Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tetrazzini

does black stone in fpl and kitchen limit upholstery colors in LR

tetrazzini
16 years ago

i am clueless when it comes to design principles. this is the problem. we have a 7' tall, 3' wide, soapstone fireplace/heater standing between the kitchen and living room. it's a medium gray color, very modern looking. here's a picture:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fireplace-systems.com/work/tulikivi_bg_001.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.fireplace-systems.com/work/chimney_systems.htm&h=412&w=289&sz=33&hl=en&start=1&um=1&tbnid=qASltmNnUlQ_gM:&tbnh=125&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtulikivi%26svnum%3D10%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26channel%3Ds%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN

there's a 2' opening on each side of it, so you can see from one room to the other. it's caused a few decorating difficulties. (we just put it in 5 years ago.) for one thing, we already have an 18th centuryish fieldstone fireplace in the room, tho it's not functional. they clash in style and in terms of what to use as a focus in the LR. so i decided to resurface the fireplace in soapstone. at least this way, they don't clash stylistically.

but i'm also contemplating installing soapstone countertops and white cabinets in the kitchen. Question: i like black and white in kitchens, but do you think it's kind of limiting in terms of the tone it sets? would the soapstone in the kitchen and fireplace preclude using old english floral- type colors in the furniture?

thanks for any help!

Comments (8)

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Hmmm, it would be nice if you could have some pictures, but next time, just copy the properties and post the picture so the URL does not eat up the page. (:

{{!gwi}}

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

patricia, you've motivated me to learn how to create a link and also post a picture. that's good -- i needed to learn that! i'll post more info later.

debbie

• teacats
    16 years ago

If at all possible -- I would remove this heater! It will always "intrude" on your room's classic design .....

Just a thought -- really!!!

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

teacats,

you might be right, but i'm hoping to ease it into the rest of the decor. we don't want to remove it. we just had it installed 5 years ago at a cost of nearly $20,000! when we added a second floor we decided to heat our house in as environmentally friendly a way as we could reasonably do, and this was our choice. it weighs 7000# and is kind of like a big dog: warm and friendly, and we all like to cozy up to it and have the fire going, and it makes great bread in the oven!! (it's a very efficient and clean-burning wood stove. you just build one fire in it a day, the whole thing heats up, and warmth radiates from it for the next 24 hours.)

unfortunately, i did not give any thought to the visual impact it would have on the rooms. it's actually a very handsome thing, the picture may not do it justice. it is, however, pretty starkly modern, when i lean toward classic features in the rest of the house. that's why i'm considering soapstone in the kitchen and other LR fireplace, to kind of tie things together.

i just don't know if the use of dark soapstone (black, really) would stop me from using the colors i like in the living room, which are greens and blues and pinks. soapstone seems a little serious for that. or am i wrong? as i said, i'm pretty clueless about decorating!

thanks,

debbie

• annzgw
    16 years ago

I see no reason why black soapstone couldn't be used in the kitchen and you continue with your other colors in the LR. I wouldn't let the heating unit determine my decorating style, tho you will have to keep its color in mind when selecting other stone, flooring, furniture, etc.
    Instead of carrying the black slate into the LR you can pull the greens, blues, etc into the kitchen with accessories and rugs.

Have you considered closing up the non-functional fireplace? If it will never be used then make the wall space useable. If you plan to resell, you would just let the buyers know there's a chimney behind the wall in case they plan to remodel the home.

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

yes, i have thought of closing it up, but i've gotten used to having the furniture around it (we used to use it). i think it can still work as a focal point.

I'm hoping if i keep the soapstone unoiled, and it stays gray instead of a hard black, it will go well enough with the softer colors of the furniture i have in mind.

thanks.

• hoosiergirl
    16 years ago

You have a Tulikivi?! How cool! I wish I'd have known about them when we were building. I don't think the black will limit you, it's more the style that might be limiting. BUT if I were you, I'd decorate in my own style anyway. IMO, it shouldn't detract or preclude you from Old English florals. Also, a black and white kitchen is classic wouldn't interfere with your floral furniture. Enjoy your warmth!!!

• tetrazzini
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for the decorating encouragement! i don't know why it seems scary to me.

the way the weather is going so far, i don't know when we'll even start using the Tulikivi regularly!! this is the farthest into fall we've ever gone without cranking it up every day.

btw, my husband says it was more like $17,000, not $20,000. i've bought cars that won't last as long as it will.