Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lazy_gardens

Posting some progress :) and a drapery Q?

lazy_gardens
10 years ago

The design goal for this place is "Taos Hippy Colony/ Vintage New Mexico / Boho Ethnic Moroccan" but with less taste. It's a vacation home: an 1880s or older adobe in a small NM town ... so we don't want anything extravagant or difficult to care for.

We've realized that stripping the woodwork is not feasible, so eventually it will be covered with local pine or spruce in a simple craftsman style. In the meantime it will be painted.

Top candidate for the woodwork so far is a "manganese brown" which is really a dark greyed purplish color. It looks really good with the oak floors.
http://www.myperfectcolor.com/en/color/291641_Glidden-GLN45-Antique-Purple is close to it, but more brown.

Top candidate wall color is a pale - really pale - peach/cream color.

The window coverings - they don't deserve the label "treatment" - are off white fabric of some sort. They are boring. I want to replace them with floor-length draperies of some sort.

So, in keeping with the design goal:

Do I obey my over-the-hill hippie inclinations and use block-print Indian cotton bedspreads? Sari fabric?

Or find a boho-ethnic print?

Comments (7)

• 1929Spanish
    10 years ago

I love the nice block prints. I can't use them in my house, but they would look great in yours. For wall color, take a look at Behr Sandbox. I've had it on my walls for about ten years in two homes. Nice beige - not to yellow-off-white and not too tan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I think the Indian bedspreads could be fun.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

I like the angled furniture placement. Boho ethnic print sure sounds fun.

For the paint, i don't know about a peach color. I googled pale peach wall paint, and still can't see it.Do you have a color in mind?

• pugga
    10 years ago

I just purchased a throw made of sari fabrics and I love it. I think it would make really fun window covering.

Go with your "over-the-hill hippie" gut!

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/mayonnaise is very close to the wall color I want. Very faintly cream.

The selection of Indian blockprint bedspreads is nowhere as good as I had hoped. :( They all seem to be selling the same 10 patterns.

On to the saris, table linens and other fabrics.

I went through the online fabric vendors and came up with a bunch or possibilities ... need to run the decor past the SO.

Suzani, Ikat and similar prints. I'll need 15 yards for the three windows ... trying to keep total cosat of fabric and sunproof lining to And here's a close-up of the rug. I'm not totally attached to it, but it was there at the swap meet, just begging to come home with me.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fabric Gallery

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Don't know if you've seen this, but it might also fit the bill. Fields Fabrics is a very reputable fabric store in SW Michigan, I'd have no qualms contacting them to buy as much as you need or get swatches. NAYY

Here is a link that might be useful: FieldsFabrics

• lazy_gardens
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And the winner is .... (chosen by the SO) this one! I like the blue/brown/yellow scheme. He also wants the one in the link below: more subdued, but by the same maker, but we don't know where yet. They were on final clearance sale for so I bought all I could of both and will figure it out later.

Here is a link that might be useful: Another fabric