Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
massagerocks_gw

please-in need of paint color opinions

massagerocks
9 years ago

It took me 8 years to decide on new family room furniture, which I purchased earlier this spring. Now I'm in need of choosing a new paint color, and I'm just so stuck. I've had SW Blonde in all the major areas of my house forever. With my new furniture, the Blonde is starting to scream gold and I'd like to change to something softer. I've been looking at grays but its so hard choosing. Room faces south and receives generous, but not glaring light. I love Amazing Gray, but I'm afraid it'll be too dark when the whole room is painted. It looks really dark at night. I have 2 walls which go up 2 stories, so those 2 walls are big and solid with nothing to break up the paint color except a fireplace. There is a small wall in the room I tried painting BM revere pewter, but during the day it doesnt have enough color or depth. Agreeable Gray is lighter than the RP. Does anyone have any suggestions? Wordly Gray looks best so far, but I'm reading it has some red undertones? Does that mean it'll look bad in my room-carpet is a gold/brown (similar to SW Blonde), furniture is gray and gold. Pics follow, since cant post them together. Appreciate any advice you can give me!
Wall paint is RP..single chip on the Left side is Amazing Gray. Top chip is Agreeable Gray. Worldy Gray is second from bottom on the right paint strip.

Comments (28)

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another pic

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

chairs

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

close up of color chips the RP on the wall is much lighter in daylight. I like it best in the evening w/o any lights on. It looks a bit green here, but I dont see any green on the wall. I

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

last pic...fireplace wall... will probably move the mirror over the couch.
    thanks.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I would NOT do a gray in there.

For that room, from the BM Williamsburg Collection, I"d look at:

Prentis Cream

York Gray (more of a beige)

Chowning's Tan

Cornice Tan

Williamsburg Stone

and Brush Beige

• amykath
    9 years ago

I would do a less yellow tan and a more neutral tan. Love your room! I also really think an area rug (even just one for under the ottoman would really bring the room together.

• patricianat
    9 years ago

SW 7037 Balanced Beige

• catkin
    9 years ago

No color advice but wanted to say that you have nice furnishings.

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your comments. Tibbrix, why do you say absolutely no to the grays? I couldnt convince myself I loved any of them in my room, but I dont know why..
    Before these grays I had liked BM Shaker Beige, but my family thought it looked too close to the Blonde so we started on the gray route. I looked up Balanced Beige, and I'd love my room if it turned out like the examples. Many had gray furniture also, very pretty rooms. I have a sample of Accesible Beige which is one lighter than Balanced and I do like it. I am concerned though about the beiges not looking good with my goldish rug, or next to my other Blonde rooms, but maybe the balanced beige looks more grayish brown than beigey? Does anyone have Balanced Beige? I'll bring home some chips of Balanced Beige to try out and also stop at the BM store for some of Tibbrix's suggestions. Thanks again....

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Love your room. Particularly the chairs. Eddie Bauer flax would look nice IMO.

• User
    9 years ago

Another vote for Shaker Beige with your furnishings. Once on all the walls it will look very different from the Blonde. Test your paint samples on large poster board and leave white around all the edges.

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

We used Balanced Beige at the last two houses and Blonde in the shop. BB really changes with lighting the lighting, sometimes reading yellow and others beige. Here it is looking really yellow.....

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

And here it looks creamier.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'd go with taupe that's in your printed fabric over the gray. Maybe a BM berkshire beige...

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I think that, with the tiles around the FP and the carpet and the warm (v. cool) furnishings, gray would be discordant in that room. It looks like it's a pretty light room, huge windowâ¦so I think I'd go light, a cream. Prentis Cream (suggested above), BM Natural Cream..and then put some nice decor and artwork up on the walls.

If I may, I'd also place the furniture very differently than you have it now. It looks like a doctor's waiting room now with everything pushed up against any available wallspace! JMO, of course!

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, the photos might be a bit misleading, furniture is pulled away from the walls, any further and it interferes with the walking space between ottoman and chairs. But if there is alternative arrangement, I'd love to see the ideas! The leather chair is on a small angled wall at the end of the couch. That end of the room is open to the kitchen. Do you know of any creamy colors that dont go too yellow on large wall spaces?

Persnickity- thank you! those photos are really helpful. The color looks great in your rooms. But why does your paint look much more yellow than the pictures I see on Houzz? They look so different!
    from Houzz but looks a bit darker here than other pics..

[Traditional Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2107) by Fort Wayne Interior Designers & Decorators CDI: Choice Designs, Inc.

Annie, that color is very pretty. It looks darker than what I think I want...2 of my walls are 2 stories high and its a lot of solid wall. I'm afraid of tiring of too much color, which is happening with the Blonde.
    I love my chair fabric, but when I put similar colors up on the wall, they look like cement to me....How to avoid that? I want something rich and pretty, but not yellow.

thanks plant nut..seriously, I agonized 8 years over the furniture, so scared of making a mistake. Then mom gifted me some money and I had to finally make a decision so she could see the results....she's 90! I cant let that happen with the paint. I want to have it painted by Christmas, oh and with new lamps too! That's the plan :) But now its almost November and I've had the furniture since March already..

shee, I'll revisit the shaker beige...wasnt sure i liked it with my carpet, but I do agree a bigger sample would help with that.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Oh, wait a second. I was looking at the pic on Annie's post at 8:13, re: furniture placement. That isn't your room, is it? Duh.

color: check out BM Clay Beige.

• persnicketydesign
    9 years ago

Balanced Beige is a chameleon. The amount of light in the rooms changes it dramatically. In the first photo that I posted the room had two 7' windows and got bright light in the afternoon (that photo was taken in the afternoon). The second pic had a single 9' window, but was covered by the front porch. Although it got bright sun in the morning it never looked as yellow as the den.

Just to make it more confusing, we used the Balanced Beige from the same 5 gallon bucket in the house before the one that's shown in the pics. It didn't read nearly as yellow in that house. I'll see if I still have a pic of it in that house, but it looks a lot more like the pic that you posted from Houzz.

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ive narrowed it down to 2 chocies. Top lighter color is bm Clay Beige, bottom darker color is Grant Beige. I dont know how to post more than one pic at a time. What do you think? Grant, Clay or nay?

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

another wall

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

one more,
    thanks!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Which way does the window face? If south or east, I'd use the Clay Beige. If north or west, the Grant.

In other words, if the room gets a lot of light for most of the day, I'd go with the lighter color. If not, I'd go with the darker.

• Catharine442
    9 years ago

I'm glad you decided not to use the grays. You already have a lot of gray.

• antmaril
    9 years ago

I have Clay Beige in my condo. I love this color. It looks modern and doesn't seem to have any glaring undertones. Here is a picture --

• cawaps
    9 years ago

The Clay Beige seems to offer more contrast with your sofa, which I prefer. In the picture with the fireplace, I can barely distinguish the colors, although I can see a marked difference in the other two pics (yet another example of why lighting matters so much).

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Agree that Clay Beige offers more contrast with the sofa. And I have to say, I love it in antmaril's room.

• massagerocks
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just want to say thank you for your opinions and pictures. They were all very helpful. This is a big decision for us, as the room is large and we are paying to have it painted this time. We've decided on Clay Beige. Also want to emphasize to test larger swatches of paint on the wall and check it at different times of day. Every paint I tried that looked just like "the one" from pics I saw on Houzz looked totally different in my room. I thought Grant beige was it for sure, but oddly during the day it's quite dark and gray, and at night it lightens up and just looks muddy. Room faces South, but maybe the new window with Uv Light coating changes the light? The Clay beige looks nice, much lighter,and I think with all our large empty wall space it'll look best. Wasnt thinking about contrast with the sofa, but after it was mentioned, it helped seal the choice. Off to find a painter, will post pics when done..thanks again, its feels great to finally make a decision!

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Congrats on making a decision! If the room is south-facing, I think you made the right choice with the Clay Beige.

Can't wait to see pics! Hope you love it.