Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gsciencechick

Feedback needed: Doors or no doors?

gsciencechick
10 years ago

I have one week to return these Ydre doors to Ikea. Originally we thought we would want the doors to hide the stuff but it looks OK without. Due to my incorrect measurements, we did not have enough space to corner mount one Billy bookcase with another one next to the TV unit. Despite this, it looks tons better than previous. Also, our room is not quite square.

So, doors or no doors? Does it look too "off balance" with the doors? Thanks. This is not a room/office used by anyone but us.

No Doors

Doors (not fully installed, just propped)

Comments (20)

• Jamie
    10 years ago

I like to have a place to hide things. I would keep the door on the right, and use the TV wall for more decorative things.

Or return both doors. I don't like the two door look.

I think your TV corner looks great.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hmm, interesting. Here is the one door option.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I vote for no doors UNLESS you need to hide things.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

No doors in this case.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

I don't know about the doors.
    But if I had to have a door I prefer the one that is glass and closed at the bottom to hide and still have display..

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

No doors. I think your items look good the way you have them.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

No doors, but I might be tempted to hang another row of the shelves above the TV so it looks more built in and less wall is showing. The TV looks a little dwarfed to me right now. Love all the books and how you've interspersed interesting items.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Count me in with the no doors. I wish we had an Ikea near us.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanie that is a good idea about another set of shelves. We also thought about putting some of our framed autographed record albums in that space. We have posters, etc we have not put back yet.

As far as the Ikea return I will have to find times that avoid the rush hour out there. Sigh. Weekends are such a zoo there.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

No doors

• mitchdesj
    10 years ago

I like your setup with doors, specially since they are not fully opaque, it unifies the overall look.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

One more "no door" vote and also agree that you need to put more shelves or something visually weighty above the TV.

Nice job!

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

No doors. Looks great!

• tracie.erin
    10 years ago

Doors. It's too visually cluttered otherwise and I could never relax in that room no matter how perfectly styled.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I'd say it depends on what the rest of your room looks like and what look you're trying to achieve. With doors: More streamlined, contemporary. Without: Cozier, more colorful, a bit younger (play room). Also, do you like to SEE your books?

• Janice742
    10 years ago

No doors - and I love the idea about another set of shelves. Just keep that space visually simple... your record album idea is a good one!

• kkay_md
    10 years ago

I have (clear) doors on my bookshelves downstairs and like them because they keep the dust off things.

• gsciencechick
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just wanted to update that I returned all the doors. Even thought it was Sat, it was not a zoo, so whew on that. There was only one person ahead of me in the return line.

Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe this weekend we will have more time to put up some more items. We really love our music and other memorabilia, and we have nowhere else to really display it.

• AtomicJay007
    10 years ago

THIS:

Posted by joaniepoanie (My Page) on Sun, Oct 20, 13

"... hang another row of the shelves above the TV so it looks more built in and less wall is showing."

Something was off that I couldn't put my finger on until I read Joanie's post. This would definitely finish off the look, and perhaps even a wood backer behind the TV just to really make the built-in look complete.

• erinsean
    10 years ago

I would put a shelf under the TV so that the box sitting by the TV could be put on this shelf...would bring the TV up a little higher but I think not too high for comfortable viewing. Then I would put another shelf on top of the TV if there is room.