Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindabarbara_gw

Pottery Barn Pillows & Crate and Barrel

lindabarbara
12 years ago

I just returned from the Mall where I spent a considerable amount of time rooting through the beautiful, embroidered pillows "on sale." After making my selection I was told the ones I wanted were not on sale. Now I'm a HomeGoods girl so when I saw the price for just the pillow cover, excuding the pillow, itself I was in sticker shock. Even the pillows on sale seemed so expensive to me. I can't seem to find the pillows I'm looking for at HomeGoods. I'm surprised in this economy that more and better sales aren't being offered.

Also, I was looking at the Pottery Barn sofas (the slip covered ones). Someone told me they are not well made and they have problems delivering their merchandise. I don't know if this is true or not. I then went to the Crate and Barrel store to look at slipcovered sofas. Any opinions as to what you think about their product as compared to Pottery Barn?

I know this posting is a little disjointed but people who know my posts would expect nothing less....thank you.

Comments (15)

• User
    12 years ago

I completely understand what you mean about the sticker shock at PB. I'm fortunate enough that one of their outlets is fairly close to us and I really enjoy when they have one of their pillow sales. Last year I indulged in 3 of the embroidered covers for 3 18 inch pillows because I fell in love with the print. They were marked down to 27.00 ea from 39.00 but even so I still felt they were pricey. What I discovered though is that they are really heavy duty and well made, no corner cutting at all. They don't feel cheap and flimsy and look amazing. I don't know about the quality of the their furniture so I can't comment on that.

In regards to Crate and Barrel, I think they are over priced and not worth a cent. Everything I or my daughter have ever bought from there has been crap. The dishes chip, their silverware spots and rusts and I refuse to shop there anymore.

I like Home Goods too but used to be a much bigger fan than I am now. I'm just so freaking tired of every piece of their furniture looking like it was a return all scratched and beat up. They've raised their prices so high it's no longer a bargain. I've also noticed the same merchandise seems to rotate with the seasons. They say they buy over stock but if that's the case, why is it that the canisters I bought 3 yrs ago have been brought back every year since? I'm also a little tired of the lower quality. Their stuff used to be fresh and reliable but now sheets shrink, towels only last a couple of years and their stuff seems like junk. IMHO it's really just all about what you like and can afford.

That said, have you tried looking at Etsy.com for pillow covers? There are some amazingly talented people there with some beautifully made products and prices on some are quite reasonable.

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

LOL, Linda! I don't own and haven't tried out a PB sofa, except to briefly sit on ones they've had in their stores, so I can't help you there but I do have a question.

I was just sitting here looking at their latest catalog and lusting over their embroidered pillows! But, the one I love the most is this one:

Did you see it? I don't believe this is one of their embroidered ones. It may be just a printed design. Any thoughts on the quality?
    Thanks, Lynn

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    12 years ago

Crate and Barrel sofas are made by Lee and by McCreary Modern. We have a leather one (McCreary)from CB for about 9 months now with no issues so far. I also have tufted, upholstered dining chairs by McCreary from Ballard designs - only 1 month old but they look better than some of the things I've seen at PB. I can't attest to the longevity.

We also have a slipcovered couch from PB that is about 10 years old- the frame has held up fine. The slipcovers have faded due to multiple washings (I have 2 kids under 7). and the cushions have flattened out a bit. I don't know who manufactured it(not on any of the tags). The couch is very comfortable though.

Both don't have 8-way hand tied springs and are not heirloom quality, but you'll probably get 7-12 years out of them.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I've learned that I need to see pillow covers in person. If there's free shipping offered, I'll buy ones that I think I might like and then return the ones I don't like to the store. Last year, I bought an embroidered holly pillow covering from PB and it was poorly executed and certainly not worth the price. However, I recently bought a crewel embroidered cover in the store and it was very nice.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Crate and Barrel sofas are made by manufacturers other than the two lishaana mentioned. At least as of about 6 months ago, they also had American Leather sofas -- not labeled as such, but they were by AL. We have two C&B Bayside slipcovered sofas in our beach house and I adore them. We have had one of them for about 5 years and it's still in perfect condition, although the slipcover needs to be washed. The other one is only about a year old. They are both among the most comfortable sofas I've ever had. I have never owned a PB sofa.

I have to admit, I do like a lot of the PB pillows/covers. They hold up well. I have several. I also have a couple of pillows from C&B that look terrible and they're only about 6 months old. I have some pillows from West Elm that I like a lot, too. I can never seem to find pillows that I like at Home Goods. I have also had a seamstress make pillows for me, which doesn't turn out to be as expensive as it sounds.

• loribee
    12 years ago

I recently became a fan of PB pillow covers. I love that I can create a whole new look with them. That being said, I do find them $$. I shop on sale and free shipping only and have always been pleased with my purchases.

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

I love my PB pillow covers, I have bought a bunch over the years and they've held up well.
    I also have to PB sectionals in my house in NH. One was a floor sample in a cotton duck fabric. I certainly wouldn't get that fabric again, though I adore the sectional, it is very comfy. At the time, I was working at the Barn and got a great deal on it. The other is in slipcovered velvet and that has held up great. I had the cushions cleaned last year and it looks good as new. As a caveat, the house is usually only used seasonally. A 40% discount makes their products reasonable.
    They just advertised my old job on Craigslist (in the stockroom), and I was thinking it might be worth it to get some bedroom furniture, but there really isn't anything I love there right now.

The pillow cover with the deer is painted on linen I think. I have a similar one with a snowman. Love it!

Beth P.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I love my PB pillows too and in all my years of Home Goods, TJ, Tuesday shopping, have never come across anything that compares to the style of the PB pillow covers. They have held up well and I do shop sales. Once you have the forms, the covers can be switched out for seasonal looks and variety, if you like.
    The only pillows I have used and discarded are ones from Pier One.

• caminnc
    12 years ago

I got some from Target last year. They are really big and pretty. They are brown fabric with orange, red, yellow embroidery on them. I think they were only about twenty five dollars each. I think they look like they could have come from PB.

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

I was just thinking of asking this question myself!

We really need new sofas. We have a sectional that I got from CL to try out and we just hate having a sectional. I am so glad I tried one out and only spent a couple hundred dollars instead of just going for a new sectional.

I was thinking leather again, but I really just don't want leather. I am sick of it.

SO now I am looking at the Pottery Barn Windsor slip covered sofa and the lounge slip covered sofa from Crate and barrel.

I think I will go see them this weekend.

• southern_vesta
    12 years ago

I have a Lee sofa from the Coveralls collection that I purchased 3 years ago from Crate & Barrel and the cushions are horrible, (I even purchased upgraded cushions to replace the standard ones that came with the sofa after a few months of use). I was attracted to the casual relaxed appearance of the sofa. The problem is it's too relaxed and casual, the seat & back cushions must be fluffed up and rearranged after sitting on it due to sagging & indentations. Unfortunately the sofa is in the Family Room and it is used daily.The fabric I chose is great but the cushions are the absolute worst. I would not recommend a Lee sofa from the Coveralls collection. I believe I have the C2375-03. I have never had an upholstered piece of furniture look so bad after such a short time. When it is replaced in the Spring it will be given away.

I have a few of PB Textured Linen Pillow Covers & from my experience they
    are a fair price for the quality.

• Sueb20
    12 years ago

Wow, I am surprised to hear your review of your sofa, southern vesta. We have a loveseat from the same Lee collection. I think I've had it for 10 years. I've replaced the slipcover once because my dogs had made it their "bed" and it finally got too nasty, but the cushions are still in great condition. It probably doesn't get as much use as yours, but I've been really happy with my loveseat. I did not get it from C&B but I assume Lee Coveralls is the same no matter where it's purchased.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

I can only comment on PB furniture delivery in my area: it was excellent, but it takes a while. There will be different delivery companies in each region, though.

• tahl
    12 years ago

As far as the quality of Crate & Barrel items -- many of their lamps have been historically (and I assume still are) made by Robert Abbey, a really excellent, high-quality lighting manufacturer. (The manufacturer's name is on them when you unpack them.) I've bought probably 8 Crate & Barrel lamps in the last five years, and loved them all.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Count me in as one for PB pillow covers! After purchasing my 1st set off of E-bay I immediately stopped buying pillows elsewhere. I kept all of my 'better qualtiy' pillows that I already had from Homegoods type stores and sold the rest. I use PB pillow covers on all of them now. They wash up well, are made well and stand up to my household so as far as I'm concerend there is no need for me to look elsewhere.

I'm very frugal about spending decorating monies and although I haven't paid full price for a PB pillow cover (usually purchase off of e-bay) I would not hesitate to buy one on sale brand new from the store.

lynninnewmexicao - I have wanted that pillow cover for 2yrs now! I was so happy when I saw it in the catalog again this year. That means there is hope that I may have it someday!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County