Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchendetective

Need help with young man's bedroom ,please

kitchendetective
12 years ago

One of the Dses wants to use his old king size bed in a room with silvery gray wtw carpet and a black roman shade. Walls can be any color, bedding can be redone, curtains can be added over the roman shade. The bed is almost-black wood, with a dark brown leather tufted headboard and footboard. 25-year-old single guy. Carpet stays, for the foreseeable future, as does the very effective blackout lined, black shade. I'm pretty sure this a photo of the same bed, which is a massive king size:

{{!gwi}}
I don't believe the rest of the furniture is from the same (Bernhardt) group, but the stain is very similar to the black of the bed on the night tables and chest of drawers, so it looks coordinated. My thought was

1. Paint walls gray to blend with carpet (Pavilion Gray was a possibility, but he says it's too blue.)

2. Find fabrics in pattern and print that contain black, brown, gray, and something more colorful, e.g. green or gold to use for bedding and curtains over shade.

Perhaps you have other ideas you could share? He loathes blue, likes clean lines and some Asian-inspired accents, and modern and contemporary furnishings. (I like less calm, less linear styles, so I'm finding this difficult. Also, the brown/gray combination is throwing me off.) I have a few ideas for fabric, but I'd prefer to hear what others say first. He needs lamps, too.

Comments (11)

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Hi Kithendetective, I have no idea what dses means (sorry lol). I'm not sure of your situation but some young men don't like a lot of decor-y stuff which makes it all even harder. I LOVE wall murals to make a punch! I have never ordered from this site but they do have a lot of categories. I have ordered from a Canadian site on ebay before as there prices were less. The pre-glued murals usually come in sections and are very easy to put up.

http://www.muralsyourway.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: cool wall murals

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Purely some ideas to provoke reactions, get directions, etc.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

From Jonathan Adler. You can design your own rug to incorporate these colors plus the brown. I just did, but it won't let me show you the picture. The rug with strips of varying widths seems to work, not too busy.

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    12 years ago

"DSes"=Dear Sons. LOL.
    Thank you, both. Why didn't I think of Jonathan Adler? I've been looking for Suzani-ish prints with the colors in Marcolo's post. DS not thrilled, so far, with Ikat, Suzani, or paisley. I will run both of your responses by the DS. Poof out; already has a brown leather and a black leather cube, and will reuse one of those. Also built bookshelves and stained them to match existing bedroom furniture. The lines of that lamp would definitely appeal to him. Off to see what he thinks about the sites.
    More thoughts welcome!

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Image of bed disappeared? It's a Bernhardt Melrose. I'll try a different source. Leather is dark brown. Does not look black IRL.
    {{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: In case embedded photo doesn't show up

• marcolo
    12 years ago

{{!gwi}}

The poof is just an example--just remember to carry your accent around in different finishes and textures.

Do NOT forget to check out the Jonathan Adler design-your-own-rug feature on the website. It's one way to get all of the colors in there.

I just picked the gold because you mention it. Personally my preference would be orange, and he has some good accessories and textiles in that color, too.

• les917
    12 years ago

What kind of a budget are we talking here? What other furniture does he need in the space? Will the space strictly be a bedroom, or will it also be an office or an exercise space, and how big is the room?

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    12 years ago

He doesn't need any more furniture in that bedroom, which is the master bedroom in his condo. I don't recall the dimensions, but the room comfortably accommodates the bed, two night tables, two book shelves, a chest of drawers, and a small computer desk. Exercise equipment, t.v., etc., are in other rooms. He'd like $1,000 to cover the rest of the bedroom accessories, but if that can't be done, a master plan and doing it in pieces will have to suffice. He wants to put wood floors in most of the rooms, eventually, but that is way in the future.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

The image must keep moving around on the Bernhardt site. Any chance you could post a pic of the room?

• kitchendetective
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I won't be there for a couple of weeks, unfortunately.

• caminnc
    12 years ago

How about some RL. I find some of his bedding to be very handsome, masculine and suitable for men.

• dalmadarling
    12 years ago

I saw your question and did a fun search - what a fun project! Along the same lines of caminnc's suggestions, here are a few things I found for you too:

[traditional bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by toronto interior designer Jennifer Simon

I thought this space was fun, too!

[contemporary bedroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2103) by sacramento interior designer Bruce R. Benning