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

It looks great! And I think the lamb looks right at home under the barn picture.

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

I didn't mean to beat up on the little lamb! He looks very refined and sweet and tame, & as I said before, pastoral (to me!) Everything else in the room consistently reads warm, inviting, cozy...sexy, even!

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

oh, stinky, I didn't like disagreeing with you about the lamb! But I had to stick up for him, partly because I have the same lamb, only mine is "greige" (lol).

• stinky-gardener
    12 years ago

That's cool, Nance! Where do you keep yours? Post a pic if you have a chance!

• loribee
    12 years ago

I think it's darling and I love that the whole room is so different. It looks like you took your time and searched for special pieces.

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

Love what you picked. Your pic could be in this article! You've truly reimagined the coffee table. Good for you for going for it and changing the feel of your space. doesn't it feel good?

Here is a link that might be useful: [Reimagine the Coffee Table[(https://www.houzz.com/magazine/8-ways-to-reimagine-the-coffee-table-stsetivw-vs~362525)

• amyktexas
    12 years ago

I have this coffee table that I got on a scratch and dent because the floor model was having issues with a peeling finish. We use it on a covered patio so it doesn't bother me that it is aging and rusting a bit. But if you want it to maintain it's current sheen you might consider a glass top or at least a few picture books that you can balance drinks on.

Love the look of the table in the room!

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I think it looks great. I'm also loving the barn painting - can you tell me more about it?

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

Where did you ever find a table like that - love it!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much for all the nice comments.

Jockewing, sorry for the delay -- the paint color is BM Cheyenne Green.

ellen, thanks for your compliment and for the link! I often find myself resisting the "usual" coffee table and trying to find more interesting options. Not always easy. In our beach house, we have a coffee table that we made from a PB Kids art table -- just cut a few inches off the legs. It is a great, solid wood, big coffee table that we paid around $150 for. I love when people use those architectural flat file cabinets as tables, too.

Ttodd, below is a link to the artist. His work is pretty amazing.

arapaho, the table is from Crate & Barrel.

• teacats
    12 years ago

LOVE the new table! ((and yes -- I did like the old one too -- and it is great to know that it can be re-used at the beach house!))

And the lamb is indeed very cute -- but I would LOVE to see a fall pumpkin sitting there -- and maybe another one on the new table? :)

• bananafana
    12 years ago

Could you repost the link to the artist, Sue? I don't see it. Thanks.

I like either table in there actually, but the round one is more interesting. I do like the idea of putting a round wood top on it. (Maybe barn wood? I have a thing for barns.)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops! Sorry, here's the web site for the artist!

Here is a link that might be useful: Peter B.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

For to mention, teacats, that I had the thought of putting a pumpkin there especially because we had a Halloween party here on Fri., but I had a small pumpkin on my kitchen counter and the bottom got all gunky -- didn't want it to stain my table top if the same thing happened again. I agree that something orange or orange-red would be nice there. When we first got the table, I looked around for a red/orange bowl or something... never did find it and then got sidetracked by other things. Maybe I will come upon something one of these days!

• mybrowneyedgirls
    12 years ago

Love it! I also would love to know where you got your side table (with the plant on it). I've been looking for something just like that (I can see it in my head but never in stores :) Thanks!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I got the side table from Napa Style catalog about 5 years ago. I don't see it there any more, but recently noticed an almost identical table in the Sundance catalog -- although I don't think I paid that much for it! They're selling it for $395. It looks a little different from mine -- seems to have a nicer wood top.