Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lesleyintn

Mirror on mirror?

lesleyintn
13 years ago

Has anyone tried to mount a decorative mirror over another mirror? I have a wall to wall mirror in the bathroom and would like to update by mounting another mirror over the sink. Has anyone tried to drill through the large mirror for the hook? Should I try to hang the mirror from the ceiling? Or should I just remove the w2w mirror and replace with the decorative one. My house is fairly contemporary. Help!

Comments (10)

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

honestly, i don't think this is something i'd try myself. call someone!

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I agree...a professional would be advised. I think a decorative mirror over a w-w mirror would look fine if done properly.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I think someone on here has done it and posted pics but can't remember who. it looked great. I know they didnt drill into the mirror, which would be risky even for a professional I think.

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I think it would be worth it to call a professional. Check out the great pictures at My Notting Hill blog, Mirror over mirror.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Notting Hill

• larke
    13 years ago

You need a special drill bit (ask Hardware Dept/Power tools at Home Depot re which one, and someone who's used it before to do the job.

• lesleyintn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! The inspiration photos are just what I had in mind. Now I have to find out how it is done. Perhaps the designers had the mirror drilled by the glass professionals before installation.

• kellyleeann
    13 years ago

Leslyintn -

Saw this on one of the blogs I follow and had to post it, so you could see. She has layered a mirror on top of her wall size mirror, and took a super fat ribbon to the things on the back and hung it all on an old drapery finial above. I thought it was a great idea and easy solution for what you want to do.
    Hope this helps you out. I saw another post so when I find it I will post it for you as well.
    Good luck, BTW where are you in TN? I live in Hermitage.
    Kelly

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• User
    13 years ago

I have it in my daughter's bathroom because the mirror installer's assistant ruined the wallpaper, assuming it was a full wall mirror (we were supposed to hang a framed mirror there).

So, they went ahead and installed the full vanity mirror and then I had a smaller beveled mirror cut and installed over the large mirror, centered on the vanity.

I don't know how they did it--it looks much like the photo above, but I would hire a glass installer.

• daisymc
    13 years ago

Why dont you just hang the frame minus the mirror it would give you the same effect without the weight.

• lesleyintn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kelly- That is a great solution...and something even I could do! BTW I live in Nashville, so we are near each other.