Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenwebber

What size bed for a 10 year old? Small bedroom issue!

gardenwebber
15 years ago

I posted this over on furniture, too. I'm just wondering what you folks might have to say about this. My DD is turning 10 soon. She is in need of a new mattress. She is currently using an older full-size bed/mattress that we inherited when we moved into our new house 5 years ago. Her room is small (11X12) and the bed takes up the whole room (or so it seems.)

I was thinking of downsizing to a twin size. Would this be a mistake? I currently have her bed centered on a wall, and I think that is why it seems to swallow the room.

Another thought I had was to keep her in a full-size bed, and get rid of her dressers. Get her a clothing armoire to store clothes, and push her bed into one of the corners of the room to create more floor space. Then maybe she'll have enough room for a pretty vanity for her 10th birthday.

Anyways - thanks for reading. Any thoughts?

Comments (27)

• robin2007
    15 years ago

My 3 kids each have a twin. They are 10, 9 and 6 years old. I grew up with a twin and used a twin throughout highschool.

Also, when you go to college, you usually only have room for a twin, or if you are in a dorm it's always a twin. So, if they can fit college students I would guess that they would work great for a 10 year old :)

I don't see a problem with it unless the child is physically too big to sleep comfortably in it (excessive height or weight).

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

I wouldn't go out and buy a new bed if you have one that's in good shape (even if it needs a new mattress). I took my full-sized bed after I moved out of the dorm, and kept it until well after I was married. If the whole set is nice, she may want to do the same thing. So see if you can just move things around - in my parents' house, my bed was pushed up against a window, and our first house one side was against the wall so I had to crawl over DH to get in and out!

Of course, if by "inherited" you mean your have the PO's junk they didn't bother to move, you could buy a nice twin bed, either 4 poster or canopy if you want romantic, or a captain's bed with storage. My 10-yr old DS has a cheap captain's bed we bought 8 years ago, had to reinforce the drawers but it's still going strong. DH says he can keep it til he goes to college, but I'm thinking we might have to buy full in another 5 yrs or so the way he's growing. He's 4'9" and 63 lbs, size 5 shoe. Pretty soon he'll be as big as I am, and I know even the XL twin in college when I was 5'4" and 107 lbs was kinda small. Then again, I was used to a full.

• User
    15 years ago

My vote is for the twin size as well. 10 years olds love sleep overs, why not get a stylish day bed with a trundle. We bought one for our guest room, but they have some wonderful ones for girls rooms too. Here's {{gwi:1538717}}ours.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks guys!

Ajsmamma - You got it right - we are using the PO's former guestroom bed (gently used, but definitely not high quality) and her dressers are a mish-mash of garage sale finds.

How does the trundle work?

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

At 10y/o she may have an opinion. Maybe she likes her current bed and is used to it and does not wish to change. Maybe she doesn't want sleepovers. Maybe she does not want a vanity. Maybe she want bunkbeds. Or a trundle. Why not ask her and proceed from there?

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Believe it or not, your DD's "small" room is the size of our biggest biggest kid's bedroom. All three of our kids have twin beds and I haven't even thought of changing--even for DS who is 15-1/2 years. He has enough trouble getting out of bed in the morning as it is. LOL! We make the most of their below bed space--but for each child it is different. DS has two deep storage drawers on rollers (which is mostly used to store my stuff). Older DD has a captain's bed with a could of shallow drawers (but other half is just wasted space). Youngest DD has a trundle. All of these are better than just leaving it empty below there--or it'll be a place to stash all their junk. I do like the daybeds like lukkirish's esp. if they have a trundle below.

Of necessity we've installed closet organizers in all their rooms whinch drawer storage. Neither of my older two have dressers in their rooms--instead we have given them a larger sized computer desk with a hutch as we feel it's important for them to have a quiet place to study and do homework.

My two cents having shopped with my 13-year-old at about the same age for furniture is the parent's should pick the furniture, but let the kid's choose the decor. Kid's just don't have the vision to think what they'll need 2-3 years down the road whereas a parent does and it can be a disappointment if what she likes is not in your budget or the size does not fit. I found DD was more interested in her comforter, paint color, drapes, etc.

My older kids furniture is all by Stanley Young America and I really like it. They are very well made and I particularly like the large desks with the hutches that have a cork board and I installed overhead lights. Having a place to study, do homework, organize their school projects, and store school supplies becomes increasingly important heading into the middle and high school years--so if a double bed takes up the whole room, I'd definitely think of downsizing to a twin to allow space for other activities.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Twin or Full, ask her if she would like a chest bed, lots of storage for her things but same comfy for sleeping.

• midwestmom
    15 years ago

I vote for twin too. That gives her more room in her bedroom. My 10 & 6 year olds have twin beds and I slept in a twin bed until I got married (at age 28!). For sleepovers we air up twin camping air mattresses.

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I really appreciate all of your input - I am very seriously leaning towards ditching the full size and going for the twin size.

On the other topics:

My DD has not yet had a sleepover where they slept in her room. They always get out sleeping bags and "camp out" on the FR floor in front of the huge TV! This is a big treat for them.

Re: desks in the bedrooms, I just have a comment about that. At this point, 10 year old DD does much better w/ her homework if I am close by to help or help her double-check. If she did her homework upstairs, I think one of us would have a heart attack from running up and down the stairs for help. LOL! Maybe this changes as they get older?

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Our DD has an 11X12 room with a twin day bed and trundle. She and her friends love the trundle for sleepovers. Much more comfy than the living room floor, and it gives the girls a place to chatter while we can still watch TV after bed time. The daybed also provides a place to sit up and read since the room is too small for a separate reading chair.

When I was in HS, I always studied in my room. My college prep classes were reading and writing intensive, and that is not the kind of work you can do in the middle of the living or dining room with everyone making noise around you. Something to consider.

• Valerie Noronha
    15 years ago

Re: The desk. I guess it depends on your home and family situation. We have three kids (15,13, and 7). The older ones definitely need a place of their own to spread out and concentrate--free from other distractions. My 15-year-old takes several honors courses and often stays up later than we do working on his homework--plus he is on the speech and debate team and has LOTS of files for the cases he is running; but at 10 I never would've dreamed he'd be so invloved in an activity like this. They both have laptops they use there as well, though that can be debateable whether that is a good thing to have in their rooms or not as it's an activity that definitely needs monitoring--but works for my kids and if they abuse their privledge (too much AIM, facebook), then I take away the laptop. Laptops do change the way they work on homework as they can bring it anywhere with good and bad habits. My DS will lay on the bed and work on it. With DD who only recently got hers as she is editor for her school newpapers, we told her upfront, her if she is using the laptop to sit on her desk. As we've dealt with allergies I do not like them to sit on their beds and do homework--esp. with pencils, markers, pens, etc. and all the ink from the papers getting over everything.

With my 7-year-old sometimes she uses the kitchen table, sometimes the desk in her room, but I am definitely more involved in the process. Her desk does have all her school supplies, work books, paper and I use the bottom drawer for all her completed class work. I know some others with larger homes, will set up an extra room as a homework room. Just something to keep in mind that her needs will change as she gets older.

• User
    15 years ago

Gardenwebber, the trundle is a twin bed on a frame with springs so it can fold down low to the ground and slide under the frame of the daybed. You can get them with frames for a regular styled bed too. Here is a sample and if you google trundle beds, there are tons of sights that sell them.
    {{!gwi}}

• arleneb
    15 years ago

When my middle daughter was about 13, she fell in love with a white iron twin-size daybed for her very small bedroom. She worked to pay for half of it and we paid the rest. It would have been nice to have a trundle, but the space and the $$ weren't there. Fast forward: She's 37 now and her 6 year old is sleeping in that bed -- replaced the mattress, but Chloe loves her mommy's old bed.

Overstock.com had some cute twins with trundle a couple months ago . . .

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow - OP here. Thanks guys, for giving me lots to think about. I'm pretty sure we'll downsize to a single bed, but I am not sure if I want a daybed style or the kind on regular frame. Ho hum - another decision in my life! You'd have to see her room to understand - its a bit long and narrow with a bump in it from the linen closet in our hallway, so I'll need helping deciding which bed will fit the room best. Maybe I'll post pics later?

• User
    15 years ago

Our guest room has a bump in it too, it's from the closet in the master bedroom, so I understand. That's why the daybed worked so well for our situation. They're really wonderful because they do offer a lot of options in style and design and you can find some that are really reasonably priced. Yes, post pics, would love to see.

• runninginplace
    15 years ago

Gardenwebber, I'm going to give you another opinion on this question.

Your daughter is a preteen now but it is quite possible, maybe even likely, that in a few years she is going to be a typical teenager who lives in her room. If she also likes having friends over I think she will probably want to have her sleepovers there, not the living room.

Which is to say that for a teen spending hours in their operation central and for having friends spend the night a double is probably much better than a twin. A trundle would work too but I know my teenage daughter (turning 17 tomorrow :) wouldn't want anything smaller than a double. And her room is 12x12 too so it isn't that we have a huge space available. In fact I just switched out the double in there for a *queen* size bed and there is still plenty of room, relatively speaking. She has the bed w/a headboard-no footboard to conserve space. The other furniture is a large bureau w/attached mirror, a nightstand, a table-style desk and a wall of IKEA bookshelves. There isn't a lot of empty space but it is a perfect nest for her. She loves it. My daughter happens to be a tall long limbed young woman so for her the queen really does make sense.

But I'd give a lot of thought to what you buy now. Your daughter is on the cusp of a major, major change that will encompass everything from her physical size to her outlook on life. It would be a shame to buy something now that is going to be hated in 2-3 years.

Just my .02 and good luck with your decision,
    Ann

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I would vote for a double bed. I always keep the bed against the wall because it does give more room. When kids are older, they don't need a lot of floor space because they don't play on the floor like little kids. They read in bed, do computer in bed, listening to music in bed, talk to friend in bed :-) do nails in bed :-)

The bed is the room for teens, I think. :-)

• amysrq
    15 years ago

My daughter has had a double bed in our summer place and I really enjoy being able to lie down and have bedtime chats with her. In the rest-of-the-year house, trying to fit our two bodies into a twin is ridiculous. Often times, she opens up and shares things with me that she would not during the day. I am usually in bed and fast asleep before she finishes her homework, but on those occasions when we can have a tuck-in ritual, it is very sweet.

Even though she has always had a desk/office set-up in or near her room, she prefers to spread out in the house, to be closer to us. (We do have a quiet house.) For sleepovers, the girls have mostly slept in the queen in the guest room or in a pile of blankets and sleeping bags on the floor. The trundle usually goes unused unless we have a long-term visitor, like an exchange student.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

Example of an adult chest bed. Many "captain type" for boys but this is adult and gender neutral.
    {{!gwi}}
    I know, but isn't it pretty......
    {{!gwi}}

• teacats
    15 years ago

Twin bed with a desk and/or bookshelves and bulletin board Or several bulletin boards) and full-length mirror on back of door. Good lighting AND (if possible) a small chair.

BASIC REASONS FOR EACH SUGGESTION: Twin bed to allow for more room (perhaps a blow-up Aero bed for guest?) Desk and/or bookshelves to develop a love of crafts, art projects, books and reading on real paper! (not just the computer!) Bulletin boards allow fast and easy changes of personal photos and "stuff" A full-length mirror on back of door for checking the full "look" (and to free up time in the family bathroom LOL!) Good lighting by the bed and around the whole room. A small cozy chair is wonderful to have a space that is so private (like a hug from your home!)

Always loved having my own desk with my own books in my own room! (wish I had one now! sigh) Used the desk for MY art projects! LOVED having MY own books .....

Jan

• gardenwebber
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bella (and anyone else with the double bed pushed up against the wall) how in the world do you make that bed each morning? Our DS has a bed against the wall but it is on wheels, so pulling it aside to make the bed or change sheets isn't too bad.

• bodiCA
    15 years ago

In our RV, I sew the wall side of the flat top sheet to the wall side of the fitted bottom sheet. I stitch from the foot to the pillow area. That leaves it loose for comfort at the top, and I can usually tuck the bottom in. I have also stitched together across the bottom but it is important to leave room for feet, so I just tuck. I prefer the side only to have open in the washing machine and dryer. Another trick I've used, strips I can pull the sheets from the wall side under the mattress.

• User
    15 years ago

Bodica! Check this out, we bought this bed and 2 night stands last July for our bedroom. I bet it's made by the same manufacturer. It's basically the same design except for the shape of the back. I've never seen it with the square back, looks nice!
    {{!gwi}}

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

Differing opinion here. My kids couldn't wait to lose their twin beds. When we upgraded from a queen to a king, eldest DD took our old queen. And the other kids were VERY jealous.

Have you considered a loft bed? That way the bed is up off the ground (could even be a full size) and then there is a lot of room below for a desk and storage.

• Kiwicado - Roblox & More
    3 years ago

Sis.. are you serious? Your dd is turning ten and at the age of nine she is using a full? Lol no way, i am ten and i have been using a long twin. I havent even put a nail on any bigger bed, and just now i said i will get a full.. YOU SHOULD KEEP THE FULLLL ITSSSS PERFECTTTTT

• Natalie Blair
    3 years ago

I am ten, and I have a queen bed!