Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

How much to pay for hemming of curtains

theclose
10 years ago

Hi All,

In a bit of a quandary. The woman who cleans my house said she used to be a seamstress and offered to hem my daughter's curtains (including blackout panels for a total of 8 panels). She told me to pay her what I think is fair. Well, I don't know! I kept asking her to tell me how much and she refused. I have had curtains made, but never just hemmed.

So, what is fair? $15/panel, for a total of $120? $20/panel, for a total of $160? I want to be fair and not take advantage. She did a nice job and they are the proper length, etc.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (24)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Call a local tailor or dry cleaner and see what they would charge...

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Are the blackout panels attached to the curtains, or are they separate? If the curtains are lined with the blackout panels, then the process is more difficult.

If it truly is 8 separate panels, then $10 per panel is a good price, and $15 is generous. Once you do the measuring, cutting, folding, and pinning, you can sew a panel on a sewing machine in a minute or two, then iron it. Total time for each panel should be under 30 minutes for an experienced seamstress. That comes out to $20-30 per hour.

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you both so much!!

Annie, I will call to make sure. Good idea.

Graywings, the blackout panels are not attached, so 8 separate panels. It didn't seem labor intensive to me but I am not a sewer! If I can't get a good answer over the phone, maybe I'll offer $100 and take it from there.

Thanks again!

• theclose
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Figured I should update this in case anyone does a search. I called a dry cleaner but they wouldn't give me a price w/o seeing the curtains. I ended up paying $100. I asked if $80 was fair and she said yes, hesitatingly. I told her then she needs to tell me. She said $100 and that was that. I felt it was a fair price.

Thanks for your assistance!!

• adarden97
    8 years ago

I came across this post and had a few comments in case people are using this information for cost information. I am a professional seamstress and was surprised by the commentor above, who I suspect is a home sewer. That is our professional problem- home sewers don't know the difference. Professional seamstress are like any other profession- the cost of their services includes their equipment, education and time. I have expenses like machine maintenance and professional tools and supplies I use. Professional tools, like in any line of work, cost a lot. I would never waste my time for $10 a panel. I think $15/panel is fine for cheap and simple curtains with a visible hemline (meaning they just stitched a straight line with a machine). I would want a blind-hem stitch instead. If you are getting a friend with a home sewing machine, maybe you can be a cheapskate and offer her $10/panel, or if you take it to a small alterations/dry cleaner, who makes their money off the dry cleaning. They generally do cheap, fast, sloppy alterations for $10.

• graywings123
    8 years ago

I think it is unfair to call someone a cheapskate when the person doing the work puts you in the awkward position of not giving you a price for their work. I have seen some excellent work come from small alteration/dry cleaner shops (I'm the daughter of a tailor). Sewing is like any other trade - you may get what you pay for, you may get less or you may get more.

What is your hourly rate, adarden97?

• User
    8 years ago

This price is from a 2 year old thread. Price also reflects location, location, location.

• Kelsey Powers
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

@adarden87 I would love to get some advice from you! I have a textile degree and many other qualifications that make me a great seamstress but I've started my own thing and I'm horrible at pricing I see posts like this and feel that no one will pay! And I agree this is very costly for us it hard to say I'll drive to and hour for $180! I do it because I need to put food on our table for my 3 and 4 year old but I try not to do jobs for that little all the time.. but after doing my gas mileage and over head expenses I end up even or sometime in the red. I want to figure out how to stop doing this so you have an suggestions?

And to everyone else if shes making $30 that means she is really only making $15 when you consider cost of self employment. ( maybe less)

I would think she should be making $40 a panel maybe more. That's paying for her machine, thread etc. this so a specialty ( I think she offered to be nice so I'm sure she was happy with the $100 though)

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

WOW Lazy has given you gold standard advice.

• bashioumml
    6 years ago

If she is a good cleaning lady and did a good job on the curtains why not pay her $20 x 8 = $160 to show your appreciation for a job well done and to let her know that she is appreciated...I would like her number as I am in the market for a good cleaning lady. MLB

• amk10936
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I'm a professional seamstress for over 48 years. For some reason, people don't mind paying top dollar for getting their hair cut and dyed, plus they have to go every so many weeks. But when they come to a professional seamstress for a job that is done only one time, some have a problem with our prices. Why is that? Everyone that commented on prices for hemming curtains forgot to take into consideration that measuring the curtains, (and I measure 2 times because they're not sewed correctly from the manufacturer. If folded lengthwise, one side is always longer than the other.) marking the proper length, measuring for the hem, and then pressing and pinning before sewing, is all included in the final price. Trade jobs are slowly dying. Also take into consideration, the width of each panel. I charge per panel. I don't work hourly on curtains, and would not settle for anything less than $15-$18 per panel for an average width. Double panels are much more.

• pearl285
    6 years ago

I am a professional seamstress as well. My charge for hemming draperies is $20 per layer per panel for a double folded hem for up to 60" width. If it is a simple window curtain which is half as wide my fee is $10 per panel.

• PRO
    AD Couture Home
    4 years ago

We are looking for a seamstress for home decor items drapes, pillows, duvets, etc to sew 20-60 panels per month depending on how much work is desired by the seamstress. It is contract work that can be done from home. Please contact us at adchome@adcouturehome.com if you are interested. I saw this post with professional seamstresses and we are in need of assistance.

• HU-664635064
    3 years ago

I hired a seamstress to cut off and rehem 4 panels 37" wide × 63 " long, each. She charged 80 dollars but deducted 15 dollars because I keep her supplied with hangers. I had just given her about 100 of them. I will admit I don't buy them, get them from my son-in-law as they dry clean his work shirts or wash them, not sure. I know he doesn't wash them at home, and he saves them for me. But she ended up charging me 65 dollars. I couldn't believe it . Thought it was a little much. So I will ask you ladies that are in the business, was it a fair price. The curtains were 100% Polyester. But very nice. The hangers are brand new, just used that one time, and they're the wire ones. So I really would like your opinion. If not for the hangers, she would have charged me 80 dollars for 4 panels

• clt3
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Really? Figure out how long it would take you to do and a fair hourly rate. No, I don’t think it was too much.

• shadylady2u
    3 years ago

Sounds fair to me.

• HU-971050858
    3 years ago

I just altered 6 double panel and 4 single Ethan Allen Drapers they from 103 to 87 had to cut down to 85 to give a inch hem to make them 84 inches I don’t know how long it took me to do this. I just don’t know what to charge? Please help!

• Dana C.
    3 years ago

I would be sure you are making at least $20/hr for your time.

• Tanya T
    2 years ago

I was looking up the price for hemming curtains and it seems like a professional depending on location and type of curtains lined or unlined started from $15 and up a panel. It also stated that when hemming curtains magnets should be put in hem to make sure they hang straight afterward, which I understand. My question here is in these prices is anyone including magnets because that should make a difference. I know from dresses sometimes you hem them and wash them and the thread might get snagged and cause the hem to pull making it a little uneven.

• clt3
    2 years ago

You use lead weights, not magnets and they’re inexpensive.

• Tanya T
    2 years ago

I meant weights lol, but that's good to know the cost.

• HU-697779421
    last year

To the person that said the seamstress at the drycleaner would do a ”cheap, sloppy job” - i have worked at a seamstress for a dry cleaner for 40+ years and i have always altered clothing the way i would like it to turn out. i have redone things that someone else had tried first. i do not do a ”sloppy, cheap job” on anything.

• HU-593500585
    5 months ago

I am so glad I found this site. I had 8 panels of black out curtains to be shortened. this was a cleaning lady. She sent me a bill of $1900.00. The curtains to buy were $120. I was in shock and told her I couldnt pay that price. I gave her $150.00. Still cant believe it.