Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lhayes1976

Does this table work--or does it belong on the Ponderosa ranch?

Lisa Hayes
16 years ago

I really want a new coffee table--but most of them are very bulky. This one is from JCPenney's. I don't know why, but I keep going back to the website to look at it. I like it, but the description says it has leather-like trim around the glass area. Does that make it western style?

I bet you guys are sick of seeing this FR, but here is yet another picture

Comments (20)

• childofgrace
    16 years ago

Just wanted to say I have been watching your room transformation. Congratulations, you have done a wonderful job.

As for as the coffee table, nothing is wrong with it, BUUUUUUUUUTTTT Be patient and hold out for something that is a little less predictable.

• User
    16 years ago

Your subject line cracked me up actually... and I too kind of like that table. I think it would work very nicely in the room.

• kitchendetective
    16 years ago

You got somethin' against the Ponderosa?

• premier
    16 years ago

I can't see the leather-like trim. But looking at the legs and glass top, it looks more formal than the furniture you have.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It's very hard to find anything with a country/primitive touch to it. I took a trip to several furniture stores and I practically did a 100 yard dash through them. Everything seems to be very contemporary and that's definitely not my style and the few tables that I like were very large. Actually most of the coffee tables I looked at are on the large size.

I really just don't want to paint that table. I have a matching end table in storage and my DD is moving out soon and I thought I would let her have them both and let her decide what she would like to do with them.

I have two large gatherings during the holidays and I really would like to have a new coffee table by then. To tell you the truth I just don't have time or the energy to go out and physically shop (I'm a school teacher and I have the class from &^%$ this year) and I am so leery of ordering off the internet. I got so burned on a matching pair of chairs for my bedroom. I call them my Fred Flintstone chairs, because they feel like you're sitting on bedrock. The hunt continues.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

What kind of wood do you prefer, and what color stain? Do you absolutely want a glass top? What's your budget? I'll look around for you. :)

• maredog
    16 years ago

I like it and it seems to compliment the mantle and crown molding very well. The glass top lets the area rug show through and the leather trim would go well with the leather chair....hmmmm, I just noticed your comment about country primative and if that is your goal then maybe I would reconsider. The table has a traditional more formal feel to me.

• chris61
    16 years ago

Given the amount of wood in your room already with the panelling and the crown, plus your blue painted pieces you might look at some glass and metal tables. I think it will help lighten the feel of the room.

• les917
    16 years ago

No, not western style, more traditional library style with the nailheads and those legs. I went to JCP and looked at it more, and somehow it just doesn't seem to fit the room to me, the legs in particular. The other thing that crossed my mind was that if you have people who put their feet up on the table, the faux leather stands to get damaged pretty quickly, and might be difficult to repair.

I think you have the right idea about doing a glass top table to feel less bulky in the space. I would think about a simple dark iron table that would compliment the metals in the room, and if you paint the fireplace screen will also work well with that.

• Lisa Hayes
    Original Author
    16 years ago

How about this one:

• snickysnacker
    16 years ago

I just wanted to say how gorgeous your room looks; I also was reading through your prior post and the transformation is fantastic. I like the 2nd table you just posted. Again, great job with the room. I like country/primitive also!

• wodka
    16 years ago

I really like the second one, too. To me, the first one's legs look too big.

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Well, heck, I like the first table! I think the second table is too spindly and fragile-looking.

I like the first table because the rounded edges echo the rounded edges of your chair and your couch. And of course the leather goes with the chair.

• sweets98
    16 years ago

I LOVE the paint change! I must have missed your previous post showing that. Amazing difference!

I really do not see a primitive style in your family room. I mean the plaid couch can be Prim, the endtable, the coffee table but the other pieces, like the shiny brass around the fire place, the floral lampshade, the floral pillows with all the fringe, the scroll work above the mantel...are not Prim, maybe more French or English country but not Prim. I know you have pieces that could appear primitive but your room is much more "fancier" than the simple look of Prim. I can sympathize on the issue that it's hard to find country or Prim stuff out there when shopping, though. Stores and decorating shows and what not seem to think country is out, so they don't have it. What they don't realize is that not everyone follows the trends and there are people out there that like differnet things. I have found that many items can be made to go with country, though with some work. I paint a lot of items and it instantly transforms them. Now you wouldn't want to buy a brand new coffee table and spend a fortune to go and paint it, but you could try second hand shops :) I have also learned to sew and do other crafty things so that I can get what I want, not just what's out there to buy!

Good luck!

• amysrq
    16 years ago

I like metal and glass and have found lots to look at at the Carolina Rustica website. Remember, you won't get burned on a coffee table like you did with the chairs. It is difficult to know how a chair will feel when you order sight unseen, but tables are another story.

Here is a link that might be useful: CR

• les917
    16 years ago

I love the barley twist legs on the second table, but I think the overall feel is too delicate for your other furniture.

Thinking in terms of a metal and glass table, you might even look at outdoor iron furniture - you could even find something on clearance at this time of year.

• wodka
    16 years ago

If you decide to go with the second one, I just found it on Overstock's website for $219.99. Comparable price: $529.99.

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Now, Hoss would have busted up any glass topped table. So no, it does not belong at the Ponderosa ranch.

Look at riversidefurniture.com for a large variety of tables.

• organic_smallhome
    16 years ago

love2weed: Would you mind sharing the brand of that table. I love it!!!

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I wouldn't want to see a glass top table in that room at all. I'd rather see you hit the antique stores and find a lovely trunk, maybe even a painted one (I used to have a milk painted red trunk that would be fabulous in your room). You'd get the bulk you need to offset that large furniture, and a primitive look but also, it would be thinner and really, you don't have room for a big coffee table in there. It would ruin the flow.

I agree you need something, but I'd like to see something better than that. Heck I once had a goat cart (they're coffee table height) as a coffee table with glass on it. It was quite fun. That would be better than a traditional table with skinny legs. You need bulk girlfriend! The scale of anything with tiny legs just won't work!